general tech, split case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
since I hang out here I'll post in this thread.

I had issues with THE seal for t-case (tranny) input eating outer seal surface on install. two seals were chewed up after trying to massage in the seal. I cleaned up the surface between 1st and 2nd attempt with 600 grit and oiled both times.

anyway, I took a friends advice and put a seal in the freezer overnight. Installed it without problems this morning (#3's a charm).

cool to shrink the seal if anyone repeats this stunt.

rick_d said:
I had issues with THE seal for t-case (tranny) input eating outer seal surface on install. two seals were chewed up after trying to massage in the seal. I cleaned up the surface between 1st and 2nd attempt with 600 grit and oiled both times.

I'm surprised to hear about this problem. Maybe I just don't notice mine are getting chewed up after the install :whoops: . Do you use OEM Toyota seals? I've used aftermarket (Don Kyatt's Terrain Tamer)

Dave

#1 was aftermarket kit supplied

#2 & 3 were toyota (and I have 5 extra's now so this never hold me up again).

I am off to under the truck to finish the Marks gears install (12:15 pm sunday mst)

rick_d said:
anyway, I took a friends advice and put a seal in the freezer overnight. Installed it without problems this morning (#3's a charm).

Further evidence of my old saying... "if you want something done right, do it three times". There are very few projects I've undertaken that are done to my satisfaction (i.e. it works and doesn't break) the first time. Something to keep in mind when paying 'professional' rates... make sure that 'pro' has done the exact same job at least thrice before. Otherwise they're probably still learning on your dime!

Peter (Had to re-do TippyR's front suspension 12 times) Straub

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom