Front Suspension Clunk Help--Steering rack bushings, upper ball joints, steering rack assembly, diff bushings? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,I have a somewhat rusty, trusty 03 LX470 with 165K miles on it. In my past 15K of ownership, I have replaced the following front suspension parts: CV axles, wheel bearings, and front lower control arms. I had a bad front suspension clunk while going over bumps on the driverside, and the bushings on the front lowers were gone, so I had that replaced as well as wheel bearings (that had been on my list). Truck has an Iron Man lift, front diff drop, and 33s. Hopefully you all can help me address some of these concerns I have, and apologies for any post mishaps, as this is my first post after stalking the page for a long while now.

Since getting this work done I have developed the following issues:
  • MOST IMPORTANT: Dead play in the middle position of the steering wheel (sometimes steering feels heavy after making turns, then goes back to that dead play feeling in the middle. Makes me a little uneasy because at times, it feels like the steering wheel has a mind of its own.
  • Developed a front clunk under what feels to be the middle/middle right side while turning over bumps ex. turning from a parking lot into a roadway. The noise kind of sounds like a shutter and not just one loud clunk.
  • Suspension click when coming to a hard stop or after accelerating after being stopped at times.
I brought it to the shop, and they noted a very slight power steering reservoir leak, but it was nothing that alarmed them for the immediate term, but the more I read, the more I start to worry about needing the steering rack replaced. They noted the upper ball joint boots were torn, but still functioned as needed, and they also noted a "stiffening" intermediate steering shaft u-joint that may need attention. Any of these notes seem to address the issues above, namely the steering feel issue?

Thank you all in advance for the help in diagnosing the multitude of issues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom