Fuel Storage Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I personally have never liked rotopax.. and sold all mine (4).. or septer fuel cans (the spout situation... opening them, etc.. sold them too)
really if need it I would simply use a wavian 5gal nato fuel can and a simple mount. They are leak proof, steel, serviceable, and relatively cheap.

Plus for the price a 2 gallon rotopax and a mount you get 2.5x the amount of fuel..

Amazon product ASIN B011AJF0PE
holder.
Amazon product ASIN B00VVFTDVK
if you get fancy add a flexible spout which pours really fast and/or the fancy AToverland mount.. which are on my list..

I don't think I paid more than $50 for my tanks - the amazon link is an example

I personally have never liked rotopax.. and sold all mine (4).. or septer fuel cans (the spout situation... opening them, etc.. sold them too)
really if need it I would simply use a wavian 5gal nato fuel can and a simple mount. They are leak proof, steel, serviceable, and relatively cheap.

Plus for the price a 2 gallon rotopax and a mount you get 2.5x the amount of fuel..

Amazon product ASIN B011AJF0PE
holder.
Amazon product ASIN B00VVFTDVK
if you get fancy add a flexible spout which pours really fast and/or the fancy AToverland mount.. which are on my list..

I don't think I paid more than $50 for my tanks - the amazon link is an example
I did the research and decided rotopax for fuel wasn’t a great idea.
1. there are reports of them leaking.
2. The spouts apparently suck.

for fuel, I went with wavian. If you spend the extra 25 dollars or so for the legit original wavian spout, it’s supposedly the best pouring can on the market that I’m aware of. I’d feel comfortable keeping a wavian inside the cab-they do not leak and fumes do not get out. They’re really robust.

for extra distilled water (for me or the truck), I went with the 2.5 or so gallon rotopax. They’re not “likely” to leak, you can easily test them by filling them and leaving them on the floor of your kitchen for a few days, and even if they do leak, a little distilled water in the cab isn’t the end of the world. It’s a manageable and low risk. Also, the 2.5 gallon fits in between the front and 2nd row seat flat on the floorboard. If you have kids in the second row, I doubt the loss of 3 inches or so of floorboard under their feet will be noticed. You could have 5 gallons of spare water there if you wanted (one on the floor on each side).

Last edited:
Thanks all! I'm really just looking for 2-4 gallons of extra in case of emergencies. I think it's sounding like a 2 gal gas rotopax and a 2 gal water rotopax with locking mounts on the side bar of the rack (so they hang outside the rack) may be the way to go. I had read a couple negative reviews that turned me off to the idea, but I definitely trust the opinion of you all that have actually used them more than some randos on review websites.

Definitely considering a trailer, and it may come to that, but I'd really to try and keep everything contained to just the vehicle (plus the hitch-mounted bike rack) if I can!

Long range tank would be amazing, but wouldn't I have to relocate the spare somewhere? I don't think I'd have room to put it anywhere with the box on top and bikes on the back.

I definitely do plan to do some offroading - but maybe in a slightly different way. Our group will include me, my wife, our 5 and 6 yo daughters and my elderly mom. So we won't be doing a ton of camping. Instead, we're planning to stay in rentals for a week at a time, working during the week and adventuring / driving on the weekends as we move our way from the west coast to the east coast. So for example, we'll spend a week in northern arizona, then zion area, then moab , then around Ouray (I'm so bummed that there's just no way for the timing to work out to coincide with LCDC). So before hitting the trails, I'll be able to unload the roof box and the bikes hitch / bikes and take them inside first.

One more quick question for everyone:

So far, the suspension is stock, and i'm perfectly happy with the performance on highway and at local trails. But with all the extra weight, (and I plan to add the locking ARB drawers in the back), I'm considering upgrading now. Primary concern is just passenger comfort vs ultimate off road performance. I think the most extreme trail that I plan to do is Imogene pass. Been looking at BP-51s for a while, but wondering if maybe they're overkill for what I need? And I don't want to negatively impact the ride quality for passengers.

Thanks again!
How was Imogene?

I went the Wavian can route for better or worse. The idea is that I'll siphon the gas from the cans into the fuel tank. Getting them up there when full isn't real fun though. It's not too bad filling htem on the tail gate, then standing on the tail gate to lift them to the roof.
I considered the tow hitch carrier approach but I got too worried about the consequences of a rear-end collision.
The rack is a BajaRack Mega Mule with Baha's gas can carrier.

20220221_144633s.jpg

For anyone with a 3rd gen 4Runner, if you live in the Denver/Centennial Colorado vicinity and are looking for a long range fuel solution, I have a brand new uninstalled Long Range America 29 gallon Aux tank I am selling. They are retailing on the website for $2245 and shipped it from their Idaho facility on a pallet and having it delivered to a residential neighborhood, I paid about $300 more for shipping to Aurora Colorado. I am looking to sell it at the cost of new but can bring it to you if needed. So you will be saving $300. Here is a link to the posting on Craigslist;

Here is a link to the long range America website for more information on exactly what you’ll be getting

I am open to some negotiation in the price. Also I am new to the forum so if someone could possibly direct me to another thread where this info would be more useful for someone I’d appreciate it!

For anyone with a 3rd gen 4Runner, if you live in the Denver/Centennial Colorado vicinity and are looking for a long range fuel solution, I have a brand new uninstalled Long Range America 29 gallon Aux tank I am selling. They are retailing on the website for $2245 and shipped it from their Idaho facility on a pallet and having it delivered to a residential neighborhood, I paid about $300 more for shipping to Aurora Colorado. I am looking to sell it at the cost of new but can bring it to you if needed. So you will be saving $300. Here is a link to the posting on Craigslist;

Here is a link to the long range America website for more information on exactly what you’ll be getting

I am open to some negotiation in the price. Also I am new to the forum so if someone could possibly direct me to another thread where this info would be more useful for someone I’d appreciate it!
This is a 200 forum, probably won’t be many people looking to pay full price for a 4Runner LRA tank here. There however is a classifieds section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom