Garmin vs. BackCountry Navigator App (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I lost my Garmin Montana (that was a very bad day) and decided to try phone/tablet based GPS app to see if it could replace my dedicated GPS unit.

I don’t do apple and therefore looked at android aps to use on my phone (Galaxy) or tablet (LG Pad 7.0). I have read lots threads regarding this topic but none really specifically compared dedicated GPS capability to that of a phone app. I ended up buying the Backcountry Navigator (BCN) app after reading several positive reviews and have been using it for several months on-road, off-road, on the computer, etc. Here is my opinion/thoughts/etc. specific to BCN.

Pros:
1. Low cost, $10. Some maps cost extra and/or require monthly/annual fee. These can add up quickly depending on what you purchase.
2. Bigger, higher res screen (based on phone/tablet) when compared to that of GPS unit.

Cons:
1. It will not route. I find this hard to believe, but yes, BCN cannot route to a POI, waypoint, etc. It will provide direct line of sight only without routing. This alone makes is basically useless.
2. The maps suck. They are raster images (bitmap) so they are huge unmanageable files. My Garmin topo West and SouthWest in 24K, CONUS topo in 100k and North Am. Navigator with POIs fit on a 16GB SD card, easily. I don’t think I could fit So Calif on a 16GB card in a bitmap with BCN. Garmin can route on all maps I own.
3. The maps suck. They are basically a scanned image that is being viewed on the display. It is not a vector based “active” map, meaning that when you zoom in/out, the text and other features do not scale with the zoom. So if you zoom out you cannot read anything. It is like holding a paper map too far away to read.
4. Did I say that the maps suck. Because they behave just like a scanned image, guess what happens when you are driving south with track up? Correct, all the text and features are upside down. I guess you could keep north up but again, the maps suck.
5. More on maps, it is not possible to download, purchase, etc. large regions like CONUS in topo, or western US, etc. The download process requires you to “select areas for download” on the screen. But after selecting an area and downloading, you get an error that the map size is too big. Apparently the limit is 4GB which is very small for a bitmap image. So, only small areas can be downloaded.
6. The color of the maps is odd and blends with text, features, roads, etc. They are generally difficult to read because a standardized color system is not used.
7. The Track log will not run continuously. It randomly stops so when you get home and want to use your track to create a route for your next trip, data is missing making it useless.
8. There is no night mode on the display.
9. There are many bugs in the app. Menus that will not scroll up/down, items that when selected do nothing, menus that do not operate properly when the screen is rotated, etc.
10. There are many basic GPS unit features that are just not included. I always used Trackback on my Garmin. This is not available on BCN. There is also no computer software other than the app. So creating routes requires other mapping programs and saving files in the correct format which is somewhat cumbersome. BCN buries its files deep the directory tree and many are not logically named. They discourage against moving all their files to your SD card which would be much easier and also allow you to move data between tablet/phone/pc/etc.

I had lengthily emails with BCN with questions, comments, issues, etc. and they blame much of the problems on android and the devices running android. Hummm!

IMHO, a $10 app cannot substitute for a dedicated GPS. It’s not even close. For highway routing, nothing beats Google Maps. Now, they just need to provide a complete GPS system of off-road and creating routes.

Guess I will be watching the webs for a new Garmin.

I use MotionX on my iPhone and really like it. It only downloads the maps you want to use. It will map out routes based on uploaded GPX files and records new tracks as well. It is constantly checking gps which drains battery like no other, but I've been using it for a few years now and love it. Unfortunately I don't believe there is and Android equivalent.

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the BCN, I'll pass. What I am really looking for is just a simple app that will give a lat/lon reading and some other basic things. I carry maps, (hiking) and would rather download USGS topo maps at my desired scale and print it out.

http://historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/

There was another thread for iOS users asking this same question. Seems like Gaia is a well used option too. Looking at the site they offer USGS & USFS maps. I get free USFS maps from my buddy that's USFS LEO and used the hell out of them. Having that digitally might be a nice thing.

2. The maps suck. They are raster images (bitmap) so they are huge unmanageable files. My Garmin topo West and SouthWest in 24K, CONUS topo in 100k and North Am. Navigator with POIs fit on a 16GB SD card, easily. I don’t think I could fit So Calif on a 16GB card in a bitmap with BCN. Garmin can route on all maps I own.
3. The maps suck. They are basically a scanned image that is being viewed on the display. It is not a vector based “active” map, meaning that when you zoom in/out, the text and other features do not scale with the zoom. So if you zoom out you cannot read anything. It is like holding a paper map too far away to read.
4. Did I say that the maps suck. Because they behave just like a scanned image, guess what happens when you are driving south with track up? Correct, all the text and features are upside down. I guess you could keep north up but again, the maps suck.
5. More on maps, it is not possible to download, purchase, etc. large regions like CONUS in topo, or western US, etc. The download process requires you to “select areas for download” on the screen. But after selecting an area and downloading, you get an error that the map size is too big. Apparently the limit is 4GB which is very small for a bitmap image. So, only small areas can be downloaded.
6. The color of the maps is odd and blends with text, features, roads, etc. They are generally difficult to read because a standardized color system is not used.

I just viewed a video via BCN that demonstrated how to download maps from a 3rd party, for free...I now have all of CA, NV, UT/CO and AZ/NV on my Samsung Tab with a 16gb memory card...with plenty of space left. I haven't used them for nav yet, but initial viewing is much nicer than anything else I was using.

I just viewed a video via BCN that demonstrated how to download maps from a 3rd party, for free...I now have all of CA, NV, UT/CO and AZ/NV on my Samsung Tab with a 16gb memory card...with plenty of space left. I haven't used them for nav yet, but initial viewing is much nicer than anything else I was using.

I'm interested to see how these maps perform.
Can you share this 'video' for downloading.

polaris navigtion is nice and honest free (usable and limited but free as in not completely shut and useless)

:bang: dutch pages:
Polaris Navigation GPS - Android-apps op Google Play

I use the altimeter to verify watch and calibrate in car altimeter gauge, 3 free waypoints but if you pay a lot more stuff.
dont know if it is comletly not what you want or slightly off.

car obd2 info via torqe and bluetooth is also nice to use if you like information overkill.
Torque Lite (OBD2 & Car) - Android-apps op Google Play

I used the new downloaded maps for our snow run today...I was pleasantly surprised with the number of small trails that were included. I've zoomed into the small trails near our home, and most are present as well.

Used the newly download map this weekend. A single file for the Calif map is nice and is easier to read because of more standardized colors.
Still, because it cannot navigate me to any destination it has limited use. Also, the track stops randomly and is not displayed on the screen??? Other issues mentioned above still exist.
But, I guess you get what you pay for and BCN is a fraction of the cost of a Garmin.

BCN is nothing more than a paper map in digital form, which then superimposes waypoints and tracks to a relative position on the map. BCN allows you to change from one map to another and because of that relative position, the waypoints and tracks still exist at their proper location.

Garmin can navigate from point-to-point because they have digitally inputted all of the streets, businesses, intersections, lanes etc. and have that digital record. It is still an imperfect system however (my Garmin's have taken me on some crazy routes in the past...)

Tracks are limited in size. I learned to start fresh with a new track every so often. Also, change the track recording frequency.

Yes, that is what I have learned. But nowhere could I find ANY information that actually stated that. I had to work through it myself to figure that out. When the question is asked: CAN A DROID APP REPLACE MY GPS UNIT most times the answer is yes and how great the apps are. This is bs.
BCN is advertised as a replacement to GPS and many forums/comments/reviews/etc. say it is equivalent or better than a true GPS unit.
Your quote below is the best description of BCN.

BCN is nothing more than a paper map in digital form, which then superimposes waypoints and tracks to a relative position on the map.

Have you tried OruxMaps yet? You can use garmin vector maps with it, or any other map source you like.

Then for offline street navigation, I've had good luck with Navmii

Here is a screenshot of orux with garmin maps.

Screenshot_2016-01-12-19-07-34_zpspj67iojw.png

I love Sygic for offline street nav...was impressive even in Baja.

Have you tried OruxMaps yet? You can use garmin vector maps with it, or any other map source you like.

Then for offline street navigation, I've had good luck with Navmii

No, but will take a look at it.
I'm getting a new Montana and was planning on using the tablet for Gmaps on highway and with BCN as a back up map.

I've phased out my old Garmin... Now I'm using g maps for dd, sygic for roadtrips, used to do took in oruxmaps but BCN is now my go-to for Scandinavian topo maps.
It does work really well on all zoom levels, I believe it's a vector, at least topo info is enhanced at every level.

Screenshot_20160517-101848.png

That map also shows private borders in red, good to know who owns what land.
Screenshot_20160517-103027.png

I'm open to alternatives, but I feel the different apps work well for what I do, and with how well multitasking is done on Android I can have several running at the same time.
I use a Dropbox folder for map, tracks and waypoints so they are all updated between the mobile, tab and computer.

Edit: and I use gps status for compass and pointing out Lat Long.
Screenshot_20160517-104124.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom