FZJ80 Throttle Body Coolant Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I'm currently rebuilding my throttle body and found a leak on a plugged port. OEM parts are not available. Is this repairable? Everyone I call locally quickly says this needs to be replaced.

Anyone have any ideas? Weld it?

Thanks!

Josh from Orange County CA
IMG_4078.jpeg

Why don't you pull out the plug and reconnect the coolant line?

As mentioned above there's a factory plug in that hole that is now leaking.
Appears that the hole was made when the TB water bypass/heat circuit was being machined, then plugged afterwards.

@Josh714

Might consider cleaning around the plug/hole to check for cracks, but more likely the plug is not sealing. You could pull the plug and measure the ID (I get 10mm on a spare TB), find and replace with a generic aluminum plug using a thread sealer or epoxy.

Looking closely at the plug it may be solid aluminum maybe with a step?? If it is you might be able to drill/tap a hole in the center, pull it, then look for a replacement??

For others, compare this photo of an original/spare TB to the OP's photo
(I enlarged it for detail)

Op's TB with leaking plug:

FZJ80 Throttle Body leaking hole plug cropped 2.png

Spare TB showing the plug (not leaking)
(double click to magnify)

FZJ80 Throttle Body hole plug.jpg

Last edited:
Plan B would be to bypass the coolant heating. I considered that for my supercharged application to reduce heat soak in the throttle body.

@Josh714 : Good deal; so they pressed a new plug into place?

Got photos of the old plug , or the replacement before they installed it, or
the TB after installation??

Last edited:
@Josh714 : Good deal; so they pressed a new plug into place?

Got photos of the old plug , or the replacement before they installed it, or
the TB after installation??
I thought I took these pics for my own records as well, but I didn't... The shop that made the repair showed me the piece they drilled out. It was some orange material... Yeah. I see now why no one welds these ports shut. haha, close call. The shop drilled out the leaking port and pressed two plugs with two layers of cold weld. The mechanic seemed confident. I'll give er a try and maybe I'll get a little vacation in Death Valley someday. ;)

Mine just started leaking yesterday, the plug was totally rotten and came out in pieces, I decided to bypass the coolant channel through the throttle body and just extended the coolant pipes and connected the together, was looking to see if anyone knew that would be a bad idea or what exactly the coolant was there for, does it cool it in summer, or heat it in winter, ?? Anyway I don’t get winter where I am……just hot all the time. It will be running again today my engine bay get really hot so I guess I will soon. Find out if it is going to cause a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom