Front "stubby" bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Picture? rough sketch? You mean basically a winch plate area? I have been debating something like THIS for the front of the 80 but the frame rails are so damn low. What were you thinking?

THIS us a nice simple one too.

Something like this:
P1000892[1].jpg
P1000893[1].jpg

Picture? rough sketch? You mean basically a winch plate area? I have been debating something like THIS for the front of the 80 but the frame rails are so damn low. What were you thinking?

THIS us a nice simple one too.

That's exactly what I am thinking about.

Dafun! that is exactly what I had in mind. Do you have any shots straight on from about 10 ft back?

I have found plenty of sources online where you can buy a front hoop like that about 32" wide - apparently that is the width of a jeep stinger. I have been trying to figure out a way to incorporate that into a nice simple bumper like yours. I guess a winch on top of the frame rails would close up the frame-to-body gap nicely... then I just have to figure out what to do with all the SH*t hanging down on the outside corners.

I know there have been some other guys on here with similar bumpers.

You could hammer that core support. Or you could drill out a couple spot welds and cut a triangle out of each side then bend the support up and tack it in place. Looks clean.

I guess my bumper qualifies as a stubby. W/O the wings, that are already minimal, Its basically just a winch box and skid.

80paint008.jpg

80paint007.jpg

Without the stinger

DSC00789.jpg

DSC00790.jpg

D

Here's some more shots (I too cut the core support but I don't know if these pictures show it):
P1000908[1].jpg
P1000891[1].jpg

Looks Great!!!

Thanks.

The way I figure is if you do the mock up and planning then bring your templates to someone youd be saving a ton of cash and end up with whatever you really wanted. Hell, if you have a grinder and access to some steel you can even pre cut all of the required pieces and get someone to weld them up. Pull your bumper off and go to town with cardboard. You can start off with a simple winch box, get that made, then later on add to it as you see fit.

I honestly couldnt see any fab shop charging you more than a couple hundred bucks to make a winch box out of what, 5 pcs of steel and a couple gussets. Better yet, make friends with a local wheeler that welds and try to get him/her to help you out, thats how I got started.

Good luck.

D

I have a welder and a grinder, but I thought I read somewhere about you using a metal break to get some of the angles.

I guess maybe I'm just lazy...

Darwink, that is a sweet bumper. I like how you kept the body line and tucked it all. The best home built bumper I have seen. Are all the edges/angles broke or cut and welded? I thought about doing cut and weld but I don't know if it would keep the strength? For a daily driver I would need more of an ARB style that sticks forward of the body with headlight and hood protection because I live in the boonies and we're infested with deer. For a wheeler I think the "Darwink" is damn near perfect.

Yeah my front boxed in frame/winch plate/stinger (I don't know if that I can call it a bumper :hmm:) was about $300 with a little frame repair work thrown in as well. A lot cheaper than an ARB, and I can mount the winch on top of the frame rails! My plate isn't drilled for a winch, but that is a 30 minute job when I'm ready to go there. Custom fab work is such a better deal than mass produced stuff, and you get to create it how you want it. Props again to Bryan at 671 Motorsports in Guam for the wonderful fab work! My rear bumper didn't even flinch when 30,000lb of pull was applied to get me out of a high mountain marshy creek bed in October. The driver pulling me out loved the design and the welding job. I can't say enough about good fabricators and what they can do!

Last edited:
Nope, no break. Its all cut and weld although I do have a plasma and that made it really easy to mirror the various shapes (I stack one plate on top of another and make one cut). A couple of the short edges are bent but only 2 or so. The plate on the back of the wings was the funnest because I got to work the steel a bit and shape it.

If youve got the welder and grinder start collecting steel man!

D

You could hammer that core support. Or you could drill out a couple spot welds and cut a triangle out of each side then bend the support up and tack it in place. Looks clean.

I guess my bumper qualifies as a stubby. W/O the wings, that are already minimal, Its basically just a winch box and skid.

80paint008.jpg

80paint007.jpg

Without the stinger

DSC00789.jpg

DSC00790.jpg

D

I would say this is one of my favourite front bumper designs. It's real slick and low profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom