Gauging Interest - 2008 Toyota Tundra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm kind of at a crossroads here, as I love my truck and really don't want to sell it. I bought it at 18 as a way to build my credit and it's been the perfect truck (aside from being 2WD). But having gotten my 80 series last year, it has taken over everything I have used the truck for (camping, road trips, etc.) with the exception of daily driving and towing my boat. In fact, I think I've put less than 5,000 miles on it since I got the 80 in April 2019. I am a full time college student with a part time job, so money is not abundant and having two vehicles that average 10 & 13mpg (all of my Tundra driving is in the city, gets 17-20 highway) is not proving to be very economical. Selling my Tundra would allow me to get my rear bumper and new tires that aren't 6 years old on the 80, get a cheap commuter to get me by until graduation in a year, and allow me to pay current bills and expenses off, giving me some more financial breathing room.

In my 6 years of ownership, I have only put in 55-60k miles (at 151,000k now) and have only ever used full synthetic oil for changes (done by Toyota), have had the transmission fluid flushed (again by Toyota), changed differential fluids, replaced shocks, brand new Toyota brand warrantied battery, and maybe a few other little maintenance things I can't remember. It has the 5.7L V8 with the only aftermarket equipment being an AFE Magnum Stage 2 CAI, Magnaflow Muffler, and front end leveling kit. It currently sits on 18" XD Grenade wheels with 285/70/r18 Toyo AT2 XTs.

It's a Double Cab SR5 TRD Off Road with JBL Premium Sound, tan cloth interior, tow mirrors, front & rear parking sensors, 6.5' bed with Toyota liner. But is otherwise a fairly no frills package. Has never had any mechanical or electrical failure and has always taken great care of me.

The only real negatives to the truck is the sun damage to the hood and roof (all of the clear coat on the roof is gone and the hood is peeling pretty badly), with some other little dings here and there.

Not really sure what the point of this post is, maybe just writing it out to convince myself to do the smart thing and sell it, see if any MUD members were in the market for such a thing before running away to Craigslist, or to maybe just get some "what would you do?" opinions.
If anyone would like extra pictures, feel free to ask and I shall provide.

A0CA26E8-45E9-499E-947D-2AEBB5F47891.jpeg

07428430-D4E9-4CD3-8CBE-B7706F75537B.jpeg

3D7B0C27-EB40-437E-A24E-1F4646C5D207.jpeg

Wow tough college life, Tundra, 80, boat, house! Just kidding man, your vehicles are probably paid for and in a better spot than me. Definitely sell if finances are in question. Pay off all debt first and then see what's left over for goodies. Not saying that wasn't your plan. You're young and always have time to get another Tundra.
Hope that helps and jokes are taken as such. You're thoughts are in the right direction IMO. Best.

Wow tough college life, Tundra, 80, boat, house! Just kidding man, your vehicles are probably paid for and in a better spot than me. Definitely sell if finances are in question. Pay off all debt first and then see what's left over for goodies. Not saying that wasn't your plan. You're young and always have time to get another Tundra.
Hope that helps and jokes are taken as such. You're thoughts are in the right direction IMO. Best.

Should clarify! I am fortunate enough to live at home with the parents while in school. So I have rent covered, but school and everything else is on me. But university classes aren't cheap, my 10 week online summer class is costing me $2,500. As for the boat, it's the family boat that has more or less been passed down to me as I'm the only one who really uses it anymore. And both of my vehicles are paid off, so I'm definitely not in too bad of shape. But with the Cruiser hobby becoming what it has, the Tundra just doesn't get used for what it should anymore. And getting a few things for the cruiser, paying down credit card & student debt would be a huge weight off my shoulders and give me more room to breathe.

Jokes are absolutely taken as such, thanks for the insight, much appreciated!

Glad you caught it! You're in a great situation so make the most of it. My boys will be welcome to stay home for as long as needed to get a good foundation on life. Awesome parents. With one at 18 won't be long for that potential. Tundra is a nice one.

Glad you caught it! You're in a great situation so make the most of it. My boys will be welcome to stay home for as long as needed to get a good foundation on life. Awesome parents. With one at 18 won't be long for that potential. Tundra is a nice one.

Your kids will definitely appreciate you, I've been very luck to have parents that want me to enjoy my youth as much as I can. Both of them were providing for their families by the age of 16 and wanted better for my sister and I, it's been a blessing. Thank you for the kind words!

I would sell both and get a 100 or 200 series.

As much as I would love to have a 100 or 200 series, I am in love with my 80. I've only had it for a year and I've come so far with it, I couldn't imagine parting ways with it now. As for my next cruiser, I will likely try for a 60 until I get to a point where I can afford a 2014+ 200 Series AND be able to afford the accessories and modifications I would like to do to it. I really do use my 80 and have done some trails I'm not confident a 200 series would accomplish.

What are you looking to get out of the tundra?

I was thinking about starting around $12,000 and see what happens. It's got about 20,000 miles less than most Tundra's within the $10,000-$14,000 range that I can find.

Honestly, if you have two vehicles worth around $20K+ live at home for free and still have other debts, you know the right thing to do. It’s a good lesson to learn early in life, depreciating vehicles are not assets.

Whatever you do, don't listen to Sean. That's my motto in life. I personally love my 80. My 100 I love mostly, sometimes *every other week* I contemplate selling it...

The best thing to do here is to determine what your long term goals are (house?) and spreadsheet it all out. You'll be surprised at costs when you get everything on paper, excel is your friend and it helps you weight what you *want* with what makes the most financial sense. Very rarely does it actually make financial sense to have a commuter vehicle...the cost of the commuter itself, insurance, and maintenance almost never is cheaper than just driving your 80... this is why I commuted for years with my 100... unless gas is like $6 , your commute is like 100 miles, and you convince yourself that mileage depreciation on your 80 is outrageous... just drive the 80. Enjoy the 80. And save as much as you can while still having fun.

Being debt free and having cash to invest is really a good place to be. If you can build a nice cushion to launch from after school, it'll mean more to you in 5-10 years than a set of bumpers.

Whatever you do, don't listen to Sean. That's my motto in life. I personally love my 80. My 100 I love mostly, sometimes *every other week* I contemplate selling it...

The best thing to do here is to determine what your long term goals are (house?) and spreadsheet it all out. You'll be surprised at costs when you get everything on paper, excel is your friend and it helps you weight what you *want* with what makes the most financial sense. Very rarely does it actually make financial sense to have a commuter vehicle...the cost of the commuter itself, insurance, and maintenance almost never is cheaper than just driving your 80... this is why I commuted for years with my 100... unless gas is like $6 , your commute is like 100 miles, and you convince yourself that mileage depreciation on your 80 is outrageous... just drive the 80. Enjoy the 80. And save as much as you can while still having fun.

Being debt free and having cash to invest is really a good place to be. If you can build a nice cushion to launch from after school, it'll mean more to you in 5-10 years than a set of bumpers.

Is this a motto I should look to adopt? To never listen to Sean? ;)

Right now, my only real goals are to finish up my last year of my Bachelor's program, graduate, pay off cards & student loans, and then probably find my own place to live. So likely 18-24 months. I really should put everything down on paper. My commutes to work & school are no more than 15 miles each way, so the 80 could more than handle it. It's just that with all the projects I do on the 80, there are periods of time where I can't use it and if it ever acts up and I'm late or miss a day of school I could be in trouble (nursing professors are notoriously unforgiving) and the reliability and trust I have with the Tundra pays huge for simple peace of mind. Even though I know I could use the money from selling it and saving an extra $115 a month on insurance.

Being debt free and having that cushion is definitely where I want to be though. Thank you for the knowledge & advice!

You pay 115.00 a month on an old ass Tundra?? Dang! I could really use this if it were 4wd.

I do, but I have full coverage for medical & damages to a fairly exorbitant amount. Plus, at only 23 the insurance companies wont give me too much relief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom