Windshield Frame Removal / FRP Top (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did a search but couldn’t find a thread on this. Now I probably overlooked it and if I did I’m sorry.

I need to remove my window frame to replace it with a new one. I’m hoping I can losen the the FRP top enough to fold it out and put the new one in.

Anyone got a nice step by step to all the bolts that are required. I would also assume it would be easier for the glass company to cut out the windshield and install it on the new frame while it’s on the truck.

I did get this and I’d assume it’s a solid way of doing it but I wondering if loosen center bolts on the top would be enough to get it up for the window frame to come out.

IMG_1335.png

Thanks in advance.
IMG_1336.png

I did this exercise a year ago.
You need to undo the entire hardtop in order to at least move it backwards a bit.
The issue are two bolts that attach the upper door rails to the windshield , left & right corner. Those bolts need to be removed to fold or remove the windshield, but can only be reached with the hardtop being moved backwards to expose the upper windshield rail..
Let me see whether I can find a pic...

Its about how 63163C is attached to the windshield. The nasty bolts are not depicted on the graphic, though.
If you have an owners manual (where your pics came from), there should be more details on how to fold the windscreen. Probably removal of those upper door rails and the bolts are depicted there.
Good luck Ralf

Screenshot_20231120-173918_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Yep what @Felde said. Now you will Probabaly have to loosen all except for the back 2, easiest you can reach of course to get it to lift up enough to reach those top bolts.

The ones in the side panels are a pain, but not hard to do. I pull my top every year, I’m glad it’s only once a year.

Here’s a picture of the bolt. This is when I was changing to soft top, but the bolt is in the same place.

1700513285567.jpeg

are those bolts also needed for the FRP removal?
No. These bolts just fixates the upper door frames to the windshield frame.
With the FRP top removed, the the upper door frame can stay in place in order to continue use the windshield up and door tops attached. That connection between hoop and windshield frame also stabilizes it.
Cheers Ralf

No. These bolts just fixates the upper door frames to the windshield frame.
With the FRP top removed, the the upper door frame can stay in place in order to continue use the windshield up and door tops attached. That connection between hoop and windshield frame also stabilizes it.
Cheers Ralf
@Felde thanks for your reply. I’ve got some great illustrations from member responses on my top removal thread. Should have success to report in the next day or so.

All good !!! Was a slight more pain than I hoped getting everything lined back up and bolted in but glad I did it and is it done !!!!

IMG_1421.jpeg
IMG_1369.jpeg
IMG_1341.jpeg

I think that cowl/windshield seal is what's causing my intermittent leak. Good to know that it's not a total nightmare to reach. 👍

Don’t be scared of it… just have an extra set of hands if at all possible. Makes getting it all back together a lot easier. I was very happy that my cowl area under the windshield frame didn’t have any major rust going on but I would recommend getting done sooner rather than later.

I think that cowl/windshield seal is what's causing my intermittent leak. Good to know that it's not a total nightmare to reach. 👍
Where is your leak showing?
I have an intermittent leak on the far right side, causing water to drip onto the blower bucket.
My theory is this:
The cawl/windshield seal (called 'cushion') sits on a vertical web. Water gets blown under the seal by headwind and is supposed to get catched by that web, and flow horizontal to the sides where it is supposed to drip off.
Issues might be these:
1. That web may have corroded away, causing a straight way for the water to get in. Happened to me.
2. On the left side (on LHD models; reverse for RHD models), there is a switch in the firewall, right within the cushion seal, that disables the wiper functions when the windshield is folded down. It is nicely sealed.
On the right side, though, there is a similar hole in the firewall for that switch on RHD models, which is simply open.
Unfortunately that's exactly the spot where the wipers dump the water and where the web also ends and dumps what blew under the cushion. On heavy rain, this overstrains the cushion seal and the water makes it right trough the hole into the dash.
(You can see the gap for that switch on the last pic of @ASO544 on the left lower corner). Also the cushion seal is clipped down there with some plastic pins, which might have failed.
I recommend to cover up that hole with some good butyl tape and make sure the cushion is really placed an fastened correctly. Also check for that web to have no gap.
Good Luck Ralf

It's on the extreme right, and it's intermittent as well. It can show up with no movement at all if the rain is heavy enough; it's just water finding its way inside. It's vertically in line with the windshield/cowl joint, so every once in awhile when I'm driving in heavy rain there will be a drop that hits the top of my foot (RHD). There's a similar issue on the left side at the same location, but less severe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom