Front Speakers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can anyone confirm Infinity 6030cs speaker front fit?

I see lots of recommendations for the Infinity 6032si (1-7/8" depth) for front and rear replacement, but I wonder if anyone has fit the 6030cs (2-1/4" d) which seems like a better choice if it fits as it has a separate tweeter and crossover that could replace the factory tweeter.

I'm a chicken when it comes to "hoping" that it will fit, and searching came up with several folks "planning" on trying it, but not confirming.

I'm hoping the (probably) better mid/woofer will make up for the crappy factory sub, and I'm not going to add a sub in a box as I'm sticking with OEM appearance.

Thanks!

The 6030cs definitely fits. Cut the old woofer out and use the factory mounting ring. Stash the crossovers in the door panel. Break the stock tweeters off the factory mounts and use a dab of epoxy to hold on the new ones.

Only problem with that set is the really bright tweeter. If your new system has an active EQ, you can tone it down though.

Thanks, Larry, nice to know that will fit.

Head end for now will be the stock JBL/nav system and not much in the way of EQ other than the tone controls in the nav head end - I think bass, mid, and treble settings only.

Not sure if I will ever get to bypassing the factory amp and not looking for a fight with the nav. The bluetooth actually works with my iPhone, next step will be add an adapter for aux audio in instead of the horrid cassette thingie.

Tim

Sorry, I was reading about the 6030cs on my phone and didn't realize that yours is an '04. I know those fit in my '00, but I don't know what changes were made in factory system leading up to your JBL system.

Although I did a complete system in mine because I'm a bass freak...in all honesty, the stock amp does very, and surprisingly, well.

You can't remove the stock amp w/o losing your Nav & making many dash lights go on. IIRC, it has something to do with using a common ground and/or a common power lead between the amp & nav unit.

I put in a JL Audio XR component set up front,JL VR 2-way's in back...all 4 ohm...& hooked them to the stock amp. It sounded great. I ended up putting in aftermarket amps & a Focal 33 KX sub (bought cheap at Ultimate Electronics's going out of business sale). Yeah, the bass is great...but the satellites don't sound much better than the stock amp, if at all.

I would have left the stock amp in place, but I needed a "non-fading pre-out" for my bass amp and this wasn't easy, or practical, with the stock amp. I would have had to put in a speaker level to RCA conversion on the bass speaker outputs on the stock amp and I don't think the impedance levels would work for my bass amp input. IIRC, there were like four outputs and I didn't want to deal with the hassle when I knew how to do it the other way.

If I wasn't so bass hungry, I'd replace the stock front & rear speakers, replace the stock sub (using original box) ...use the factory amp & call it a day. I think there is a thread on here where someone replaced the stock sub & really liked the results. IIRC, it's a 4" sub... It sounds small, but I have a Focal 6 1/2" sub for my home stereo and that little thing shakes the whole house!

Last edited:
I finished my iPhone adapter and speaker install and was surprisingly pleased with the final resulting sound.

My rig is a 2004 with nav and JBL audio, with factory bluetooth but no aux audio input. If you have a later 100 with JBL, a speaker only (factory amp) upgrade will make a nice difference.

iPhone adapter: USA SPEC PA15-TOY

This installed easily under the shifter console, plug and play, and I routed the iPhone connector through the ashtray. Note: as was reported here the additional cable mentioned on the USA SPEC website for land cruisers of this year was NOT needed. Everything works including the steering wheel controls. Sound is excellent. Highly recommended and very inexpensive.

Speakers
Front: Infinity 6030cs (component woofer/mid, tweeter, crossover)
Rear: Infinity 6032si

These installed without any need to modify housings or take apart the old speakers to fabricate mounting brackets. The hole spacing on the main speakers were a little smaller than the originals so I used tin snips to turn the mounting holes in the speakers to slots and they bolted using the original hardware by adding appropriately sized washers. Just pull the speaker housings out by removing 4 screws, pry the old speakers out, cut the wires to the drivers inside the housings to re-use the connectors, solder the wires to the new speakers.

The front crossover installed adjacent to the main speaker as was posted here; you need some appropriately sized wire and crimp connectors to extend the factory wiring as needed.

The front tweeters just barely fit in the OEM spot using the original bracket, you need to pick up some small flat head screws/nuts to attach the round plastic new bracket to the old metal one.

Subwoofer: Unlike older cruisers there is a single driver (in the 5-6" range) and there are very few choices for replacements. After looking it over I noted that the magnet is much larger than the suggested replacement mentioned here on the forum (sort, I can't find my notes on the model), so I decided to leave it alone for now. I'm not into cranking up the bass, just a reasonably balanced low end, and for me it is just fine.

This was a fun project and very inexpensive - under $300 and a couple of afternoons for a very slow worker familiar with wiring and soldering but NOT familiar with pulling apart car interiors.

Tim

Tim

New here and hopefully found the right place.

Bought my wife a 2001 with navigation last year. Has 56,000 miles on it currently.

Only two real issues that bother me when I ride in it are the nav screen and the speakers. The screen is either scratched or lost a protective coating which makes it hard to see when it is really bright.

The front speakers put out way too much bass. The only way to listen to the front speakers is to adjust the bass all the way to minimum and fade almost all to the rear. If the fade is set level front and back, the music or talk is unrecognizable.

Is the blown speaker issue I see above?
Can the nav screen be replaced?

I also would like to play the ipod through the radio. Currently I use a tape adapter but do not like the wire hanging/flopping around.

Thanks for any input.

Can any one tell me which are the positive and negative wire ? I have a dark green and a light green wire.

Mmmm, let me be more specific. I had a light green and a dark green as part of the factory wiring going into each of the front speakers.

Pretty sure lt green is positive.

But to be sure you can use an old installers trick. If you take the speaker over to your work bench and temporarily hook up a 9v battery to the + and - terminals. If when you hook it up and face the front of the speaker towards you, and the front of speaker cone moves towards your face then the wire you have on the positive term of the battery is your positive wire/terminal. If it moves away from you...it's the opposite.

Mmmm, let me be more specific. I had a light green and a dark green as part of the factory wiring going into each of the front speakers.
LIGHT green definitely +.

hth

Steve

Thanks, everyone!

Sorry I thought you were talking about the amp ... Yeah Light green is the positive for that speaker.

Has anyone tried the newer JBL's?
I looked on the website and they are 2ohm and $99 a pair
Think this might be a good option? looks like they have rubber surround from what I can tell
http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/products/GTO628/GTO628_JBL_US?searchMode=regularProductOnly

Have an 01 with NAV (FYI I have the same problem with the screen starting to de-laminate as silverg) any ideas on a screen replacement? Don't want to have to change my Nav and factory amp out yet

Has anyone tried the newer JBL's?
I looked on the website and they are 2ohm and $99 a pair
Think this might be a good option? looks like they have rubber surround from what I can tell
http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/products/GTO628/GTO628_JBL_US?searchMode=regularProductOnly

Have an 01 with NAV (FYI I have the same problem with the screen starting to de-laminate as silverg) any ideas on a screen replacement? Don't want to have to change my Nav and factory amp out yet
Actually I just noticed they have shallow mount from JBL too, little more expensive but $149 a pair
http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/products/P662s/P662S_JBL_US?searchMode=regularProductOnly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom