Gauges fuse blows when shift to reverse (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,

I’ve been trying to fix what seems to be an electrical issue with my 2001 Lexus lx470. Every thing works great when i turn on the vehicle, The 15 gauges fuse blows and therefore my alternator won’t charge. I’ve replaced the battery, alternator, and VSS. The only error code I got initially was for the vehicle speed sensor.

I put in a new alternator, it worked great for a few days, then the gages blew again.

Has anyone dealt with this?

I’ve checked what ground connections I can see….cleaned them. The wire connected that goes to the alternator felt a bit loose then I plugged it back in. I put it in the put dielectric grease around it.

Last edited:
I believe it has been isolated to blowing immediately when I shift from park to reverse. I tried starting the vehicle in neutral then shifting to drive, no problem there. But when I go to reverse it blows. I may try to disconnect the third brake light up , see if that changed anything

What fuse it blowing? Every time you replace it or just randomly?
The 15 fuse labeled gauges near the foot panel and sometimes an ECU one as well. I’ll have to double check, but it’s also a 15.

What fuse it blowing? Every time you replace it or just randomly?
I’ll replaced it and it works fine until I shift to reverse.

dont know the answer, but the early 100's have known fuse box issues. post up that the shop finds in case anyone else has this issue.

I just solved this same problem! The culprit was the wiring between the lower tailgate and body. These wires flex when opening/closing the gate and work-harden, eventually cracking, causing a short when your reverse lights go on. 4 of the 7 wires on my truck were broken but I just went ahead and replaced all of them:
IMG_20240223_145419.jpg

I just solved this same problem! The culprit was the wiring between the lower tailgate and body. These wires flex when opening/closing the gate and work-harden, eventually cracking, causing a short when your reverse lights go on. 4 of the 7 wires on my truck were broken but I just went ahead and replaced all of them:View attachment 3565152
Thank you!!! I will be checking these wires soon. I will post back on if it fixed the issue .

Great news, I inspected those wires going to the tailgate today. Sure enough, they were all busted. I cut them back a bit and reconnected them with heat sealed connectors. It fixed the issue!!

IMG_8275.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom