Ga. Cruisers Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a cool badge...
2013-Scion-FR-S-badge.jpg

This is a cool badge...

Yep. They all have them on the fenders. It's supposed to signify the opposing cylinders of the boxer engine and the legendary "86" or "hachi-roku" Corolla GT-S heritage. There are supposed to be some other meanings they crammed in there but I can't remember them and they are much less important and cool as those reasons. :cool:

Apparently some people in the club don't know how to hide their IP addresses.

Apparently some people in the club don't know how to hide their IP addresses.
Even if they could it would mean new user names. Woody is good about figuring out those at times. Hope to see them back in thirty days. :meh:

They have one. We will not see it. You can thank the EPA

I think you can thank the GM/Ford/Dodge lobbyists more. Toyota would kill them so I believe they are making it extremely painful to get in.

When is Toyota coming out with a diesel Tundra? DownHill Dave (yes, this is really me)

They have one. We will not see it. You can thank the EPA

I think you can thank the GM/Ford/Dodge lobbyists more. Toyota would kill them so I believe they are making it extremely painful to get in.

This has been discussed ad naseum so I will just make a brief statement:

As rockabilly stated, they did in fact make a diesel Tundra. It was a dually with an 8.1 Hino (heavy truck division of Toyota) diesel in it. It was awesome. They said they won't make it. Link here: Toyota Tundra Heavy-Duty Dualie Diesel - Concept Truck - Truck Trend or you can just search. There are TONS of articles and stuff on it.

So I have a couple of theories on why they won't. #1. The government. The lobbyists going against it, etc, etc, etc. Not to mention the VERY strict fuel economy regulations coming down the pipeline in a few years. #2. Toyota thinks their truck won't sell well against the big 3. I have to somewhat believe this. As we know the truck would be hands down a better truck than any of the big 3 but Toyota is underselling the Tundra based on their initial sales projections (gas prices coupled with the fact that you can buy a "comparable" F150 for 10 grand less than a Tundra) means people won't pony up for a better truck (in theory.) I disagree with this because people that can afford a Super Duty (~$60k) or a Duramax (~$55k) loaded with options can afford a Tundra in the same price range. #3. The concept came out in '07, the economy tanked in '08. Hmm. #4. The concept has a heavy truck engine in it and there is virtually NO way that is will conform to the new strict emissions regualtions coming down. So, they would have to design (or redesign) a completely new engine for the truck. #5. Training: Toyota has no diesels now. None of their techs know how to work on diesels. It would basically be like the hybrids when they first came out. No one could work on them.

Another thing to note is cost. It's not like Toyota doesn't have money, they have gobs of it, but there is a massive amount of money to be spent: parts, new oil types, design, manufacturing, marketing, etc, etc, etc. Will they sell enough trucks to be worth the money? The number crunchers and bean counters at Toyota apparently don't think so.

And FINALLY... if Toyota did build one, I would own one. If it was already out, I would have bought that instead of my 5.7 D-Cab Tundra (which is still a beast). If they come out with one (however unlikely) I will trade said truck in for a diesel in a heartbeat. :D

Lobbyist might have roll ,but I lean more on side of government red tape. Many European diesels do not meet EPA rules. So auto makers don't import them to the states. It driveS the price of the truck higher. The diesel onion on domestic trucks is sky high because of the red tape. I would love to see more mid size diesels on the road here not just full size.

rockabilly cruiser said:
Lobbyist might have roll ,but I lean more on side of government red tape. Many European diesels do not meet EPA rules. So auto makers don't import them to the states. It driveS the price of the truck higher. The diesel onion on domestic trucks is sky high because of the red tape. I would love to see more mid size diesels on the road here not just full size.

Agreed, its not just Toyota that doesn't have diesels here. Many European car makers have diesel options, just not the neutered versions sent to the USA

I may go drive one. I wonder if I would fit.

Going back to the diesel discussion for just a sec, from Wikipedia:

"Diesel TundraDuring September 2007 Toyota Motor Corporation announced plans to add a diesel variant of the Tundra.[51] This was again confirmed in January at the 2008 North American International Auto Show. There Toyota President Watanabe stated, "I am happy to confirm that a new clean-diesel V8 engine will be offered in both the Tundra and the Sequoia in the near future."[52] But later in 2008 at the State Fair of Texas a Toyota official stated the Tundra diesel is on hold due to poorer than expected sales.[53]

Motor Trend and Car and Driver, have earlier reported Toyota will produce a heavy-duty version of the Tundra designed to compete in the 3/4-ton class.

At the 2007 SEMA auto show, Toyota showcased its Tundra Diesel Dually Project Truck. This heavy-duty Tundra Diesel is based on a heavily modified Tundra Crew Max chassis. It features 8.0L Hino diesel engine, Eaton manual transmission, along with an extensive list of other modifications.[54] High-resolution images are available in autoblog's gallery.[55]

During late-2006 Toyota purchased a stake of Isuzu from General Motors.[56] The Duramax V8 engine design currently powers GM's 3/4 ton and 1-ton pickups, but GM's 1/2 ton diesel will be completely designed and built solely by General Motors.

The Australian and European version of the Toyota Land Cruiser features a 4.5L diesel which a future Tundra Diesel could be based on.

[edit] Hybrid TundraToyota President Katsuaki Watanabe has stated that he would like to develop a hybrid electric version of the Tundra. However, Toyota faces several technical challenges that it must overcome before it could bring such a vehicle to market.

According to the Japanese newspaper Nihon Keizai Shimbun, Toyota is considering developing a gasoline electric hybrid Tundra, for sale in North America around 2010.[57]

Toyota may also introduce a diesel electric hybrid system for the Tundra. In Japan, the Toyota Dyna and Hino Dutro light trucks produced by the Toyota Motor use diesel electric hybrid systems. The Hino Ranger a medium to heavy duty cab-over truck could also provide hybrid technology for the next generation Tundra.

At the 2008 North American International Auto Show, Toyota USA President Jim Lentz stated "different models require different types of fuel saving technology...there may be a few [models] where hybrid technology doesn’t make sense". He further went on to say that the Tundra and the new Sequoia will not be offered with a hybrid engine in the near future, instead those vehicles would feature "clean, fuel efficient diesel engines.[58] For now, it seems, the Tundra Hybrid has been sent back to the drawing board or cancelled entirely."

Not sure how old the info is but it's pretty much in line with what we have all speculated.

I just sat in the one in the picture and had plenty of room. I would actually have to move the seat up to drive it. How tall are you? 6' ?"

closer to 6'4"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom