Front Hub and Disc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to pull the font hubs to replace wheel studs and I'd prefer not to mess with the brakes..

Is there a specific reason that the hub and disc get pulled together?

Has anyone pulled the hub while leaving the disc and caliper in place? Run into any major issues doing this?

TIA, Alex

The disk and hub are held together by the wheel studs. No getting around not having to mess with the brakes.

The disc on the land Cruisers is attached to the hub thru the wheel bolts. It doesn't come off like a normal car. The reason why is like this, no idea...

What year truck?

Also, @AlaskanWheeler is not quite correct in his statement.

You MUST remove the caliper from the mounting bracket.
The rotor is held to the wheel hub with a separate set of bolts, not the wheel studs. This setup is more like a one-ton truck setup for heavy duty operation. You must pull the hub assembly (wheel bearings and all that) then disassemble the rotor from the hub, THEN you can replace the wheel studs. It is NOT a 15 minute job.......

If you have to do a front axle rebuild anyway or need to replace your rotors, now's the time to do it all at once.

If yours is a 91-92, this is the time for an upgrade to bigger rotors/calipers.
Discos.jpg

Thanks all.. 97 truck

The rotor is held to the wheel hub with a separate set of bolts, not the wheel studs. This setup is more like a one-ton truck setup for heavy duty operation. You must pull the hub assembly (wheel bearings and all that) then disassemble the rotor from the hub, THEN you can replace the wheel studs. It is NOT a 15 minute job.......

If you have to do a front axle rebuild anyway or need to replace your rotors, now's the time to do it all at once.

Understanding that the correct way is to pull both.. I'm wondering why this setup doesn't allow the hub and studs to come off without pulling the rotor?

It looks like both bearings are seated in the hub, is that the reason? the rotor would just fall out anyway? I haven't yet dug that deep into the axle, just going by some videos and the cross section..

Just recently had the axle serviced.. will pulling everything down to the rotor mess with the seals?

Thanks all.. 97 truck

Understanding that the correct way is to pull both.. I'm wondering why this setup doesn't allow the hub and studs to come off without pulling the rotor?

It looks like both bearings are seated in the hub, is that the reason? the rotor would just fall out anyway? I haven't yet dug that deep into the axle, just going by some videos and the cross section..

Just recently had the axle serviced.. will pulling everything down to the rotor mess with the seals?

You'll understand when you see it. It CAN mess with the seals from the standpoint that you are dismounting the wheel bearings and the hub so the front inner wheel seal will be moved from its running location. If you do NOTHING with the wheel bearings, you CAN re-install as long as you don't booger the wheel seal and don;t pull the inner wheel bearing.

I am of the school, where if I have to pull it off, I'm installing a new seal.

Look up a FSM for your truck or go online Toyota Parts | Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota parts | Toyota Parts Online and look at the parts breakdown and you'll see it. Can't get the rotor off without removing the hub. Can't change the studs without removing the rotor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom