fuel system overhaul time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.oregoncruisers.com
Went out to the shop this morning and found a puddle of gas under the 40. Old patch jobs on the original tank finally gave out. Got a new tank ordered up, cant believe they are still in stock! Only a few left says Dan. Get em while ya can!

I have decided to replace all my fuel lines while I am at it. The stock line from the tank to the filter looks to be plastic and is very hard after 40 years.

What is everyone doing as it looks to be that you cant get new lines anymore?

Depends on if you want it OEM as possible, converted to all USA fittings, red neck as hell, fugly but functional or any combination of the above. With the exception of a Marine fuel filter /water separator, my 2/71 is all OEM fittings. If you have the patience to locate a line shop, even the OEM plastic lines can be custom made for you.

No matter what you do, be sure to save the original tank outlet fitting and about 6" of the original line. That fitting is real difficult to come by and it doesn't come off the fuel line. Its permanent as far as I know. If you don't use it, someone else may want to buy it from you.

I just bought new soft line from the local parts store. I learned the hard way to hold onto the original fitting and keep about 6" of the original line. Coolerman bailed me out and had an extra fitting with several inches of original fuel line still attached. I connected his original soft fuel line to the new stuff I bought and ran the new stuff up to the filter.

Ok, so are you guys running rubber line from the original fitting up to the pump? Would a hydro hose shop be able to make me something a lil more slick then rubber hose from napa with half a dozen hose clamps holding it all together. I like clean tidy and nice....does not have to be oem...but if I am doing it I want to do it "right".

Plastic fuel lines? Never heard of such. Someone willing to fill me in?

Sure here is a pic of mine. If you look close you can see its translucent.
40fuelline.jpg

I ran

-original tank outlet fitting still attached to about 6" of original fuel line
-joined the 6" of original fuel line to brand new rubber fuel line all the way to the filter

In order to run 100% new hose, you would need to source a new tank outlet fitting.

Just as a FYI you don't need the fitting that comes from the old tube fuel line, unless you want to run completely original..standard pipe thread will fit.

Anyone know what thread that fitting at the tank is? I am planning on putting a fuel filter before the pump and there is already one after the pump from the PO. So I dont really need to worry about the pump end just the tank fitting.

The tank outlet fittings aren't BPST, they are female 13mm x 1.5

This size female fitting is used twice in the fuel system.
1, the tank outlet. 2, the fuel line to fuel pump union (most call it an adapter, but Toyota calls them unions). The female threads found directly on the fuel pump body are 1/8-BSPT. The union takes the 13mm x 1.5 fitting and reduces it for entry into the fuel pump to 1/8-BSPT. From what I remember, the fitting on the tank outlet is a compression fitting, while the fitting that connects to the union on the fuel pump is a barb. Either way, they are both 13mm x 1.5.

I know in my previous posts I stated that you would have to source new tank outlet fittings if you wanted all new fuel lines, but after digging around my old PM's with Coolerman I just remembered what I was going to do to get around sourcing new 13mm x 1.5 fittings. I was going to remove the barb 13mm x 1.5 fitting that was used to connect the fuel line to the union on the fuel pump and put it on the gas tank outlet. Then purchase a barb fitting that will thread (1/8-BSPT) directly fit into a fuel pump, bypassing the union which required a 13mm x 1.5 fitting.

So basically you are removing the compression fitting and the union from the equation and using 2 easy to remove/install barb fittings. You can run all new fuel lines this way, no hose clamps and it keeps a clean look.

Coolerman's website has great info on this very topic, all of sizes/threads I mention came from his website. He did a great write up on make new fuel lines. Its worth a look to help clear up any confusion. Here's the link:
Making Fuel Lines

Last edited:
I did a lot of research on the odd fittings. I originally thought they were BSPT threads. After I measured the fittings, I determined they were indeed 13mm x 1.5.

I took the fittings to two hose making shops, neither had ever heard of that size fitting and had to verify for themselves the actual size. I have searched the web many times trying to find that size compression fitting but no luck. I would guess that Toyota used these same fittings on many of the cars they made during the same time period so there should be another source for these lines.

This size fitting is also used on the hard fuel line between the fuel pump and the carb input. The ferrule and line are 8mm, but 5/16 line and ferrule can be used with the old nuts. I used 5/16 brake line obtained from Advanced Auto. They had the ferrules also.

One could make a short hard line to attach to the tank and then use rubber hose to run to the filter.

Someone mentioned that pipe thread would work for this. As has been discussed many times, you can force the NPT fittings onto the tank nipple. If brass fittings are used the brass threads will deform around the steel threads of the nipple creating a seal. This is also a zero pressure fitting as the pump pulls fuel from the tank.

With the current build I am going thru what you are. I got my tank from CCOT, only metal one I found online that had OEM style sender included with purchase. Anyway, I bought a roll of stainless tubing, pre made braided lines with -6 AN ends, crap load of AN fittings, and some AN to pipe adapters.

The plumbing goes: tank - hose - hardline - hose - fliter - hose - hardline - hose - pump - hose - fuel inlet.

I know it sounds complicated, but its not. All my premade lines are 4" long and were less than $12/ea. I have the options to change out anything without a problem. And when I change from carb to MPFI later next year its just a simple pump and filter change. Failure on trail is simple fix and I have the piece of mind. I got all my stuff from speedwaymotors.com

With the current build I am going thru what you are. I got my tank from CCOT, only metal one I found online that had OEM style sender included with purchase. Anyway, I bought a roll of stainless tubing, pre made braided lines with -6 AN ends, crap load of AN fittings, and some AN to pipe adapters.

The plumbing goes: tank - hose - hardline - hose - fliter - hose - hardline - hose - pump - hose - fuel inlet.

I know it sounds complicated, but its not. All my premade lines are 4" long and were less than $12/ea. I have the options to change out anything without a problem. And when I change from carb to MPFI later next year its just a simple pump and filter change. Failure on trail is simple fix and I have the piece of mind. I got all my stuff from speedwaymotors.com

Sounds like a really good setup. Can you post up some pics of it?

I just spent the beginning of my wonderful three day weekend stripping the old motor out. I will have pics up and ready once she is done. The woman was awesome and helped me out today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom