Front Runner issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I guess I could source high quality replacement hardware and take it to a shop and have it all blasted and re-coated while I have it off. Probably cheaper than a new rack, but I will find out for sure.

Whatever happened with this? I'm starting to look into roof racks for my 2013. FR and Prinsu are still the most popular? I'm surprised there isn't more feedback on this thread from other FR owners given how popular they are. I have a Prinsu on my Tacoma. Zero rust and super quiet. I like the look of the FR but need to find out if like you said it was a QC issue with yours or if they're low quality in general.

Whatever happened with this? I'm starting to look into roof racks for my 2013. FR and Prinsu are still the most popular? I'm surprised there isn't more feedback on this thread from other FR owners given how popular they are. I have a Prinsu on my Tacoma. Zero rust and super quiet. I like the look of the FR but need to find out if like you said it was a QC issue with yours or if they're low quality in general.
Well, I'm dumb. I just realized this was a new thread. Thought it was a couple years old, whoops.

If they’re still using black oxide hardware, I don’t see how this could not be an issue for everyone except those that live in an arid climate like an Arizona Desert. In Vermont black oxides rusts very quickly. I don’t use it on anything exposed to the elements.

I am still up a creek with out a paddle ... Front Runner sent me a email they were sending new hardware from my missing and crushed hardware ... been another 2 weeks with out any hardware showing up , going to send them another email today .
I bought the rack from Metal Tech , they have been more helpful , at least they are trying to get me some help on there end ... this is the worst I have have ever seen spending 1400 for this rack and going thru this BS really sucks .
Only positive thing I have not started my build yet so I may just buy new fasteners in Stainless steel from McMaster Carr to avoid the whole rust thing being in the greater northeast they do use salt in my are and have seen a few post about Front runner black bolts rusting .
So I would not recommend Front Runner right now , I don’t blame Metal tech , they just sold them , Front Runner was totally at fault for not using enough tape on the mounting bracket and fastener packaging was terrible ... who uses 2 pieces of tape on a box shipping cross country 3000 miles and expects it to not break open .
Keep you posted .

Gamiviti for the win.

Before:

IMG_0615.JPG

After:

IMG_0746.JPG

love the gamiviti look, but how long have you had it mounted?

I've seen horror stories about how it rusted just as bad as @1world1love's hardware.... 🤷‍♂️

love the gamiviti look, but how long have you had it mounted?

I've seen horror stories about how it rusted just as bad as @1world1love's hardware.... 🤷‍♂️

All the hardware is stainless, and the PC on the rack itself seems very robust. I don’t anticipate any issues but we’ll see. The hardware on my FR looks similar to the OP’s.

Well, FR support finally acknowledged that the hardware should not have rusted so quickly and so thoroughly, especially considering that I don't live or travel in particularly harsh climates. They are going back to engineering to discuss.

In the meantime, I am putting together a parts list and will put in an order with McMaster-Carr for some decent replacement. I am also going to a shop to get a quote on getting it all blasted and re-coated.

Depending on what the price comes out to, I may just order a rack from Ben and be done with it. At least I know for certain what to expect from him.

Regardless, I may wait until after Overland Expo to fix it. It will be great advertising for FR to have all these rusty parts all over their stuff.

I just got someone called Sameer from Front Runner saying my Ticket has been update ... Not sure what that meant , I told him they suck and I will spread the word ... LOL ... Not Sure who said Front runner was good getting problems fixed ... That is a load of crap .
I just ordered new 316 stainless hardware from McMaster Carr , at least my fasteners will not rust , just make sure you use some form of thread lube if your upgrading to stainless steel is a good tip , stainless likes to cross thread if you don’t lube the threads .

Depending on what the price comes out to, I may just order a rack from Ben and be done with it. At least I know for certain what to expect from him.
I would guess 150-200 to PC a rack.

I’ve also been itching to go full Dissent fanboy and replace my prinsu, but no good reason to dump the prinsu (yet)

A few things:

Black oxide (BO) will 100% rust. The treatment itself is a controlled rust...that's what the "oxide" means. This should not ever be used for exterior hardware.

I doubt they used BO hardware. They likely used a black zinc flake or phosporus treated, which is common beyond words. However, they are available with different levels of topcoat to create different levels of rust inhibition. They likely grabbed a fastener with a low hour-to-rust value and ran with it. Yes, this reduces the fastener's cost.

Do not expect anything better from McMaster unless you look to pay up for a high hour-to-rust (>250) rated fastener.

Stainless is not truly stainless. It will rust, it just takes longer. Most fasteners are 304SS - which is a pretty low grade. Lots of regular zinc coated fasteners have better rust resistance. Also, thread SS into raw aluminum and you can pretty much forget about ever getting it out as it they will nearly instantly gall together.

I just got someone called Sameer from Front Runner saying my Ticket has been update ... Not sure what that meant , I told him they suck and I will spread the word ... LOL ... Not Sure who said Front runner was good getting problems fixed ... That is a load of crap .
I just ordered new 316 stainless hardware from McMaster Carr , at least my fasteners will not rust , just make sure you use some form of thread lube if your upgrading to stainless steel is a good tip , stainless likes to cross thread if you don’t lube the threads .

Just to be fair and even-handed to FR, prior to this, I have had nothing but outstanding support from them. This has been an unfortunate scenario and maybe it is going to be common or maybe it is a blip. Almost all companies have QC issues at some point. It is how they respond that matters and maybe that remains to be seen.

Edited to say - only speaking for myself here. I'm sure from your perspective this is more than an inconvenient blip, and that is totally fair.

Last edited:
A few things:

Black oxide (BO) will 100% rust. The treatment itself is a controlled rust...that's what the "oxide" means. This should not ever be used for exterior hardware.

I doubt they used BO hardware. They likely used a black zinc flake or phosporus treated, which is common beyond words. However, they are available with different levels of topcoat to create different levels of rust inhibition. They likely grabbed a fastener with a low hour-to-rust value and ran with it. Yes, this reduces the fastener's cost.

Do not expect anything better from McMaster unless you look to pay up for a high hour-to-rust (>250) rated fastener.

Stainless is not truly stainless. It will rust, it just takes longer. Most fasteners are 304SS - which is a pretty low grade. Lots of regular zinc coated fasteners have better rust resistance. Also, thread SS into raw aluminum and you can pretty much forget about ever getting it out as it they will nearly instantly gall together.

Yeah, I am definitely going with high-quality zinc plated hardware in most cases.

For the black hardware, I will also go with the more expensive highly corrosion resistant variety.

I will also reiterate that the goal and expectation is not for complete rust-proofing as that is not realistic. But- even the cheap stuff at McMaster-Carr would last longer than what was shipped with the rack.

I'd be careful with that last expectation. McMaster is in the business of making money too. Their bottom tier stuff is one step above pot metal. Gotta admire that speedy delivery though.

Why don't people make more diy ones like the one posted on the 4runner section out of flat aluminum stock? Dam thing looks good.

I have the same issue with my FR rack on an LX470. Hardware rusted well within two years and the thing now makes noise when loaded. Quiet when nothing is on it, but when the tent is on and I hit a bump, it clicks and creaks. Drives me crazy.
I emailed FR a while ago, and they said the same thing, that the hardware is not rust-proof or anything, and asked for photos.
Has anyone ordered replacement hardware and can provide a list?

The front runner site has instructions which has the size of all the bolts. It seems their quality went down hill. Back in 2015 I bought a rack and while it had small spots of surface rust, the powder coat was great. Recently I went over to buy some slats and they said I cannot buy an individual slat unless I buy the whole rack now.

I am looking into a ARB base rack.

Installed three months ago. Looks like the coating is flaking off?

20221224_122151.jpg
20221224_122211.jpg

Installed three months ago. Looks like the coating is flaking off?

I'd be more bothered by that galvanic activity around the fasteners. What material was the hardware made of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom