Full-Lock Grinding/Rumble... any ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys/gals... just visiting here from the 120-series forum!

my brother in law just purchased a 2011 gx460 with 160K miles on it. great condition and clean/complete service records through lexus. however, we noticed that when turning full-lock (both left and right), there is a rumble/grinding noise when reversing... i can very slightly feel it at full-lock when going forward, but it's much more noticeable when in reverse. my wife has a 2015 gx460 with 30K miles on it (just a baby), and hers doesn't do it.... my '06 470 also doesn't make any noise, but i have new CV's and new tie-rods.

has anyone else experienced this? my first thought is that perhaps the CV's are going bad... or maybe the power steering. i'd hate to think maybe there's something funky going on with the diffs. let me know what you guys think!

My first thought: check the CV boots for cracks - it sounds like CV boots and joints need some TLC/replacement, but without an inspection I'm just speculating.

thanks for the input guys! so, the GX went in for inspection today... they didn't find anything wrong with the CV axles, but they also didn't have a diagnosis for the grinding. what they DID note is that the timing cover is leaking and it will take $2500 to fix it. now, i don't doubt that it takes $2,500 to do that kind of work, but i'm wondering how necessary this is. the leak would have to be severe to warrant that work right?

My first thought: check the CV boots for cracks - it sounds like CV boots and joints need some TLC/replacement, but without an inspection I'm just speculating.

Does it have oversized tires? If yes, it could be rubbing against some plastic, particularly at full lock in reverse.

the car is riding on stock suspension and stock wheels/tires, so it's not rubbing on plastic...

When was the last time the transfer case fluid was changed?

That timing cover is no more than $400. The book at the dealer shows $2500 because they price it the same as a timing belt job on a 470.

it's crazy... i told him to just take a closer look to see if he can visually see much leaking, and if not just keep an eye on it.

That timing cover is no more than $400. The book at the dealer shows $2500 because they price it the same as a timing belt job on a 470.

If it's something that's easily repeatable, then just take it to a trusted mechanic and have them look at it. Worst that could happen is they tell you what's wrong and give you a quote. I think that may be better than all of us arm chair mechanics giving advice on something we can't have first hand experience of seeing.
Although, I'm disrespecting any posts here, and there is a HEAP of knowledge here, but sometimes things like a noise or something that's not very tangible is best done with someone physically looking it.
Just my 2 cents...
Hoping it's a simple fix!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom