FRP Top Sliding window questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.billstengel.com
The usual overseas part suppliers don’t offer much in the way of info on the S.A. FRP tops. Im assuming because they weren’t officially Toyota-produced assemblies.
The flocking in the window tracks is pretty much gone and the windows grind on grit bedded in the track and on the aluminum track itself. Does anyone know of a way to replace this material? Are there any other solutions to remedy this? Some sort of delrin/ptfe stock formed & placed in the track perhaps?
Also, I have developed an irrational fear of the plastic catches on the sliding windows breaking as I assume that plastic is probably pretty brittle after 29 years. Are these shared with other vehicles? No part number is listed on any of the sources I normally use.
Thanks!

Hello,

Colombia spec FRP tops have particular windows.

OEM FRP top windows have a metal frame.

Only the front windows open in the Colombian tops I have seen. Other than this, I have not given Colombian tops a closer look, though.

You may try to replace the catches with OEM ones. Part number is 62910-95703 for the front one. Notice that this is for OEM windows and you may need to replace the glass, or modify the holes to make it fit.

It should be possible to pull the window weatherstrip out to disassemble the glass and replace the inner seal.

Be careful when removing the window. Colombian FRP tops have a reputation of being prone to cracking.

Juan

Last edited:
Hello,

Colombia spec FRP tops have particular windows.

OEM FRP top windows have a metal frame.

Only the front windows open in the Colombian tops I have seen. Other than this, I have not given Colombian tops a closer look, though.

You may try to replace the catches with OEM ones. Part number is 62910-95703 for the front one. Notice that this is for OEM windows and you may need to replace the glass, or modify the holes to make it fit.

It should be possible to pull the window weatherstrip out to disassemble the glass and replace the inner seal.

Be careful when removing the window. Colombian FRP tops have a reputation of being prone to cracking.

Juan
Thanks @JuanJ I know some of the differences between the OEM FRP and the Fivres ones. The main one being the window shape. I’ll have to grab a photo of the catch that secures the window shut that I’m half terrified of breaking (my kids are the primary users of the side rear windows and can be rough on things).
At this moment in time, pulling the windows isn’t something I’m up for so I’m hunting for a way to solve for the worn out flocking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom