FZJ80 - Gasket Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

Over the weekend I noticed a leak in the front of the car. 1997 Fzj80 120k miles.

I found a video on youtube describing the issues and fix. He talks about fixing the 3 gaskets : O-Ring Shaft of distributor, Main Front seal on Crank (crank-case seal), Oil pump cover gasket O-Ring.

Since my Valve cover gasket looks like it is leaking as well. I'm thinking of changing the Valve Cover gasket and head gasket since I'm there.

I found a part called Overhaul Gasket Set - 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser (0411166036).

Question?
Does anybody know what is included in the Overhaul Gasket Set (0411166036)?
What other parts should I change in-addition to the follow? IE Timing Chain (I'm not sure)?
O-Ring Shaft of distributor
Main Front seal on Crank (crank-case seal)
Oil pump cover gasket O-Ring
Valve Cover Gasket
Head Gasket

Keep in mind the car is running smooth. Leak coolant leak at all.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I think that what you are calling the head gasket is the valve cover gasket. We usually only replace the head gasket (hg) when it fails, which leaves the vehicle undrivable.
The large front engine cover which houses the water pump, oil pump and timing chain, is sealed with silicone sealant called FIPG in Toyota lingo so there's no gasket to replace there. Start with the distributor O-ring , oil pump cover and the valve cover/spark plug tube seals first. If you don't have a factory service manual (fsm), get one.

The overhaul gasket set has most of the seals and gaskets used to do a full engine rebuild. Read "most".

Thanks baldilocks.

I was thinking of doing preventative maintenance in regards to the head gasket. So i was thinking of replacing it before it fails.

That's mighty ambitious sir! Your rig only has 120k on it. That's just good and broken in. The HG replacement might be overkill at this point.

Thanks baldilocks.

I was thinking of doing preventative maintenance in regards to the head gasket. So i was thinking of replacing it before it fails.

I have 266k miles on the original HG. I would maybe spend the time, money, and effort on other things that are more fun.

An oil analysis will tell you if you're in need of a new HG. If the report comes back good, leave it alone and keep your fan clutch and radiator in good shape.

I stumbled across this thread doing a search. I have been trying to sell my FSM for quite a while with no luck. I will let it go for 60$ plus shipping. I paid about 200$ for it new.

mqFqRg-L6e7-AUrx5Q146iQ.jpg

There's no need to do the HG at 120K miles. I'd spend the energy, time and money on making sure the cooling system is ship shape. Here's a thorough treatment:
ExpeditionLCMajorcoolingoverhaul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom