Full width Chevy axle help leaf help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keep in mind that if you have arched springs, that 45* angle is not going to work well. they need to be pretty much flat to be good with a 45* angle.

Thanks guys, I got some flatter, shorter jeep :censor: springs . Ill see if i cant get them to work with rear shackles. If I cant I'll cut my spring mounts off and run front shackles.

Thanks guys, I got some flatter, shorter jeep :censor: springs . Ill see if i cant get them to work with rear shackles. If I cant I'll cut my spring mounts off and run front shackles.
I am currently running into the same problem you were having on this thread. I'm using a chevy D44 up front with a shackle reversal and cant get my diff to stop pointing at the ground. How did you solve the issue. I'm currently stuck and cant seem to get past this problem. Thanks

FWIW I recall a thread where the pad was machined to correct pinion angle, another where a degree shim was used, either way the real art is figuring out how to use the 2 inside bolts holding the spring plate down ??? IIRC studs welded in at the correct angle was one solution. Glenn White covered these issues in his build, can't recall his username.

FWIW I recall a thread where the pad was machined to correct pinion angle, another where a degree shim was used, either way the real art is figuring out how to use the 2 inside bolts holding the spring plate down ??? IIRC studs welded in at the correct angle was one solution. Glenn White covered these issues in his build, can't recall his username.

I am probably the one peesalot remembered machining the cast spring perch. That was 15 years ago with my FJ45 Truggy, Dana 60, SOA, Shackle reversal, with the the rear shackle upper pin mounted thru the frame. I ended up with 10* + caster and the pinion pointing down far too much. My solution was to put the entire housing on my milling machine and mill a 6* wedge out of the stock spring perch. Any competent machine shop can do that for you. The ONLY alternative, IMO would be to add a wedge to your existing PS perch in order to bring the pinion up and then cut and turn the knuckles. My 0.02$.

Jack, please share your solution for the inner bolts ?? once machined the threads are at the wrong angle ?? I can't remember what you did ?
Heck, I can barely remember your rig with leaf springs.

Man, you are pushing the limits of my feeble old brain, John. As far as I can recall, I had to add a wedge on top of the spring equal but opposite to what I milled off the perch. If I had to do it over again, I would probably just use two wedges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom