Another quick 80 Series speaker write up. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
Toyota speakers BAD, new speakers GOOD.

So, I decided to replace all of them but only completed the fronts last night.

Used these:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pione...oductDetail.do

I paid $50 for 2 pairs the day after Thanksgiving.

Drilled three new small holes to use the screws that came with speakers. (Stock holes were a little large and it was easier just to drill through door metal)

Soldered the existing Toyota wire harness to the wires that came with the speakers. ( Toyota blue is + / Toyota gray is - )

Speakers are a tiny bit too deep so, dug into the handy plumping box, pulled out 12 '0' sized, hard rubber faucet washers.

2 washers per screw hole, about 3/8" total each.

Put the washers between the speaker and the door, screwed em' down tight and it is a done deal.

Panels back on and they fit with stock covers like a glove preserving that timeless Toyota look.

The head unit is a Pioneer with Mosfet 50 watt per channel and it makes them sound great. Cannot wait until the back doors are done tonight...:D

Now, let me say that I am no "audiophile" and I am sure that more expensive separates sound a lot better, but for $25 front and $25 back, these cannot be beat and they handle good amounts of power. So, for those looking for a cheap, good upgrade that won't take much effort...you get the idea.

Hope this information helps someone...:beer:

Pictures of the results?

Driver Side Pics.

Here are the pics of the DS.
speaker ds front1.jpg
speaker ds front2.jpg
speaker ds front3.jpg

Looks really good. One of my fronts is going out so this is good information for me.

LXCRSR said:
Looks really good. One of my fronts is going out so this is good information for me.

Little piece of advise...while you have the door panels off, tighten all of the little srews on the back that hold the trim pieces on. Not too tight but snug them up because most of mine were loose and that could account for some random rattles. Maybe :rolleyes:
Only takes an extra two or three minutes.

Whitey -
Looks good and I like the price. The website link lists them for $39.99/pair -- did I understand your post correctly that you paid $25/pair? Was it an in-store special?

Thanks!

MoJ said:
Whitey -
Looks good and I like the price. The website link lists them for $39.99/pair -- did I understand your post correctly that you paid $25/pair? Was it an in-store special?

Thanks!

Yea, it must have been in store. Sorry.
I bought them in the Santa Cruz store the day after Thanksgiving and there was a sign on the top of the boxes. $25 per pair.
I took two boxes for good measure not knowing if they would fit but hey, for the money, they could have gone in the 40 series down the road. I can make just about anything fit in there...:D

However, $40 per pair is not bad either. If you could get away with $80 for front and back, I would say it is a winner since they do sound very good. They are not Focals but they do the job quite well.

Door Panels

Whitey, since it is fresh in your head, could you explain the steps for removing the door panels? I have never removed any of the panels in this vehicle, but have installed a few stereos in my life and know that if you pull in the wrong place = broken plastic. I have read a couple of threads about it and plan to change the speakers as well. I have a 1994 LC.

Thanks,

Riley

Driley said:
Whitey, since it is fresh in your head, could you explain the steps for removing the door panels? I have never removed any of the panels in this vehicle, but have installed a few stereos in my life and know that if you pull in the wrong place = broken plastic. I have read a couple of threads about it and plan to change the speakers as well. I have a 1994 LC.

Thanks,

Riley

Sure,

You need to pop the leather / plascic covered little armrest off, my fingers worked just fine for that.

There are 2 screws under that, large phillips head. Those come out (put them in a safe place :D ).
There is another big phillips unter the top part of the hand grab bar, that comes out.

Very important, there is a tiny screw in the door latch handle cup, very small and easy to lose, take this out and pop the cup out or when you try to pull the panel off, it will crack the cup. You have to have the latch handle out when you pop the cup.

Now you are ready to start popping the panel off, one clip at a time. You will have less chance of tearing the paricle board if you use both hands for each clip and pull slowly...that being said, it is almost guaranteed that you will tear the particle board on one or two spots. Probably on the forward yellow clips since they seem to be the biggest bitches. If this happens, use a claw hammer or something similar to SLOWLY pop the clips out which remain in the door.

Once all of the clips are popped, just lift the panel off of the lip at the bottom of the window pane. Carefully as the front corner is in a little tight.

The cover is attached to the panel so it comes off with the whole thing.

The speaker is attached with four phillips / hex sheet metal screws.

Take those out, then pry the speaker off with a flat head screwdriver as it is glued on with some light glue or something.

Unclip the harness and you are good to start insalling the new ones.

I left the window control harness attached and just set the panel to the side.

Repair torn particle board with heavy duty tape, I use the cloth stuff that you wrap roll bars with and movie gaffers use. Sticks very well. Not good as new, but better than broke....;)

Hope this helps....:beer:

Thanks for the write up!!!

Thanks again! Great instructions!

Nice

Good to hear you've gotten such good results from inexpensive speakers.

clean

let us know if they fit the rear as well as they did for the front? thanks :)

BRKLYN1 said:
let us know if they fit the rear as well as they did for the front? thanks :)

Funny you should mention that...

NO GO on the 6.25 in the rear doors. :mad:

It could be done with the right spacers but the last thing I wanted was a big old lopin' set of speakers hanging out of the doors.

Want to keep the stock-as-possible look inside.

I bolted down to circut city and they had some 4" versions of the same Pioneers on sale. Funny though...they are twice as much as the larger speakers, even on sale...so $47 later, I was back in business....or so I thought....

The design of the 80 series rear door speaker set up does not lend itself to easy insall of aftermarket speakers...

I accomplished the install and it turned out pretty damn good. I recorded how I did it with pictures, however, I do not have my firewire with me so I cannot download until tomorrow.

I will finish the writeup when I can get the pictures, much easier to explain that way.

In the meantime...anyone want my extra set of 6.25 for the front?

I paid $25 before tax, they are new in box (just taken out long enough to hold up to rear door).

If someone wants to drop me a check for $30 total to cover speakers and shipping, I will send them to you.

Otherwise, it is back to CC.

Oh, and I also installed this...
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Infinity-Subwoofer-BASSLINK-/sem/rpsm/oid/44708/catOid/-13641/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Sounds great, but I still have to figure out the best way to mount it to the floor. Fits nicely right in front of factory sub.

So far I am at:

$200 for stereo
$300 for sub (with built in amp)
$80 for front and rear speakers
$50 misc...(wires, RCA, etc.)

Total...$630 and she sounds pretty durned good!

:beer:

Great writeup for a non-audiophile such as myself!

Now that you have new speakers in the front doors, would it matter if you disconnect the tweeters under the dash? Have you tried this to see if the sound is any better/worse? I would really love to use these speakers for the CB! BTW, you'll love the Basslink. It's a great bang for the buck.

thanks.

Ali

The basslink setup is awesome in the cruiser. I just replaced my front speakers, added the basslink sub and the truck sounds great~. I have yet to install the rears so looking forward to your writup on those!

Whitey said:
Funny you should mention that...

NO GO on the 6.25 in the rear doors. :mad:

It could be done with the right spacers but the last thing I wanted was a big old lopin' set of speakers hanging out of the doors.

Want to keep the stock-as-possible look inside.

I bolted down to circut city and they had some 4" versions of the same Pioneers on sale. Funny though...they are twice as much as the larger speakers, even on sale...so $47 later, I was back in business....or so I thought....

The design of the 80 series rear door speaker set up does not lend itself to easy insall of aftermarket speakers...

I accomplished the install and it turned out pretty damn good. I recorded how I did it with pictures, however, I do not have my firewire with me so I cannot download until tomorrow.

I will finish the writeup when I can get the pictures, much easier to explain that way.

In the meantime...anyone want my extra set of 6.25 for the front?

I paid $25 before tax, they are new in box (just taken out long enough to hold up to rear door).

If someone wants to drop me a check for $30 total to cover speakers and shipping, I will send them to you.

Otherwise, it is back to CC.

Oh, and I also installed this...
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Infinity-Subwoofer-BASSLINK-/sem/rpsm/oid/44708/catOid/-13641/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Sounds great, but I still have to figure out the best way to mount it to the floor. Fits nicely right in front of factory sub.

So far I am at:

$200 for stereo
$300 for sub (with built in amp)
$80 for front and rear speakers
$50 misc...(wires, RCA, etc.)

Total...$630 and she sounds pretty durned good!

:beer:
I have that same sub! It's very nice. Matter of fact i'm selling it for $200 with everything. I only used it for a few months in my 02 tacoma. Would like to sell it and save for a new ARB for the LX450. sorry for the hi jack of post.

Rear Door Speaker Install

Razorshock said:
looking forward to your writup on those!

Here we goooooo....

Hope this is not too boring for you you guys, just trying to be thorough. :D

Okay, first is a pic of the actual box for the speakers I am dealing with and what they look like compared to the OEM speakers.

If you will note, the new Pioneer speaker is taller and has a bigger magnet than does the OEM, this will come into play with the little plastic OEM speaker mounting basket next.
reardoor3.jpg
reardoor1.jpg
reardoor2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom