Get more from your factory roof rack with t-slotted aluminum (8020) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice work and great idea. Don't be surprised if the Front Runner bolt does not fit into the 8020 T-slot. Prinsu shipped very similar tie downs with their rack, but used a carriage bolt instead. Probably an easy swap if needed.

View attachment 1931398

Just came back to confirm what you knew already! The hex-cap bolts on the FR hardware is too thick for that slot. I'm going to try to round up some M8 carriage bolts this weekend.

I’m all in now. I removed the front OEM crossbar and ordered two more slats.

There is no added noise from losing the front OEM bar until ~75mph. I can live with that.

If you decide to get rid of your OEM cross bars, please shoot me a PM!

I have a set of black tie down rings from Front Runner on the way:

These are different than standard eye bolts because the bolt is on the bottom. This allows them to be slid in and tightened up by hand.

1/4" carriage bolts work, that's what I use on the Prinsu on our 4Runner. I am curious about trying this on the 2016+ LX with its fixed aluminum side rails although it might require a small riser in order for the cross bars to clear the roof itself and in order to make the mounts accessible since they bolt in from the inside of the side rails.

Anybody that's looking into this, you can source the extrusion with counterbores etc from www.tnutz.com for ~30% less than the OP's price. I'm thinking of ordering 4 crossbars for mine soon. I'd been thinking of building a whole rack from 8020, but I like the way the OP did this.

Does anyone have an order with the exact measurements and attachment parts that they would be willing to share? Looks like a great option.

I measured my 2008 at 43 7/16. Just ordered from T-Nutz, two cross bars with counterbores on one end and 8 corner brackets with T Nuts, $70.17 shipped to my house

I really like this idea. Enough so that I'm wasting my time thinking about it even though I already have 3 stock rails on mine and don't really need anything more.

Here's some strategies if someone is interested in making for aerodynamic cross bars with the 80/20. Sister two quarter rounds to make each rail. Could use either of the following configurations.

I measured my 2008 at 43 7/16. Just ordered from T-Nutz, two cross bars with counterbores on one end and 8 corner brackets with T Nuts, $70.17 shipped to my house
Which series of extrusion did you order?

Do you need to remove the oem side rails to mount or do you just finesse them in?

Thanks for the sizing and info.

I assume the M8 wont fit in the 1020 slot right? Maybe the 1530 or 4590 profile would be better? How rigid is that 1020 on that span? I have a Slimline II but would rather just do this for as much as I use it. Going to put my tent up there. So the same 1/4" hardware you used for the 80/20 you use to secure it to the factory rails? Thanks, Mike

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom