Front end Rebuild and beef up done! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
This took me awhile, pulled apart the whole front end, painted everything in hi temp black paint, new seals, bearings, etc. Used marlin inner seals and longfield wipers. Painted calipers and put in 100 series pads. While I was at it I modified and welded up a trailgear diff cap I found. I also used a piece of the cut off cap as a slider for the drain plug. I got tired of having the metal around the drain plug folded over. I also installed some heavy duty sway bar links I got from landtank. Painted the axle and scrubbed down the fenderwells and painted them with some bedliner spray.

Got a cold weather version low torque rebuilt starter from kragen and popped it in as well. Easy to do right now as the starter location was wide open with everything off.

Now I have to still do the rear axle rebuild and brakes, beef up the rear control arms with some angle iron and install the landtank links on the rear.

I wanted to thank George at Valley Hybrids for all his help on this build! I got all the parts needed from George and he was a great resource. Took my calls when I had questions and got emergency parts to me quick! Most of the time I just call him and tell him what I need and he sends it, we don't really discuss pricing much because I know he is always honest with me. George, post up your info if you see this.

enjoy the pics!
188752_1930493147087_1385007954_32291325_7668219_n.jpg
196209_1930494427119_1385007954_32291327_1240933_n.jpg
180960_1903450271032_1385007954_32245419_4059161_n.jpg

Last edited:
nice work! Wish I would have had to time to paint all my stuff and bedline the fenderwells

Wow, it looks very clean... Nice work!

Hey, it all looks great!

It looks like you used a band saw or plasma cutter to trim a couple inches of height off the TG diff armor. Any other changes other than shortening it? Certainly will be a bunch easier to get at the fill plug now. How about a better picture of the front diff and armor?

My front end needs rebuilding, but I don't know if I can do the job. I like your attention to detail Noah.

nice work! Wish I would have had to time to paint all my stuff and bedline the fenderwells

Hey timer00: Have you done the front end service on your rig yet? I plan on doing mine this spring, would be nice to have someone local who's done it.

Hey timer00: Have you done the front end service on your rig yet? I plan on doing mine this spring, would be nice to have someone local who's done it.

I did mine last summer yea. I wouldn't mind helping

That kind of art work brings a tear to my eye, and stirs up my emotions. Nice work :clap:

I need to get me some of that diff armor, my diff already has a of couple dents in it.
Its only a matter of time till I dent it to much

Hey, it all looks great!

It looks like you used a band saw or plasma cutter to trim a couple inches of height off the TG diff armor. Any other changes other than shortening it? Certainly will be a bunch easier to get at the fill plug now. How about a better picture of the front diff and armor?

yes, I used an angle grinder to cut off about 2 inches of the TG diff armor cap. I was concerned that while flexing the steering rod would contact it. I can take a pic later today, please pm me to remind me if I forget.

thx guys, drove it for the first time this morning to work, steering is way tighter, my bearings must have been loose, brakes much better as well.

I am sure the brakes will even get better when I do the rear pads and discs, as well as put on the ipor SS lines I have. My stock rubber lines are shot and cracking all over the place, kinda makes me nervous, but hopefully they will hold up until I get the chance to swap them out.

Noah

I just got rebuild kit and 100 pads and bushings, I am gathering the rest in pieces to help keep cost lower, going to to the same thing, paint everything and make like new again. I got caster correction bushings and steering dampner going in as well. I should think about doing the armor at same time. Looks good!

nice work noah! :cheers:

thanks for the kind words, i appreciate it. part of my job as far as i'm concerned...... :)

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

diff armor pics

per a few requests, here are a few more pics of the diff armor, like I mentioned I cut off about 2 inches of the top of the Trailgear diff armor to clear the steering arm, then used a piece of the cut off that had a break bend in it for a little slider for the diff plug. plan to test it this weekend.

Noah
IMG00185-20110309-1204.jpg
IMG00186-20110309-1204.jpg

good idea on the drain plug "ramp". the magnetic allen drain plugs are just about a "must" as well.

action pics!!!!!!:steer:

georg

thx geoge, there won't be too many hard core action pics for awhile, building this wagon up slowly as I have time and $, still need to get my sliders built before I hit any real rocks. Plan is to keep it on 33's and armor the hell out of it, so I can slide through anything basically. I would like to eventually take it to the rubithon when it is all done.

Noah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom