Getting back into the swing of things. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I guess after about a year of not posting anything and reading everything....its probably time i start again. :whoops: i want to do some stuff to my LC now, and have the time, so ill start off with a little story...

I guess ive always been a landcruiser fan since i was 5 years old. i saw one, didnt really care what it look like, and the only thing i really remember about it was the sweet name..."land cruiser." it just appealed to me since i was in the mood for big trucks and suvs at the time and the name fit that criteria.

fast foward a couple of years. i was on a family vacation down to florida when i was about 12 or 13 headed to see my grandparents. my grandpa is an avid hunter, and in the winter, when not living up here in Michigan, he hunts wild pig down south. to facilitate his hunting desires and to get him to his hunting spots, my dad had told me that grandpa sold his 2001 lincoln navigator for what could only be called "a Pig buggy." standing in my grandparents driveway, my dad opened the garage and sitting there was the "pig buggy," a 1996, dark green land cruiser.

i walked up to get a closer look. inside, leather, wood grain,a moonroof, and just over 60k on the odemeter, i was the little kid in a candy shop. i hopped in it, and that is where i spent the rest of the night. (I dont know why) The next morning, i woke up to the sound of my grandpa turning on the pig buggy, and on our way to breakfast, i told him what a sweet ride he had and how much i loved it. for the rest of our week long trip, if we went somewhere, it was in the pig buggy. every time the pig buggy was brought up, i told him how much i loved it and told him that i was going to have one too. he laughed. for the next 2 years every time we went down there, i guess, out of just silly habit, or dumb tradition, i always spent the first night in the landcruiser.but the third year we went down there, looking foward to my night in the PB, i was dissapointed to hear that my grandpa had sold the landcruiser and bought a 2004 navigator.

that summer, my grandpa had me working like a mother around his house, cutting down trees, removing stumps, ripping out old rail road tracks, and mowing his horse pasture and apple feilds (no horses at that time though. thats why i was mowing it.) he said he would give the money i earned to my mom or dad so that they could put it in my back account. i took my parents word for it that they had put it there...

couple of weeks before my 16th birthday, i asked my dad what i was gonna do for a car. he told me that once i turned 16, that he would help me pick out a car and since it would almost be a month after my birthday until i could drive, that there was not a huge rush. well my 16th birthday came, and we went over to my grandparents house that night for cake and ice cream. after the cake, my grandparents told me that my present was too big to bring upstairs and that we would have to go downstairs to open it. on the doorway leading into the garage was a card. so i opended the card and it read something like "behind this door is your preasent. its yours. we hope you like it." so i opened the door, and there was the pig buggy. i could not believe it! the same buggy that was down in florida was now sitting in my grandparents garage in michigan, and it was mine...unbelieveable.

when i got it, suprisingly, it only had 93,000 miles on it. meaning my grandpa didnt drive it much during those 3 years which was good. the leather and wood are in good shape. the emblems are gold plated, every window in the thing was tinted in that purplish tint, except for the windsheild wich had just a little strip at the top. the people really did a good job putting it in, there werent any bubbles. sunroof, and a bug deflector. oh, i almost forgot. it has a turbocharger in it. :flipoff2:

i am now 17, and just last week rolled over to 103,000 miles. there are few things that i have done to it. at night, the window tint was getting a little too dark and hard for me to see. so i took a box cutting blade and took it off. then i moved on to the rear hatch window, the back windows on the doors and last, the little strip on the windsheild. looks alot better i think, and its a little easier to see out of. the stock bridgestone dulers were replaced (almost unfortunately) buy dayton timberline at's. (dad said so) :doh: the white lettering looks kinda outta place, but other than that i cant complain. all of the speakers are blown. not my doing though. so i am replacing those..dont know what with at this point in time though. the leather and wood are in great condition because i try to condition it about every week or every other week. there isnt any rust on it because i wash it every week and try to wax it every month. i do everything i need to do to keep it running well and looking great. and it's mine as long as i keep my grades above a 3.5. otherwise my parents take the keys. thats fine with me. its completly fair.

bottom line is that i love my cruiser. i cant imagine driving anyhting else. i am blessed with parents and grandparents that love me enough to do this for me. its a dream come true and thank them from the bottom of my heart.

Welcome back. :flipoff2:

Do you get to build it up now or do you need to wait another year?

That's a damn good story... It's great that things like that still happen in this day in age. Edit it and ask a bs question about tire pressure so it stays in this forum. I know alot of people will want to read it.

That's great to hear.

It seems that you're one of those teenagers that actual values what you have been given. It refreshing that there are still 17 year olds that don't aspire to be "Gang Bangers" or bumbs. You must have a great family network with loving parents.

Good for you!

BTW, try to stay away from the Bling Bling trap. Most teenagers lower everything and put chrome wheels on, only to look back and say, "what was I thinking!" Don't ask me how I know this ;)

Refreshing positive outlook of youth.
At first I saw that long post and skipped down.
Saw some positive comments went back a read.
Glad I did, your story rocks.
Sleeping the back of the pigbuggy. You have to make that your login.
Do a search on speakers. Most seems to go with eclipse tho they are getting hard to find. I also have a 96 but mine has 170K on her. Runs better now then when I got it at 131K.

topend yobbo said:
that nearly made me cry.What was THECHNICAL about that?

"THECHNICALLY" speaking...he loves his 80.

Nuff said.

Oh...good story. You sound like a fine young man, so...

:flipoff2: to you!

Have done/ need to do

Thanks for all the comments. My parents raised me to be the person i am today. hats off to them. :cheers:

Heres a list of things that i've done...
-I took off the tint. it was getting hard to see.
-somebody was goofing around in the school parking lot and broke my bug deflector. Fixed that too.
-on my way to physical therapy (pole vaulting accident) and the starter wouldnt turn over. took it to get fixed, and was told i needed a new starter. I got one.
-less than a week later, i was comming out of church, went to start it, but no fuel was getting into the engine. the starter just turned. suspected the fuel pump, took it in to get it fixed, and told me the pump was shot. i got a new one put in.
-i could not depend on my low beams because they werent very bright. got some GE Nighthawks for christmas and put those in. i like em alot.

Things I want to do...
-Need new speakers. advice welcomed. i dont need expensive ones. easy to install, and last a while. I have looked around on speaker threads but need recomendations to be reassured.
-my cd player works some of the time. i dont like all the new recievers, they are too small, and look too flashy for my liking. so id rather have another stock reciever if anybody knows where i can find one.

if i can, sometime later, id like to put a small lift on, and attach bigger tires. but i dont forsee that happening anytime soon, and isnt something i really need anyways. I like things to look stock. the "aftermarket look" just isnt appealing to me, so big rims, a thumpin system, and a lowered suspension are out of the question. Id love to put a brush guard on the front, i think those are cool...but once again, i dont need one. maybe later though. Homework and sports dont leave me alot of time to play around with it, but i like to hit the trails in the summertime, and the back country in the winter, just to see what the thing can do. awsome times.

t party said:
Thanks for all the comments. My parents raised me to be the person i am today. hats off to them. :cheers:

Not many young people appreciate what good parents do for them. Good to hear you do.

Things I want to do...
-Need new speakers. advice welcomed. i dont need expensive ones. easy to install, and last a while. I have looked around on speaker threads but need recomendations to be reassured.

Try this:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=74011

-my cd player works some of the time. i dont like all the new recievers, they are too small, and look too flashy for my liking. so id rather have another stock reciever if anybody knows where i can find one.

Keep checking e-bay. You will get hosed from the dealer.

if i can, sometime later, id like to put a small lift on, and attach bigger tires. but i dont forsee that happening anytime soon, and isnt something i really need anyways. I like things to look stock. the "aftermarket look" just isnt appealing to me, so big rims, a thumpin system, and a lowered suspension are out of the question. Id love to put a brush guard on the front, i think those are cool...but once again, i dont need one. maybe later though. Homework and sports dont leave me alot of time to play around with it, but i like to hit the trails in the summertime, and the back country in the winter, just to see what the thing can do. awsome times.

The 80 will wheel fine stock, I am sure you will be fine without the fluff for now. You can add things as your needs become apparent.

Good luck.

t party said:
I'll be sleeping in the back of my pig buggy.

I think we're gonna like you. :D

For the most part, the group of fine young men that frequent the 80 section are a refreshing change from some of the obstinate brats we run into in RL. We've seen several go from just getting their license at 16 and now they've graduated from HS and moved on to college.

Even Stuckey has turned it around in the past few months. I never thought I'd see that.

:cheers: to all the young Cruiser dudes.

-B-

fzj80kidpen said:
Refreshing positive outlook of youth.
At first I saw that long post and skipped down.
Saw some positive comments went back a read.
Glad I did, your story rocks.
Sleeping the back of the pigbuggy. You have to make that your login.
Do a search on speakers. Most seems to go with eclipse tho they are getting hard to find. I also have a 96 but mine has 170K on her. Runs better now then when I got it at 131K.

yes good post

:flipoff2:

Nice story. If you post some pics I can probably convince the moderators not to move it. One of them is a hell of a guy, the other one, lets just say he lives on the East coast.

You should frequent the board more. Your starter problem was probably just the contacts. Since you replaced it your self, two more screwss and another 10 minutes would have replaced the contacts and been a hell of a lot cheaper.

Ummm, 17 years old? This guy has a better head on his shoulders than most adults I know ;p

Gypsysteel
1978 FJ-40
1997 FzJ-80

Beowulf said:
:cheers: to all the young Cruiser dudes.
-B-

reg.gif
:flipoff2:

Seriously, welcome back.

sorry for being a smart a#* , wont happen again.Good on ya young fella

You must change your login to "pigbuggy". You have no choise or the moderators will move this :) :) Does your pigbuggy have lockers?
Cheers,
Sean

pics

here are a few pics of the buggy.its not locked, but so far, i havent been in anything so bad that i really need it...that could change though. :D

Last edited:
more pics.

Last edited:
pigbuggy said:
oh, i almost forgot. it has a turbocharger in it.

Pigbuggy,

Unless you were just kidding about the turbo, this is what we want in the pictures!

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom