Front Speakers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

if you do it right the first time, it always turns out cheaper/ better in the long run.

i am not suggesting a "super audio upgrade" just giving my professional opinion. you can get a good small amplifier for an affordable price. if you want to be sure it will sound better you should eliminate the factory amp in that year/model. 2003 owners have a completely different system and seem to be giving advice based on their factory system, not yours.(bluecruiser)

Last edited:
liveoak said:
if you do it right the first time, it always turns out cheaper/ better in the long run.

i am not suggesting a "super audio upgrade" just giving my professional opinion. you can get a good small amplifier for an affordable price. if you want to be sure it will sound better you should eliminate the factory amp in that year/model. 2003 owners have a completely different system and seem to be giving advise based on their factory system, not yours.(bluecruiser)

Cool, I will look at some amps. Thanks

Goatbeaver

What did you do with the nav and your stock amplifier? Do you get interference sounds like I've read from other posts with people bypassing the stock amp?

just to clarify something here. when toyota uses a seperate head unit and amplifier they are matched together using a certain pre-voltage to get the audio signal from the head unit to the amp. if you replace just the head unit with aftermarket you will not get good clean sound because the aftermarket head unit does not output the correct pre-voltage that the stock amp is expecting. the rca wires voltage is too low and the speaker voltage (which is what most people connect to the factory amp) is waaay too high. yes, it works but the factory amp cannot produce good clean sound when it is overloaded with the high level input it is getting. you can almost expect some kind of engine "whine" associated with this kind of connection. as far as i know, there is no aftermarket radio that has the correct pre-voltage to feed a stock toyota amp correctly.

Last edited:
Goatbeaver

What did you do with the nav and your stock amplifier? Do you get interference sounds like I've read from other posts with people bypassing the stock amp?

the nav is still in there. you really can't get rid of it without a s*** ton of work and mods. I bought a 5 channel digital infinity amp and bypassed the factory amp.

you have to keep your factory amp or your nav will go nuts

I see some inexpensive digital 5 channel amps. Is it plug and play once I pull out the factory amp? I am assuming not and that there will be some wiring to be done. How extensive?

Thanks

the nav is still in there. you really can't get rid of it without a **** ton of work and mods. I bought a 5 channel digital infinity amp and bypassed the factory amp.

you have to keep your factory amp or your nav will go nuts

So your sound is nice and clean?

mr bluecruiser, it is not plug and play but not that difficult either. you will have to run some rca cables from the head unit down under the seat along with the amp turn on wire and run a wire from the battery or use the ahc power wire as i explained here https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/574907-easy-50amp-circuit-mod.html
then you have to attach the speaker wires under the seat to the new amp. you should be able to find the wire diagram for speaker pos/neg and location around here somewhere.
let me know if you're coming back to socal and i'd be happy to assist. if it hasn't already been done here i could do a writeup of the process for our year/models if you like.

Last edited:
liveoak said:
mr bluecruiser, it is not plug and play but not that difficult either. you will have to run some rca cables from the head unit down under the seat along with the amp turn on wire and run a wire from the battery or use the ahc power wire as i explained here https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/574907-easy-50amp-circuit-mod.html
then you have to attach the speaker wires under the seat to the new amp. you should be able to find the wire diagram for speaker pos/neg and location around here somewhere.
let me know if you're coming back to socal and i'd be happy to assist. if it hasn't already been done here i could do a writeup of the process for our year/models if you like.

Ok, that's what I expected. I think the return visit to socal would be ideal to get some help. I will definitely keep you posted when a trip is planned. Thanks

dderrick2 said:
I just had my speakers refoamed for about 20 bucks apiece. I had to do the sub as well, mine were JBL. Worked out great!

Where did you have them, sub specifically, refoamed?

I see some inexpensive digital 5 channel amps. Is it plug and play once I pull out the factory amp? I am assuming not and that there will be some wiring to be done. How extensive?

Thanks

you have to leave your OEM amp in place and just bypass it. i wouldn't do it myself, but i also hate dealing with wires.

So your sound is nice and clean?

the sound is awesome.

Ok, I'm returning the 4-Ohm Polk speakers to purchase the proper 2-Ohm speakers.

I'm going to go with these for the front doors (shallow mounting depth):
Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6032si 6.5-Inch, Shallow Mount High Performance 180-Watt Two-Way Loudspeaker (Pair): Car Toys

And these in the rear (standard mounting depth):
Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5-Inch 180-Watt High-Performance Two-Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics

The rears can be standard depth, correct? Now I just need to find a drop-in replacement for the rear 5.75" subwoofer (dual voice coil, 7.5Ohm)...can't find one anywhere.

Ok, I'm returning the 4-Ohm Polk speakers to purchase the proper 2-Ohm speakers.

I'm going to go with these for the front doors (shallow mounting depth):
Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6032si 6.5-Inch, Shallow Mount High Performance 180-Watt Two-Way Loudspeaker (Pair): Car Toys

And these in the rear (standard mounting depth):
Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5-Inch 180-Watt High-Performance Two-Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics

The rears can be standard depth, correct? Now I just need to find a drop-in replacement for the rear 5.75" subwoofer (dual voice coil, 7.5Ohm)...can't find one anywhere.

are you going to put an amp in? If not you are not going to get the "holy s*** these speakers sound so much better" feeling unless you do. I put my infinities in and thought they were going to sound awesome....i was like meh. When i put the amp in i was like, holy s***!!!!

you need enough power to drive good speakers or they will be subpar

I wasn't planning on putting in an amp now, but maybe in the future. I do realize that I won't be getting the most out of these speakers, and really all I'm hoping for right now is a modest upgrade from stock without breaking the bank.

The rear doors don't need shallow-mount speakers, right?

I wasn't planning on putting in an amp now, but maybe in the future. I do realize that I won't be getting the most out of these speakers, and really all I'm hoping for right now is a modest upgrade from stock without breaking the bank.

The rear doors don't need shallow-mount speakers, right?
I put the same in for all four doors so i don't know. Honestly i don't think the front speakers need shallow mounted speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom