Getting cold feet about the jump from 4Runner to 100 Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

every issue you listed is an inexpensive fix. if you are not a DIY kind of guy this can be an expensive rig, but if you are this is relatively inexpensive. my most costly repair has been my sunroof at $700 in parts alone. i did all the work myself, but there wasnt any aftermarket parts for this (cable assembly left and right, and the cable guide assembly).

I paid 3700 for my 99 (with rear locker) with 268k on it. Some small minor things like yours and not as clean but rust free and overall a pretty solid rig to work from. Just for comparison.

Considerably less mileage but triple the cost? I think 9 would be a fair price.

BCEADD23-B6A0-4F8C-9F00-3D7A0A3007C4.jpeg

I would just keep looking. While none of the issues are big deals on their own, all together they're a headache. Why make that part of your first few months with the vehicle, unless you're getting a screaming deal?

Better trucks are out there for the same price. Just be patient, and ready to jump when you find one.

I haven't priced hundy's in a few years, but it really feels like too much money, especially because it needs things that do need to be fixed as to not be annoying. The fixes are small, but even without those, price is high.

your post makes me feel really good about the 99 I picked up earlier this year

so you've got that going for you

As far as paint, he showed me pics of the paint before and it just looked dull. Nothing super fishy to me there.
That's actually very fishy to me, a paint correction at a detail shop would be far more practical, convenient, cheaper, and logical. There's more to this story I dare say. Buy @suprarx7nut's rig when it's ready, higher miles but a known and respected member/seller/vendor here who will support you after the sale on anything that comes up I'm sure.

That's actually very fishy to me, a paint correction at a detail shop would be far more practical, convenient, cheaper, and logical. There's more to this story I dare say. Buy @suprarx7nut's rig when it's ready, higher miles but a known and respected member/seller/vendor here who will support you after the sale on anything that comes up I'm sure.

Just got my LX back from the glass/tint shop so the 99 is coming up for sale soon! Just need to clean her up for some good pictures.

12k should get you an 03/04 at current market. 5 speed is a must for me. Point of reference I paid 9900 last summer for an 06 with timing belt done. 1 owner. Southern car. Lx470. I was on fence of buying something close to 200k miles. But as long as the maintenance is there this thing should go well pass 500k miles.

I paid $6000 for my 99 LX with 245,000. Very well maintained by dealer, zero rust, one owner...
But I had to give a stranger a deposit and fly to Phoenix from Seattle. And it took me a year to find it.

Also, do you NEED to sell the Runner? Can you keep both?

I paid $9,500 for an '03 LX with 260,000 miles. It has all new leather, new lexus windshield (w/ nightview $$$), new OEM headlights, new OEM radiator, timing belt recently done, newish Michelin tires, a total rebuilt of the stereo (new amp, speakers, and bluetooth - $3,600), everything works and receipts for all of it. I have only had to fix the A/C drain leak, a stuck cup holder cover, replace the rear springs, and use techstream to get AHC in spec.

$12K is way too high.

id still put away 2-3k for things needed to be replaced like starter/ alternator/ cv axles/ IFFFFF there is no documented repairs on these like the tb/wp that was done.

these old 100s need alot of love before they can run for another 200k miles....

im actually more suspicious of a 99 with ONLY 156k miles

The repaint is weird, but could be 21 years of sitting outside in the sun without wax. I honestly would want more answers on why it was repainted, who painted it, etc. I'd bring it by a body shop for an inspection.

Outside of that, there being a number of little things with it isn't uncommon and wouldn't put me off.

The lower mileage isn't suspicious at all - that's 7500 miles per year. As a blanket statement, I don't know many commuters who would buy a Land Cruiser, and those that do care about comfort over longer distances. My cruiser had 170k on it and was owned by a pilot. He drove it to the airport 2 hours each way and when flying was gone for 3-5 days at a time. I work from home and add 5,000-7500 miles a year to mine, mostly on trips.

The price isn't bad. I'd dock the price for the repaint unless it was VERY well done. I'd dock the price for the repairs it needs. $9-10k would be a reasonable price if the paint is good and you fix a few things.

I'd be more inclined to stretch my budget 1-2k if I were you and buy something from one of the maintenance addicts on this forum (I include myself in that assessment). @suprarx7nut's cruiser, for example, is for sale.

Last edited:
The repaint is weird, but could be 21 years of sitting outside in the sun without wax. I honestly would want more answers on why it was repainted, who painted it, etc. I'd bring it by a body shop for an inspection.

Outside of that, there being a number of little things with it isn't uncommon and wouldn't put me off.

The lower mileage isn't suspicious at all - that's 7500 miles per year. As a blanket statement, I don't know many commuters who would buy a Land Cruiser, and those that do care about comfort over longer distances. My cruiser had 170k on it and was owned by a pilot. He drove it to the airport 2 hours each way and when flying was gone for 3-5 days at a time. I work from home and add 5,000-7500 miles a year to mine, mostly on trips.

The price isn't bad. I'd dock the price for the repaint unless it was VERY well done. I'd dock the price for the repairs it needs. $9-10k would be a reasonable price if the paint is good and you fix a few things.

I'd be more inclined to stretch my budget 1-2k if I were you and buy something from one of the maintenance addicts on this forum (I include myself in that assessment). @suprarx7nut's cruiser, for example, is for sale.
Was for sale at this point, I think. Deposit received and dude flying out this week to pickup. Judging by the number of full asking price offers I got sight unseen, I think I priced it a little low. Probably could have gotten $14, maybe even $15k if I got lucky. The market is definitely widening lately. Nice examples can go for 2-3x a poorly listed and "meh" maintained one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom