Fusible links (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let me tell you a thing or two about fusible links........

#1: Replace them!!!!

#2: Replace them!!!

I went on and off for the last 10 months with an intermitant stall and starting problem. Just happened to occur the exact same time I had a remote start put on. After spending close to 40 hours trouble shooting, a couple of tow trucks and a lot of time on here I finally took the remote start out. Now 3 months later I have been trouble free (though I rarely drive the vehicle). Today it dumped me with the exact same problems as before. Jumped the fusible links and TADA!!!! So 12 bucks to my Toyota Stealership and I will be picking them up on Wednesday and getting rid of my current hodge podge jumper system.

ohh the love of the Land Cruiser.

I have a couple of gremlins which I think are quite possibly due to fusible links. I don't have an fsm yet and looking at Haynes wiring diagram is like trying to do one of those finger trail mazes with no opening or solution at the end. Can you point me in the direction of some of these links?

I have a couple of gremlins which I think are quite possibly due to fusible links. I don't have an fsm yet and looking at Haynes wiring diagram is like trying to do one of those finger trail mazes with no opening or solution at the end. Can you point me in the direction of some of these links?

Sadly no, I just pulled out the volt meter and started playing doctor. I was getting 12V at the ignitor but when I cranked the key over it would drop down to 6 volts. I ran a jumper on black fusible link to both positions. When I crank I now get about 10.9 volts. That is enough to get it started and running fine.

I replaced mine a few weeks ago as part of a PM thing, not to mention the original FL was looking pretty ratty and somewhat dodgy.

It wasn't causing any issues but, for $23AU, it's just so much easier to replace now rather than fault find out the back of bumcrack, at night!!!

Went thru this about 2 months ago. Driving about 55, and the truck died, no electricity at all. found that the PO did a (Mac Giver) repair on the fusible links. :mad:

I am putting the new links on tomorrow. But I've been running it with the jumpers right now and the rig runs great. I did a tune up with I first purchased the truck and that made a huge difference but it was never like a couple of the other rigs I had driven. I can tell you that it is now. Amazing the difference it made in smoothing out the idle and the power.

Again just do it as PM. It is worth the 13 bucks.

An easy, reliable test for fusible links is to simply pull on them. If one is broken, it will stretch or pull in half, good links feel solid.

I've been trying to work out really odd starting behavior with my diesel 80. sometimes I'll crank for 20 seconds before it fires, other times 2 seconds. Doesn't seem connected to engine temp, or ambient temp. I know there isn't a fuel issue, so I'm looking at something electrical perhaps in the glowplug circuit. Not knowing anything about how that works, or what the fusible links are meant to do (or not do), I'm persisting as is for now, but it's an old 90 (3/1992 build) and stuff breaks on old machines.

Are the diesel fusible links for 80's still avail from toyota? Will try to find out p/n's and plug them into amayama to see what comes back.

How do I go about testing the glowplug circuit? My 80's glowplugs are the older std type I think.

Craig.

Pic of my fusible link connection box with lid removed... From just looking at it I have no idea what to measure. Can the fusible links between this box and the batt + terminal be tested with a meter for resistance? Maybe getting a new pair of links and just replacing them is the best option.

25416165503_937f9b663b_b.jpg

flickr page

Couldn't edit my other post - clicked 'edit' a few times and it did nothing. grrr argh.

Back from the dead :skull:

Anyone got a part number for these fusible links?

replaced the main one to the computer on my 91 years ago. heavy gauge wire long enough to go over behind the air cleaner box where it's a little cooler, with a large type fuse. no problems since. 20amp fuse if i remember right.

Back from the dead :skull:

Anyone got a part number for these fusible links?

Buy two. Keep a brand new spare in your glove box.

I am trying to deal with intermittent starting too. 1st try no go, 2nd try starts right up. Keep us posted on your progress. Thanks.

I replaced mine with 'mega' fuses. Mine being a diesel the wiring is a little different, the fusible link ratings are a little difficult to track down, I found one and had to guess the other. I went by what the circuit was supplying and also the gauge of the wire and the maximum amps I could get the various circuits to pull. I did go one size lower than my estimation, and the mega fuse did not blow but did get warm, heater fan on full, headlights, HRW etc. I went up a size and the fuse body stayed cool, been in there quite awhile now with no issues.

regards

Dave

Figure I will mention it here, but if you changed out your battery cable ends to the military style the OEM links need to be drilled out a touch larger to fit. At least with the ends I used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom