glad i have a winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmc

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.expeditionamericas.com
My intent was to spend all 3 days of the long weekend wandering the region West of Delta UT. A 40mph wind made camping less than desirable so I logged one very long day this weekend. About 300miles on dirt with some pavement mixed in for good measure.

I was exploring the mountains around Notch Peak. I found a fairly well traveled road and headed in the general direction I wanted to go so I took it. I came upon a ledge of loose limestone that I was pretty sure but not positive I could get back up. I got out and walked around the corner. The two track continued so I decided to give it a shot. Made it down without issue and continue down the track. About 1/2 mile later it got much worse. Being solo I decided to walk some more. About 200 yards down the wash ended with a 150 foot spill over.

Dejected I turned back toward the pavement. Well the ledge was a bit trickier than expected for various reason. One, my front locker wouldn't engage. Two, my air tank was home in my garage and I was at least 100 miles from the nearest gas station I didn't really want to air down. Three, the bottom of the wash was extremely soft, like pea gravel.

I gave the ledge a few attempts, testing the strength of my Slee sliders. No luck. Instead of getting really stupid I admitted defeat and went for the winch. The PO had never used the winch and I wasn't sure the 9500lb Ramsey Patriot would be enough. Not because I had to but because I could I locked my hand throttle in at 2k RPM and used the brake and winch to slowly pull myself up. Piece of cake extraction. I took some poseur pics while I was out there as well.
dmc
IMG_0129 (Medium).jpg
IMG_0131 (Small).jpg
IMG_0132 (WinCE).jpg

Yeah, yeah, it was a lot steeper than it looks in those photos.... :D

TJK

Hey Dave--

I kinda like the poser/environment pics. the best. I really enjoy seeing how people present their rigs to other through the pics.

Your pics say: "I can take this truck anywhere and I have some of the best trail riding anywhere" To which I might reply, "Damn, I miss the West!!"

Nice write-up...thanks for sharing bro.

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

Dmc, really nice pics! I like the sunset ones!! Just curious, are you locked? Thanks for pics...

Kaderabek said:
Yeah, yeah, it was a lot steeper than it looks in those photos.... :D

TJK

Shouldn't you be in rehab or drugged up or something? You caught me. Okay I admit it I'm a bad driver. The obstacle was a piece of cake it was all staged. Even this part...
dmc
IMG_0134 (Medium).jpg

cc93cruiser said:
Dmc, really nice pics! I like the sunset ones!! Just curious, are you locked? Thanks for pics...

I am locked but I think my front solenoid has decided it doesn't like me and won't engage my locker. I think I would have made it no problem with a front locker. I have J's on the front but not the L shocks. A little more travel may have given enough traction to get up as well.

beno said:
Damn, I miss the West!!"

I do what I can to torture those who aren't as lucky as I am. One of my goals of posting these pics is to convince Concretejungle to move out here.
dmc

Well, if CJ comes out west from NC, then I'll have to leave Ohio and come back out West...Maybe I'll beat CJ to moving and grab him too...

Later man.
-onur
Akron, OH

goes to remind one never to wheel alone, eh...? :D

Dave,

Do you usually wheel alone? Nice pics by the way.

Biff said:
Dave,

Wasatch Cruisers has monthly runs so I would say 60% of the time I'm with other people. The other 40% I go by myself. I wouldn't necessarily call it wheeling however. Very rarely do I have to put it in 4low. Most the time it's just wandering around on dirt roads exploring places I've never been.

I've been doing it for 10 years and have yet to have any incidents. Luckily I'm still healthy enough that I can always hike to where I can get help. I carry water and hiking shoes with me in the off chance something happens. Honestly I've learned never to do anything extreme by myself. Half the reason I sold the Taco in lieu of the 80 is that I caught myself going way too fast far too often. That is a recipe for disaster because a mistake means a rollover and injury instead of a dent and a long walk.

Over the years I have learned however to at least tell people where I am headed before I go and when to expect me back. 5 years ago I would just up and go. No plan, no communication. I see now that it was folly.

I have no plans to stop exploring by myself. I'm building my 80 to be completely self sufficient as well as my skill set. I find great solace and satisfaction in my little excursions and would prefer not to exchange that for safety of numbers. Self reliance is something I place great value on. In all aspects of life. I'm trying to extend it to my recreation as well.

Man that took a lot of words to just say 'yep.'
dmc

I enjoy wheeling alone quite a bit. With preparation and common sense, it carries a very acceptable risk vs reward factor in my opinion. I also backpack alone occasionally.

dmc said:
Shouldn't you be in rehab or drugged up or something? You caught me. Okay I admit it I'm a bad driver. The obstacle was a piece of cake it was all staged. Even this part...
dmc

The pictures are really good.

Is this like the spray on mud? :D

Last edited:
Wasatch Cruisers has monthly runs so I would say 60% of the time I'm with other people. The other 40% I go by myself. I wouldn't necessarily call it wheeling however. Very rarely do I have to put it in 4low. Most the time it's just wandering around on dirt roads exploring places I've never been.

I've been doing it for 10 years and have yet to have any incidents. Luckily I'm still healthy enough that I can always hike to where I can get help. I carry water and hiking shoes with me in the off chance something happens. Honestly I've learned never to do anything extreme by myself. Half the reason I sold the Taco in lieu of the 80 is that I caught myself going way too fast far too often. That is a recipe for disaster because a mistake means a rollover and injury instead of a dent and a long walk.

Over the years I have learned however to at least tell people where I am headed before I go and when to expect me back. 5 years ago I would just up and go. No plan, no communication. I see now that it was folly.

I have no plans to stop exploring by myself. I'm building my 80 to be completely self sufficient as well as my skill set. I find great solace and satisfaction in my little excursions and would prefer not to exchange that for safety of numbers. Self reliance is something I place great value on. In all aspects of life. I'm trying to extend it to my recreation as well.

Man do I envy you. Thats my goal to be able to go out whenever for how ever long(hopefully in a couple years). Hopefully with my photography, it'll help me to go out like that.... So much yet I have to see of Colorado/Utah let alone the rest of the country. And a 80, I think is going to be my vehicle of choice. Dave, do you get to the Swell that much? Nice pics by the way.

cruiseroutfit said:
Dave, you are my hero! :D

Kurt,

I'm just trying to keep up with you. It's easy to do it in an 80. If I tried to wander as much as you do in my 40, my kidneys, back and baldspot would all be trash.
dmc

Biff said:
Dave,

Dave is the designated Wasatch Cruisers Search and Rescue practice dummy. Or maybe he's more like the club boomerang - we send him out to find cool wheeling spots and hope he comes back.

dmc said:
Kurt,

I'm just trying to keep up with you. It's easy to do it in an 80. If I tried to wander as much as you do in my 40, my kidneys, back and baldspot would all be trash.
dmc

Comfy seats, a soft suspension, and good headrests fix that... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom