Front leaf springs: Need close to stock height replacements? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm wrapping up a knuckle rebuild and regear in the front of my '85 4Runner, and id really like to get some new springs up front. Not wanting to lift it much if any, just want to get it at least back to stock height. The stock springs are slightly inverted and ride like a skateboard due to lack of uptravel.

I found only one source of stock replacement springs, and that same brand is sold all over the web. They are made in Indonesia from what I can gather, and honestly don't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about being much if any better than what's on it after a few months use.

Looking into Old Man Emus as well, but I've had some guys tell me they end up being waaayy tall. Can't find anyone that has used them recently though, just some pics on the web from years back and they look to clear 33s easily.

Only other option is Alcan or similar, but that's stretching the budget for now.

If nothing else turns up, I guess I'll pull apart some rears and start stuffing leaves in the front packs and cobble something together. B

Anybody been down this road recently? Anything you could recommend or recommend against? I appreciate any advice. Thanks guys.

OMEs are definitely taller than stock, even taller than the quoted 50mm spec, but eventually they do settle down to that. Maybe pull a lead out of an OME pack? Doesn't make much sense to pay for a full spring them pull some of it out, they're not cheap.

Downey was the last place I knew that made stock height for this generation.

OMEs are definitely taller than stock, even taller than the quoted 50mm spec, but eventually they do settle down to that. Maybe pull a lead out of an OME pack? Doesn't make much sense to pay for a full spring them pull some of it out, they're not cheap.

Downey was the last place I knew that made stock height for this generation.

Man, I miss Downey. My last Toyota had a lot of Downey parts, including their rear springs.

If I don't come up with something I'll have to try and make a pack. Would really just like to buy some nice new ones.

And thanks for the info on the OMEs. I was concerned that they were taller than they were rated.

Man, I miss Downey. My last Toyota had a lot of Downey parts, including their rear springs.

If I don't come up with something I'll have to try and make a pack. Would really just like to buy some nice new ones.

And thanks for the info on the OMEs. I was concerned that they were taller than they were rated.

I bought a rear OME pack for my ‘89 4Runner and mixed and matched some stock leaves into it to give me about 1.75”- 2” over the 31 yr old saggy rear springs. That’s a 295 tire and stock height front with no weight in back. You should be able to achieve something similar with the front.

9C847EC4-3EAE-4B28-B02A-D3AF183A764E.jpeg

I bought a rear OME pack for my ‘89 4Runner and mixed and matched some stock leaves into it to give me about 1.75”- 2” over the 31 yr old saggy rear springs. That’s a 295 tire and stock height front with no weight in back. You should be able to achieve something similar with the front.

View attachment 2276929
I appreciate that bud! Yours looks great.

I'm wrapping up a knuckle rebuild and regear in the front of my '85 4Runner, and id really like to get some new springs up front. Not wanting to lift it much if any, just want to get it at least back to stock height. The stock springs are slightly inverted and ride like a skateboard due to lack of uptravel.

I found only one source of stock replacement springs, and that same brand is sold all over the web. They are made in Indonesia from what I can gather, and honestly don't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about being much if any better than what's on it after a few months use.

Looking into Old Man Emus as well, but I've had some guys tell me they end up being waaayy tall. Can't find anyone that has used them recently though, just some pics on the web from years back and they look to clear 33s easily.

Only other option is Alcan or similar, but that's stretching the budget for now.

If nothing else turns up, I guess I'll pull apart some rears and start stuffing leaves in the front packs and cobble something together. B

Anybody been down this road recently? Anything you could recommend or recommend against? I appreciate any advice. Thanks guys.

Stock springs are inverted and ride just as you described. You can by factory replacement spring but they will look identical to the ones you have now. That is how they were designed. They sat on the showroom floor looking just like yours.

Very big misconception there is something wrong and the spring is not supposed to be like that. Chevy, ford and others had the same design..

Had the stock pack re-arched and added a leaf. Brought it up not 2", but it rides much nicer now. I have a local brake/suspension outfit in my town do it. If i remember right, it was less than $200, and they r&r'd the springs too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom