FRP top and RTT ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So... What I'm reading is that there is really no safe way to mount a RTT (hard shell if that matters) on the FRP top an a BJ74? Sound about right?

Check out mud member reevesci, he makes a roof rack for the frp top that has weight distribution feet along with six mounts to distribute heavier loads more evenly. I purchased one for my hzj73 and the quality was top notch.
20160522_092651.jpg
20160524_090156.jpg
20160524_090409.jpg

@lowenbrau had a Technitop mounted on a sprung over Bj74 about a decade ago, but I don't recall how he mounted it.
IIRC - and I may not - the FRP top gutter mounts are not rated for a ton of weight. About 400 lbs sticks in my head, but I'd suggest looking into it.

@Colby, that rack looks really good, I like how you've got the rear awning mounted.
I have a plan for a lighter-duty-than-that roof rack on my 74 for 2 solar panels, and would really like the option to hang an awning off the back. Super useful.

Mine was just bolted right through the FRP to the roll cage.

@Behemoth60 added standard Thule truck canopy rails to his and then used Thule bars. It seemed to work fine. The FRP tops are surprisingly strong.
Thule Top Tracks 54"

I actually used the Rhino Rack brand 'Canopy Tracks', and bolted them directly to the FRP top. I've run both the Technitop, and most recently, the James Baroud, along with the Foxwing awning, and not had a problem with strength of the FRP.

if you bolt through the roll cage, does that mean you can't take off the removable top anymore? I haven't taken the top off and I don't expect to, but I just don't know if I want to interfere with that option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom