Give it to me straight-how bad is it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

projectTuRD

SILVER Star
Threads
Do I clean everything up, replace everything?

12329B7D-BAAA-42CB-B4FF-8FC0BF6FA9EB.jpeg

8ACFB134-F124-4C60-84FD-72C29A2791BB.jpeg

237E0C74-A1AA-4B52-AC9B-DE5F369F2624.jpeg

FDF0FE79-7F04-4EBC-AF84-51804DD9ADFC.jpeg

X2 and drain the oil/water ASAP.. if you are going to sit on it fir a while I would fill it with used motor oil to stop corrosion while you figure it out. Head gasket fail?

I would plan on seeing if you can get a good compression test , pull pan off , check condition and clearance on rod and main bearings , then if needed , complete overhaul , does it run ?

I would plan on seeing if you can get a good compression test , pull pan off , check condition and clearance on rod and main bearings , then if needed , complete overhaul , does it run ?
It runs (ran) great, but slowly started to lose power slightly.
It never steamed or smoked though.

What caused the obvious water issue, was it really a head gasket leak....looks more like it was submerged...or flooded.....with salt water?

Before you start trying to break loose the bolts, soak the heck out of them wit WD or whatever rust-buster you find.

What caused the obvious water issue, was it really a head gasket leak....looks more like it was submerged...or flooded.....with salt water?

Before you start trying to break loose the bolts, soak the heck out of them wit WD or whatever rust-buster you find.
I don’t think it was flooded, there’s no other evidence of it.
The oil was high, the water low, milkshake on the oil cap and dipstick.

Drain the oil/ water concoction, pull the head and replace the HG. Cleanup as you go. Add a fresh oil filter, oil & coolant. It’ll be fine.

FWIW: Whenever I’ve R&R’d heads, I’ve always drained and refilled fluids after a few miles to make sure I flush out unwanted garbage that may be floating around the systems.

Drain the oil/ water concoction, pull the head and replace the HG. Cleanup as you go. Add a fresh oil filter, oil & coolant. It’ll be fine.

FWIW: Whenever I’ve R&R’d heads, I’ve always drained and refilled fluids after a few miles to make sure I flush out unwanted garbage that may be floating around the systems.
👍👍

If I was gonna pull the head, I would just pull the long block. Then you can clean, inspect, repair, re seal.
Whoa!

Pulling the engine is a bit more involved than popping the head off. I personally would not do this unless I suspected something much more significant than a head gasket issue.

Whoa!

Pulling the engine is a bit more involved than popping the head off. I personally would not do this unless I suspected something much more significant than a head gasket issue.
Going back to the original post, for some reason I got the impression that the engine was already out and on a stand , ( I’m not sure why I assumed that )

Pinpoint the cause.

If there is coolant in the oil, is there oil in the coolant?

I once heard that you could see bubbles with the radiator cap removed, once the thermostat is open or removed, when your head gasket is blown. Don't remove the radiator cap from a hot engine, unless it has a pressure release valve.

Are you having the head magnafluxed?

You have at least 3 DEAD exhaust valves. You can tell by how hot they got.

Try and fill the runners with water and see how bad the leak.

Do yourself a favor and have the head redone and valves reseated.

7C761D47-4E5E-4086-931F-A4F19F2BFDDE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom