front end question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Planning on doing my first cut and turn, the cruiser the front end is going on is a 77 (front disk) I dont want to screw up my only disk front end, but I ve got several xtra drum front end. My question is, are the housings the same on the disk and drum front end? Would putting my disks on a drum from end be as simple as just bolting on the two sterring knuckles. (If this makes any sense) Thanks.

Yes they will both work but you will have to enlarge the ends of the drum axle housing so that the larger disk birfielsd will fit into the housing.

the housings themselves are nearly identical...minor stuff for brake lines and such....course, this assumes your drum fronts aren't ball/claw type axles, which are IMO worthless to anyone other than resto types...means your drum housings outta be from later 1968 to 1975....

71-Cruiser "may" be right....75-older axles run coarse birfs, but the 76-78 also run a smaller than "normal" fine spline birf, and grinding will be required on either axle to run the larger/standard 79+ birfields (minitruck, 60, 62, later FJ40 and 55, and ALL aftermarket options)

Ok, I think I got most of the story, the front end I want to turn is a 73 out of a fj55, so from what I gather, its gonna be kinda like doing a mini-disk conversion. Is this right? Is the 77 front end housing any better than the 73? Would I be better off to just have someone do it since this is my first or is it really as straight forward as everone says. I know alot of questions, guess im just trying to crawl away from cutting on my front end. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom