FZJ 80 vs. FJ 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While I was looking for a '95-97 FZJ80 to use as a daily driver, I found a very clean '87 FJ62 (w/ 110k mi). My uses are: (i) daily driver--incl. kid duty; (ii) haul dirtbikes and gear (under 1500 lbs.) to riding area; and (iii) light off-roading. I'd like to hear what 80 series people think of the 60 series.

I know that the 80 series will be more refined and probably faster. My question is whether (for my intended uses) it'd be better to buy a cheaper 62 and do more modifications or to buy a more expensive 80 and do fewer mods. Is the 62 so much harsher and slower (could it even pull a hill at highway speeds as I intend to load it?) that I should not even consider it? Is there anything that is better on the 62 than it is on the 80?

I'm going to do a similar post on the 40/60 series board to see what those guys think. I apologize if my redundent posts bug you (but I want to hear both sides of the story).

Thanks in advance for any responses.

couple more questions to throw at ya, how many kids, do the kids have freinds, if and when you modify how much so. and the final kicker for me when I bought my 80 can you find a 62 without cancer in it.
the reason I ask is the 80 series will set you back more on your initial cost but you also have the option to throw two more kids and less gear in the back seats note I said kids adults do not work well back there. You can also get the 80 with leather seats readily and they are much easier to clean than the cloth seats, goes back to how many kids. also back to initial cost being more if and when you decide to modify your rig If memory serves the 80 series is a lot less expensive to get to marginal trail duty status.
that said the 62 does have part time 4 wheel drive wich is a bonus if you plan to tow quite a bit. this is offset by the 3fe, mighty as it is, does not like towing on hills. plan on getting passed. I chose the 80 for better ride quality and less rust than any 62 or 60 series I found.
basically look at the big picture not of what you have to pay right now but what it will take to get it to the point where you want it to be and do the math.
Dave
oh and by the way 3FE kicks ass!!!!

I have both. (see sig) And hands down the 80 wins in every category. Plus 62's aren’t all that cheap. IMHO I think a Z would rock a 62. Now a 91 or a 92 is a different story. Sorry 3fe guys. If it's a money thing then do what you have to, but in the end you will be happier with a 93 and up on an 80.

And FYI if it's a 87 it's not a 62.

I agree with the other posts - for a DD and light duty on everything else - I would say an 80 hands down. I came from a BJ60, which I loved, but a newer 80 is a better rig for most of the stuff you listed. Ride quality is much better, more passenger capability (although the back of 60s are HUGE), WAY more power (>93) and generally in better condition than many 60s - YMMV.

I would love to have a 60 as an 'occasional driver'/leave at cottage, etc (I've been chatting with a local guy about buying his BJ60 - so who knows!)

Cheers, Hugh

Thanks for the replies. You guys are confirming what I kind of knew already; the fzj80 is better for my needs. As I like the looks and "classicness" of the fj62, I was kind of hoping that people would say "the 60 series is a really good daily driver (like the fzj80) go ahead and get one." BTW, the one I was looking at was an '88 (and a 62--square headlights and all), not an '87 (sorry for the typo).

Out of curiosity, why does everyone complain about how slow the early 80-series vehicles are (I hear fewer complaints about the 60/62 series) when the 62s had, as I understand it, the same engine? Is it just because the 80s are heavier and, therefore, slower?

Thanks again--this is a great site.

[quote author=ebod link=board=2;threadid=7718;start=msg64798#msg64798 date=1069195844]

Out of curiosity, why does everyone complain about how slow the early 80-series vehicles are (I hear fewer complaints about the 60/62 series) when the 62s had, as I understand it, the same engine? Is it just because the 80s are heavier and, therefore, slower?

Thanks again--this is a great site.
[/quote]

though i cant compare my my fj80 to an fjz80, i can say that it does highway speeds easier than my 60, compared to a 62 though im sure it gets beat as the 62 has the same engine as my 80 and less weight. Its not that bad on the flats, but on the big hills youll notice. I believe the 91-92s didnt have the option of lockers either, which is another reason to look at 93's and up. I like my 91, but when theres room for another cruiser, probably going to be looking for a 97. :D

"the 60 series is a really good daily driver (like the fzj80) go ahead and get one.

The 60 is a good daily drivers. Get one. :D

Had to support my team guys :D

I trust mine to start everytime, and I don't worry about repacking birfields as much.
Ohh-- and I get a whole 2mpg more than the 80.
So it's not as quiet on the highway... buy a good stereo and you won't hear the kiddies naggin you.

An FJ62 is a GREAT daily driver. It's just that an FZJ80 is an EVEN BETTER daily driver.

FJ80's (91-92) weigh about 400 pounds more than FJ62's, so they are slower with the same engine.

60 series gets the worst of the 40 series and the worst of the 80 series :-\ :flipoff2:

Get the later 80 and you'll be much happier in the end.
spudnikbackflip.gif
:flipoff2:

... I'm sure those comments won't upset anyone. ::)

I too traded up from a 60 (BJ60) to an fzj80. What a world of difference. It's my wife's DD.

Much quieter, faster, safer, comfortable and easier to modify.

The 60 was a classic and I had good times in it but..... I love my 80 more.

[quote author=ebod link=board=2;threadid=7718;start=msg64798#msg64798 date=1069195844]
[/quote]

For me, I EXPECTED my 60 to be slow (circa 1982) and a bit rough around the edges!

We have both an '88 FJ62 (hers) and a '93 FZJ80 (mine). Hers has 162k miles and mine has 265k miles.

You couldn't take Lee's FJ62 away from her if you tried. She loves it. She knows it's limitations and accepts them because she loves the body style and sense of uniqueness she gets when she drives it. Not too many around here. I've offered her a '97 40th ann. edition before, only to be turned down. The 62 has a recent exterior restoration and the interior is nearly flawless.

My '93 FZJ80 is a much more comfortable vehicle to drive. It has more power and rides a LOT better. It's not as beautiful (paint wise, busted flare) but I love it. I like having both in the family. We are a unique driveway on our street :p I'm sure everyone thinks we're RICH. They are quite wrong. We're just smart and are members of the RIGHT community of enthusiasts.

Jody.

i say go with a nice fj62. they arent nearly as slugish as the early 80's and they are much more nastalgic(spelling). or here is a great solution. buy both. 80's are that cheap to have work done to either. we have an 85 fj60(org. owners) and we also have and 80. the knuckles often need work on 80's and the 60 seems to take beatings much bettter. just my 2 cents

Coming from the 60 series camp. I would say that you would be a fool to buy a 62. I see that you say light off roading. Start comparing what it costs to go light off roading. New springs and shocks for the 62 will be abou 1600 dollars new springs and shocks for the 80 will be about 650. The 80 has the possibility of having factory lockers which are free. Adding ARBs to your 62 will run you 15-1700. So all of sudden that extra cash you had to lay out for the 80 to begin with becomes a bargin. Tires are more expensive for the 16s too, so I guess that would be a minus for the 80. Although if you are going with wider tires on the 62 you'll be buying new wheels. The one drawback I see to an 80 vs. a 62 mechanically is the front axle seal maintainence. But you could also argue that the fulltime 4wd is safer, plus anti lock brakes, 4 wheel discs, etc... Another downer for the 62 in my opinion is folks think they are awesome and they really have high resale values. Artificially high in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom