G'Day from Australia! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I'm Luke, recently moved to Australia, and I drive a 1986 HJ61 with the round headlights, 5 speed manual and the very, very brown interior. And exterior in my case.

No mods as yet, she hasn't been used for a while despite the 304000km on the clock, so I've been fixing up little things, (tailgate struts, missing screws, greasing and tightening everything, pulling out about 5km of shoddy half assed wiring...the usual). I'll go through slowly and rebuild everything front to back over the next year, but she's my daily so slowly is the key word. I already refreshed the whole fuel system to fix a hard starting issue, so only 400 more jobs to go :)

Plans are an ARB/style bull bar to replace the current one, it hangs way too low for my liking even if it is pretty much kangaroo proof, safari snorkel for the dust and a lift at some point too.

Once I take it off road properly Ill see how the rear airbag system effects rear flex/travel, and decide to remove it or not then.

The exhaust has a hole, so it's going to get a 3inch turbo back in the new year, and therfore boost/pyro gauges to keep an eye on it. Trying to find a mounting position that let's me keep the inclenometer/clock. We shall see.

Post up some pictures when you can. Sounds like a good project.

3" is a bit excessive mate but each to their own so long as you can manage back pressure and boost...and noise.

You're at the good end of town for wheeling, plenty of tracks up your end!

How long have you been in straya?

Hello and welcome! Can't wait to see pics of your HJ!

What comes to exhaust, go with 3", IMO. I have that too, sound is so damn nice, puts smile on your face every time you fire it up.
Check out my thread (link below) and my latest post, there is some kind of example for you.

:cheers:

I've been here just on a year now, had the landcruiser a few months and loving it so far (Straya and the 60) :)

I did worry about the noise, but bumped into a guy with a 3inch mandrel bent system and it sounded awesome, no drone and not too loud. Think he had a resonator and muffler in it. I'll have a look at yours too, cheers mate!

Here's some pictures of the beastie
received_10153158942372554.jpeg
received_10153158942602554.jpeg
received_10153158942537554.jpeg
received_10153158942507554.jpeg
received_10153158942417554.jpeg

Also can anyone tell me where this ground is supposed to go? It's been hanging since I bought the truck and I haven't got round to asking anyone. Isn't anywhere too obvious as I can't see where it could go?

I'm talking about the black wire coming off that bolt, the other end has pulled out of something. Photo is under the dash next to the bonnet/hood release, I'm assuming it isn't mission critical as she runs and everything important works.

Anyway an virtual pint to anyone who can enlighten me, cheers guys!
received_10153158942442554.jpeg

She's not a stock wire mate, probably a switch for headlights or CB or something.

Welcome LukeHJ61, plenty of great info on this site, and you are not to far from me either, just parted the exact same vehicle model over the last six months. send me a PM if you require anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom