FZJ73 Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@JuanJ and @Broski thanks for your answers!
I'm planning to install the stabilizer back, that's sure. I just had to fabricate stabilizer link extensions for the 2" lift I also have. My tires are 10.5", so I assume their width should not be a problem?
Maybe it's just my lack of experience with trucks that makes me feel steering could/should be better, by comparison to "normal" cars. I should get someone around to verify it, I guess.

Hello,

10.5 in. or 265 mm wide tires are good. No rub, no additional wear and tear on the drive train.

Camber and caster adjustment is a must with a 2 in. lift.

Check the condition of tie rod ends, knuckles, rotors, bearings and seals.

Factory steering damper mounts should be enough to handle the suspension lift. There is no need to fabricate something fancy.

Install an OME or Dobinsons steering damper and do not look back.

Juan

Hello,

10.5 in. or 265 mm wide tires are good. No rub, no additional wear and tear on the drive train.

Camber and caster adjustment is a must with a 2 in. lift.

Check the condition of tie rod ends, knuckles, rotors, bearings and seals.

Factory steering damper mounts should be enough to handle the suspension lift. There is no need to fabricate something fancy.

Install an OME or Dobinsons steering damper and do not look back.

Juan
Thanks Juan!

I have installed new knuckle and wheel bearings, new seals, new tie rod ends, new rotors and pads - I did a complete rebuild of this area while there. This truck wasn't well maintained by PO and for me it serves partly as a way to learn (I'm doing everything myself), because it's by no means a classic - swapped engine and body, among others.
I also installed new Terrain Tamer front suspension (2" lift), including steering dumper - the old suspension was worn out and saggy.
So now only caster correction bushings are left on the list. :)
Maybe I should start my own (re)build thread. ;)

Edit: actually the lift is 40mm if that changes anything.

Last edited:
Let’s see some pics !!!!!

I’m an SA FJZ73 owner. Mine was pretty dang solid from day one but definitely not perfect. I did a lot of required maintenance and updates along the way. Got mine really solid and absolutely reliable where I’m at now. No doubt, SA maintenance and care are not the best but there are pretty decent ones out there if you look.

Great vehicles and a ton of fun…. The more you do yourself the more you learn. I will add there are certain electrical parts that are no longer produced and their availability is getting limited. I’ve made sure to have a collection of these set aside for the future….. rainy day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom