Gasket job on oilpan no. 1&2 =$485.00 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to know if im paying the shop the right money. Added to the job is to drill out one of the stud on lower oil pan that broke due to rust. Hell be using the Toyota Gasket/ paste . I wonder if it's gonna be a good thing to put oil when it's done , I've read some that you have to wait 24hrs for the gasket to set but he said I can pick up the truck same day . Total hours of work 4-5 hours. Thanks

Sounds high to me. Where are you located? You might check with your local forum for mechanics/members that would do it for much less.

SUMMIT CRUISERS said:
Sounds high to me. Where are you located? You might check with your local forum for mechanics/members that would do it for much less.

I'm in Delaware, I was referred to this shop by a senior citizen and I have them replaced my lower control arm on my wifes sienna for $175.00 labor I did provided them the control arm from rock auto . I also noticed their customers are a lot of the seniors or old timers in my place .
Just couldn't find time to do the work myself.

Thanks

If it's 4 to 5 hours of work the price seems legit to me. I am curious what flat rate is for that job, I have to do it one of these days and it seems like a pain.

Sounds expensive, but you pay for convenience. Toyota FPG only needs an hour to set, IIRC,I did my tranny pan a few months back.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

The mechanic said hell probably gonna take more than 1 hour on the broken stud and btw new oil and parts are included in the quote . What I like about them is that they don't use scary tactics like what a Toyota dealer did to my wife about the lower control arm stating its not safe to drive coz it's falling apart but when I searched the web it's ok to drive it , it's the rubber bushing that's failing . Well we drove it for 1 yr and nothing happened .

Does anybody know what else needed be replaced while they're there I might be able to add it on the list and hope they wont charge me , like the dip stick o ring thing?
Thanks

devildogcruiser25 said:
Sounds expensive, but you pay for convenience. Toyota FPG only needs an hour to set, IIRC,I did my tranny pan a few months back.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Thanks , that'll put me in bad shape if I do it myself for the first time. I think I can't make it in 1 hour .

The mechanic said hell probably gonna take more than 1 hour on the broken stud and btw new oil and parts are included in the quote . What I like about them is that they don't use scary tactics like what a Toyota dealer did to my wife about the lower control arm stating its not safe to drive coz it's falling apart but when I searched the web it's ok to drive it , it's the rubber bushing that's failing . Well we drove it for 1 yr and nothing happened .

Does anybody know what else needed be replaced while they're there I might be able to add it on the list and hope they wont charge me , like the dip stick o ring thing?
Thanks

Which Toyota dealer did you go to? I have had very good dealing with Toyota World, especially their parts dept...good prices and they know LCs and they run Rausch Creek Off RoadPark in PA as well

Where is oil pan #2.

Gasket material will set in less than an hour.

Where is oil pan #2.

Gasket material will set in less than an hour.

If its tranny fluid pan, i did it 5 yrs ago n yup like above states the TOY FIPG will set in less than an hour.
Rear Main Seal 01.jpg
Rear Main Seal 02.jpg
Rear Main Seal 03.jpg

Otamiway said:
Which Toyota dealer did you go to? I have had very good dealing with Toyota World, especially their parts dept...good prices and they know LCs and they run Rausch Creek Off RoadPark in PA as well
they're the one , not the automotive outfitters . The bays for the regular toyotas are different from the bays on the automotive outfitters - this are the group that puts lift and modifies them in fact I know all of them and they are a good bunch of people .

IIRC the package insert says wait 1-2 hours before starting the engine and that the FIPG becomes rubbery in 15-16 hours. FWIW when I had my main pan replaced the Toyota Master mechanic told me he waits overnight for FIPG to cure before dumping in the engine oil and starting the engine.

they're the one , not the automotive outfitters . The bays for the regular toyotas are different from the bays on the automotive outfitters - this are the group that puts lift and modifies them in fact I know all of them and they are a good bunch of people .

Gotcha, I mainly dealt with the outfitters and the parts department (Theresa). I had the regular shop do my wheel alignment some years back and they did a good job.

Good luck w your repair..

Stu:cheers:

Kernal said:
IIRC the package insert says wait 1-2 hours before starting the engine and that the FIPG becomes rubbery in 15-16 hours. FWIW when I had my main pan replaced the Toyota Master mechanic told me he waits overnight for FIPG to cure before dumping in the engine oil and starting the engine.

Now that makes it complicated cos the mechanic told me I can pick it up same day, they have a 90 day warranty on their work done but they won't do a warranty on the parts specially if you bought it to be installed by them.

Not complicated, let the mechanic buy the Toyota FIPG and ask him to wait overnight to let the FIPG cure if that's the way you want it, IMHO. He could schedule to complete the job near the end of the day and just leave the truck on the lift until the next morning.

Kernal said:
Not complicated, let the mechanic buy the Toyota FIPG and ask him to wait overnight to let the FIPG cure if that's the way you want it, IMHO. He could schedule to complete the job near the end of the day and just leave the truck on the lift until the next morning. You want the pan to be leak free for years, not just 90 days.

Good idea, thanks.

That doesn't seem like a bad price to me, considering. I thought I looked at this job once and the timing cover needs to come off? Anyhow, that's a lot of work, actually and with the stud remove/replace and perhaps something else if you have rust that bad.

On the overnight wait. I'm pretty sure that the walls of the engine are going to drip engine oil constantly. Which means that you will give the gasket surfaces a brake cleaner wipe, then install the pan. And minutes later inside the engine drips will continue down to the oil pan seam. So, it seems like you will have oil on the inside of that seam while it is curing and I'm not sure of the benefit of sitting overnight. I'd do it if I knew it was recommended by the FIPG manufacturer - yes. But otherwise I don't see it.

DougM

The price seems ok to me. It was a pain to get the upper pan in and out. Fipg will skin over after just a few minutes. The repair manual says to assemble parts within 3 minutes and to torque within 15 or so(don't remember exactly but close enough). Usually when I reseal oil pans or timing covers at work, I wait 10-20 minutes depending on what else I have to bolt back on after the pan is on to put oil in and start. The important thing is to not use too much. I have never had to reseal anything yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom