FZJ73!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.snlandcruisers.com
how many of you would be interested in these trucks?

The 1FZ in N. American 80's is a great motor. I personally feel it is a bit of a dog (slow) and fuel consumption not the best but is is very reliable and does have decent torque. However the 80-series is a heavy truck and get real heavy real fast when you start adding goodies to them. The 73 series must be considerably lighter.

The trucks I am looking at are early 1990's. Heaters and factory A/C. Power windows and door locks. Non-FF rear axle. Carb'ed 1FZ with a 151 trans or do they have the H55. Have not dug into them enough to identify trans but they do have a 5spd. Part time t-case.

I think they are pretty cool trucks and I would think be very desirable for people in say California where it is hard to register diesel. Also for folks who just don't want a diesel.

The earlier 3F powered FJ73's just seem like they are getting outdated with lack of parts. I know the 3F is a great motor but I was never really a fan.

What say you!?

Cheers

Speaking as an owner of a 3F powered cruiser, my opinion is that it is not too hard to get parts for the 3F. There are some parts not available within the US but I still have not had any issues getting them.

It is not a bad motor...majority of the issues I have had with mine was due to the poor maintenance style that seems to be common in Colombian cruisers. They are not about preventive maintenance, they just fix things as they break and often in some hack job ways....

Speaking as an owner of a 3F powered cruiser, my opinion is that it is not too hard to get parts for the 3F. There are some parts not available within the US but I still have not had any issues getting them.

It is not a bad motor...majority of the issues I have had with mine was due to the poor maintenance style that seems to be common in Colombian cruisers. They are not about preventive maintenance, they just fix things as they break and often in some hack job ways....

Ya but it seems parts are being less and less available for the 3F. There is a thread about it in the 60 section.

Yours must be a 5spd? Must not be as bad as the auto trans found in 62's.

I hear ya on the preventative maintenance but I have also seen so much jack job crap on USA trucks it is not even funny. The only difference I really see in N. America vs Latin America in terms of solid trucks is we have more trucks up here that are not such a mess. But hacks and lack of good maintenance exists everywhere. Just my opinion.

Cheers

Last edited:
No H55F ever behind a 1FZ that we know of from the factory.

H150F or H151F.

So Beno, 3F's had H55? And is there a quick way to identify without actually looking at the trans? Such as shifter location in the trans hump?

Cheers

Yeah...mine has the H55F 5 spd.

If the cruiser was FRP, I probably would have sold it long ago and went diesel. However I really, really enjoy my soft top.

Yeah...mine has the H55F 5 spd.

If the cruiser was FRP, I probably would have sold it long ago and went diesel. However I really, really enjoy my soft top.

This sounds weird to me, I always enjoyed my FRP in winter time and no top in summer time, I installed the softop on it and feel that I should take it off again to enjoy that full convertible feeling and when the weather starts to turn to install my FRP again to be fully protected from rain and wind and have nothing flapping in my cruiser like all softops do.

The 1FZ in N. American 80's is a great motor. I personally feel it is a bit of a dog (slow) and fuel consumption not the best but is is very reliable and does have decent torque. However the 80-series is a heavy truck and get real heavy real fast when you start adding goodies to them. The 73 series must be considerably lighter.

The trucks I am looking at are early 1990's. Heaters and factory A/C. Power windows and door locks. Non-FF rear axle. Carb'ed 1FZ with a 151 trans or do they have the H55. Have not dug into them enough to identify trans but they do have a 5spd. Part time t-case.

I think they are pretty cool trucks and I would think be very desirable for people in say California where it is hard to register diesel. Also for folks who just don't want a diesel.

The earlier 3F powered FJ73's just seem like they are getting outdated with lack of parts. I know the 3F is a great motor but I was never really a fan.

What say you!?

Cheers

So now there are 5 of us going after FZJ73's from next year on.Everybody that knows me knows that I am a diesel guy but with the supply of lhd diesel cruisers almost drying up I feel this is a good addition to what I sell since they are lhd and the 1FZ with carb is a fun engine to drive with a 5 speed behind it .

Maybe it is because of my poor hearing but I don't have a lot of flapping going on and what flapping there is...I don't really hear it.

You have the best set up though...you can switch back and forth from soft top to FRP or the other way around. ;) I can't.

Maybe it is because of my poor hearing but I don't have a lot of flapping going on and what flapping there is...I don't really hear it.

You have the best set up though...you can switch back and forth from soft top to FRP or the other way around. ;) I can't.

My softop is pretty quiet as long as I don't go faster then 70 mph, speed limit around here is 75mph so everyone drives 85 mph on the highway, frp is preferred then ;)

The built 4.6L 1FZ-FE in my old 80 Series was an absolute blast to drive with the manual 6 speed RA Tacoma transmission. Nice torque and a smooth pull all to way to redline. The 1FZ really "wakes up" with a little work... I'd be willing to develop a few choice bolt ons.

What say you!?

Cheers

I say bad ass!! I want one.

So Beno, 3F's had H55? And is there a quick way to identify without actually looking at the trans? Such as shifter location in the trans hump?

Cheers

The surest way is looking at the aluminium tag on the engine bay. It also gives you the diff ratio, lockers ect.
This is a HDJ78 but the shifters would be in the same place as this. I think they used some fancy extension on the T/case so it lined up with existing holes. More or less

exotic cruisers 011.jpg

Cheers

Yes, 3F had H55F.

It would have a split case attached to it.

The 1FZ/H150/151 combos would have the later 80 series style HF1A part time manual case or the HF2A full time transfer case.

More than likely most of the time for the Central American/South American markets the HF1A.

The surest way is looking at the aluminium tag on the engine bay. It also gives you the diff ratio, lockers ect.
This is a HDJ78 but the shifters would be in the same place as this. I think they used some fancy extension on the T/case so it lined up with existing holes. More or less

View attachment 1535626

For sure and de-code the vin plate as well. Can't always do that though and I like to have a trained eye. I was pretty newbie on 70-series four or so months ago but have learned a lot. I like to know the ins and outs of trucks I am interested in.

Thanks for the pic!

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom