Gila NF weather and road conditions and trip suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking of heading into Gila NF in a few days. Just kind of exploring and looking around for a few days. Any idea of if the roads will be passable or snowed in. I know some elevations are pretty high. But i have never been there at all. Any ideas or suggestions of areas to go or avoid?

Most of the roads in the Gila are no big deal. There are exceptions, of course. But, we haven't had that much snow. I would worry more about mud. I say just go, and have fun.

Want a track to get you started? Do the section of NM Backcountry Discovery Route from I-25 to US60, or at least Reserve. And take detours off the BDR.

I second Pappy's suggestion of using NMBDR as a good, safe way to introduce oneself to the Gila.

I highly recommend you download the FS Interactive Visitor Map to your phone or tablet. You can get it in the Play Store (Android). Make sure to download the Gila Forest after you have the app.

Thanks guys. As always we will see if these plans come together or of I end up finding another adventure. I really want to get out on my bike but that would need to be closer to santa fe. I dont feel like pulling the bike trailer all the way from Angle fire to Gila.

Most of the roads in the Gila are no big deal. There are exceptions, of course. But, we haven't had that much snow. I would worry more about mud. I say just go, and have fun.

Want a track to get you started? Do the section of NM Backcountry Discovery Route from I-25 to US60, or at least Reserve. And take detours off the BDR.

I second Pappy's suggestion of using NMBDR as a good, safe way to introduce oneself to the Gila.

It looks like that's my ticket. Thanks fellas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom