Get more from your factory roof rack with t-slotted aluminum (8020) (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wonder if the accessories of the rhino rack would fit!

The answer is sorta. The channels on the rhinorack and front runner extrusions are a square u-shape meaning most normal squared off bolt heads will fit. The channels on 8020 are more v-shaped so a standard squared off bolt head won’t slide in.

As others pointed out above, you can find a carriage bolt that will slide in. 8020 also makes some v-shaped studs that slide in. That’s the route I went.

Awesome! Low profile and greatly functional. Too many aftermarket racks are absurdly high for no good reason. This one looks nicely integrated. I would bet stronger than majority of aftermarket units as well.

All in with 4 bars!

a63TNIV.jpg
Will the clamps on the Thule rocket box work without touching the roof?
Clean mod.

Not sure. Mine is old and still has u-bolts.
I have a later model. It has a clamp system.
Any way the brackets could hold the bars higher from the roof? Clear the shark fin? I believe if the bars where a .5-.75 higher it would be perfect for me.
Thanks for the brilliant idea.

Ive got a set of stock bars if anyone wants them. Denver area. Installed a prinsu and am throwing away the whole rack. PM me.

Something I started on my 100 last fall. Can report zero wind noise issues. I haven’t tried to put my Thule box on yet but imagine the “grabbers” won’t clear the bottom of the 80/20 and the roof.
506907E6-77EC-4C74-BEB5-E8E1425E7027.jpeg

Something I started on my 100 last fall. Can report zero wind noise issues. I haven’t tried to put my Thule box on yet but imagine the “grabbers” won’t clear the bottom of the 80/20 and the roof. View attachment 1961050

I thought about those brackets too - mainly just to have a natural spacer between rails.

Something I started on my 100 last fall. Can report zero wind noise issues. I haven’t tried to put my Thule box on yet but imagine the “grabbers” won’t clear the bottom of the 80/20 and the roof. View attachment 1961050
@WoodyCreature , where did you get the brackets you used to attach the 80/20 to your factory side rails. I can think of a few ways to utilize those on my Prinsu rack.....thinking maybe awning mounts, etc.

@WoodyCreature , where did you get the brackets you used to attach the 80/20 to your factory side rails. I can think of a few ways to utilize those on my Prinsu rack.....thinking maybe awning mounts, etc.

Several size available - make sure you get the right one.

Actually - these are same length, same thread pitch as the bolts that came with the Front Runner hardware: 13170
Just checking to see if this is the specific hammer bolt that you used. Based on the product specs, it appears to be too large for the 1020 slot, but I may not be looking at it correctly. Thank you for getting this started initially!

Just checking to see if this is the specific hammer bolt that you used. Based on the product specs, it appears to be too large for the 1020 slot, but I may not be looking at it correctly. Thank you for getting this started initially!

They ended up being too large. If you have a grinder you can make them work. I instead got some 1/4" carriage bolts.

@tbisaacs u you should definitely buy a grinder. Those cutting wheels are useful for bunches of stuff

@tbisaacs u you should definitely buy a grinder. Those cutting wheels are useful for bunches of stuff

Ya might pick up a cheapie harbor freight bench grinder this weekend...

Front Runner accessories fit the 15 series 8020. Here is the proof.
33C8D6B5-0389-4C38-A198-3811FFF7EDB6.jpeg

IIRC, the rails are closer together in the front than in the back. Did you have to order different lengths for each crossbar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom