Front hub-disc dichotomy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malleus

Far west of Siegen
Threads
Wasting time annotating my FSM, at the close of my overdue front axle service, and found this:
(from the brake section, BR-18)
1698076644234.png

(from the axle section, SA-10)
1698076672528.png

So, what am I missing? Are these two torque values for the same bolt?

The first image in the first illustration and the second image in the second illustration in 3(g) above appear to be wrong; those are the wheel bolts the wrench is on, and they're pressed in. There isn't a bolt head on that surface to put a wrench on.

FWIW, I used the higher of the two values. No broken bolts.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but this is how I would interpret the wording/directions. The pictures are confusing but I think they are talking about two different sets of bolts. The first set is referring to the bolts securing the disc to the hub while the second references replacing the hub studs (where you secure the wheel nuts).

The wheel studs are pressed into the hub, not torqued. They go in from the inner face; the only bolts that go in from the outer face are the bolts securing the hub to the rotor. The wrench on the inner face of the rotor can't be doing anything; there's no bolt head there.

Those are the only two sets of bolts on the wheel, at this point of assembly.

Your original post does pose a questions that I cannot definitively give an answer to, my response is spit balling a possible scenario.

The graphics for these steps are misleading and I do not care for them. What I stated is what I am assuming from the directions, and the torque value is from the lugs nuts onto the newly installed studs possibly to ensure they are seated before install?

Perhaps during translation from the Japanese language, there was confusion and the pictographs simply got placed in the wrong spot. I do read the steps section of the FSM as a reference but always confirm torque specs, etc., in the specifications pages at the end of the chapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom