Front spring rubbing on rear hanger bracket? Now solved - you should check yours (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have any of you owners seen or heard of this? Makes a creaking noise at low speed. Both sides are the same.

IMG_0534.JPG

The entire axle housing is only held center to the vehicle by the wimpy spring bushings. You can see that the axle housing has shifted about 1/4" to the right (left?)- dragging the springs with it.
Remedy? Replace all the spring bushings. Front ones too.

Nah bushings are relatively new, springs are less than 10,000km old and clamps are in place. Leaves in each pack are aligned.

The entire axle housing is only held center to the vehicle by the wimpy spring bushings. You can see that the axle housing has shifted about 1/4" to the right (left?)- dragging the springs with it.
Remedy? Replace all the spring bushings. Front ones too.

If I took a photo of the other side it would a mirror image of the photo I attached.

So both springs are either pulled in or pushed out?

When the springs are being installed, there is a bit of play at the bottom spring plate that pulls them up to the axle housing - until it is tightened up. Was the spring centering pin a tight fit into the bottom of the axle housing when it was installed? Did you use the rubber spring wrap insulator with the enclosing metal plate?
If not, was a larger diameter metal spacer bushing installed over the spring centering pin?

If not, the spring pack can shift around under the axle housing because the spring centering pin doesn't fit tight in the axle mount hole.

Just a thought.

You may well be onto it OSS. The rubbers are not fitted and if I remember correctly there is play. I think I'll go and back them off to check it out.

without more pics I'd say the Mil wrap is not wound tight enough. It won't be the first. You can cut the mil wrap to a 3/4 wrap and chamfer the corners. Spring builders will use 1/4 wraps , 1/2 wraps, 3/4 and full wraps....or none at all.
Aftermarket 40 springs with the 35mm eyelet like the late 40 and 60 series don't use a mil wrap so they can be applied to the earlier
models. The spring hanger before 1980 didn't have the clearance for the large bushing and a mil wrap. The older trucks had a mil wrap with a 25mm eyelet... Basically your springs are a manufacturing or design error. The 60 hanger should have room for a large bushing and a milwrap

I rub my front spring all the time ...

:p
:eek:
:censor:
:smokin:

AS mention by lcwizard, the military wrap has too large a radius. Several Aussie owners reported the same issue with this manufacturer and others on a post I made in a FB 60 series group.

Some photos to show what I did this arvo on both sides. It is now silent and may even be a little better riding.

Thanks everyone your assistance!!

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

Very cool, What brand go springs are they?

My rears, maybe fronts are make a creaky sound, I'll have to check them. Mine are OME the PO installed.

How did you fix it? I can see it’s centered better now but what did you do to get it like that?

Oh, I see that now that you pointed it out, thanks.

Very cool, What brand go springs are they?

My rears, maybe fronts are make a creaky sound, I'll have to check them. Mine are OME the PO installed.

EFS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom