future newbie has code questions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! My name is Roy nilsen and I am currently trying to find a 94 or newer 80 series to buy. I have found one that is running very well but is idling rough at times, every other drive brings up the check engine light. I have search the archives and found no mention of this. The individual selling had a mechanic code read with these results: p0300(engine missfire) 301, 303, 304, 305. He then did some kind of carbon cleaning to fix the problem with same results. Anyone have any idea what the fix might be? Distributor, wires, plugs, maybe valves? the motor has 113k and it is a 95. Thanks in advance!

Roy

I think I would get those misfires fixed before I bought it

Roy,

It's probably not the valves. 113k is not a lot of miles on these and most of us on this forum have more miles than that 95 you're looking at.

If the vehicle has original plugs, rotor, dizzy cap, and plug wires then it's time for those to be replaced though I don't think that is the reason for those codes.

P0300 is Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0301 is Misfire Detected, Cylinder 1
P0302 is Misfire Detected, Cylinder 2
P0306 is Misfire Detected, Cylinder 6

Another possibility is the wiring harness that goes by the EGR valve. This is in a high heat area and there have been several reports of these wires burning the insulation off and shorting, causing random misfires.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

If you don't find a good 80 fairly soon then consider following E9999999 around as he is looking for the world's most perfect truck and likely will let some good ones slip away. :D

-B-

edit: errrrr... never mind.... :D
E

if it has 80k+ on the oddo and never had the plug wires replaced this could be the problem as well as spart plugs, car or rotor.

just guessing.

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=8983;start=msg78102#msg78102 date=1071883335]
Just the one that fits my needs and/or desires, according to my standards... :slap:
E
[/quote]
That sounds like a "fuss duff" to me :flipoff2:

it *is* the holidays indeed, so I decided to shut up after all :rolleyes:
Eric

The dealer selling it said he did a modest tune up with no luck and he isn't willing to spend any money on it. He would rather sell it a little cheaper and if that does'nt work just wholesale it. I am going to ask him to inspect that wiring harnes near the EGR valve and ask some more questions. Thanks for your input!!!

ps. hey e9999 got any leads?

All those misfire codes tells me (an auto tech) that you have something causing a misfire in each cylinder. I.E. bad plug wires may cause 1 or 2 bad cylinders here and there but every cylinder - not likely! The EGR comment makes sense, if the EGR valve was staying open when it wasn't supost to be it would be alowing exhaust gas in to EVERY cylinder thus causing what the computer thinks is a misfire. try disconecting the vacume line from the EGR valve after clearing the codes and see if it recodes, if not you found your problem, if it does recode then you may have a valve that is mechanically stuck open and will have to be removed and inspected. Alwas start with the easiest check.

ncc, would be happy to give you any leads I can find if you're in SoCal, but I'd have to check with BW first to make sure he'd give his blessing to the particular rig. He's keeping an eye on me now to make sure I don't buy a dud, you know :D
Eric

XL715,
On the 1FZ-FE engine there is a big wiring harness that has all the engine conrol wires including the wires that fire the injectors. This wiring harness passes along the firewall and comes next to the EGR valve along the top of the engine. The heat from the EGR valve tends to cook the insulation off these wires causing shorts.

I was not implying the EGR valve itself would create various engine misfires and I have never heard of that being a problem on these engines.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom