Front End Jumps Around (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys! I just bought my first LC a couple weeks ago. I have a long list of projects and I've searched for answers where I could.

Question #1: My front end walks around a bit and has generally rough handling. It also gladly grabs on to edges in the road and takes off in whatever direction it feels.

The tires are worn close to death. The caster correction was completed with the lift and it does have a steering dampener. I haven't done anything to her yet - just drive and smile.

I have three theories on the problem - would love your input:
(a) Previous owner put OME 2.5" heavies in the front, but there is NOT a big bumper or any other extra weight in the front.
(b) Tires are worn to death and are out of balance and shape
(c) Land Cruiser bounce around and I just need to get used to it.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Dave

With only a 2.5 inch lift, handling should be near to stock. My guess is tires are worn badly, and the caster correction is not correct, toe-in may be off too. You need an alignment to get the caster readings, and determine how to correct it from there. What kind of caster correction was used with the lift? I have 2.5 heavies all around, with no bumpers/armor/storage systems. It drove like crap w/out caster correction for a year or so, then I put on the Slee 3 deg bushings and got it just in spec and it drives great now, made a huge difference.

Probably a mix of crappy tires, poor alignment (caster, toe in, etc.), and worn steering components.

I would have a buddy rock the steering wheel back and forth while you sit under the front bumper and listen/feel for anything with play in it. Also, check the track bar for play at the frame or axle.

I would blame the tires as having been worn down without rotation. Since your tires are already worn out, it won't do you any harm to get new ones, though you might want to borrow a pair just to see if an improvement comes immediately.

Road pull can be an indication or worn tie rod ends. The test is to dismount them and see if you can move them by bare hand. If you can move one, replace all of them.

Bouncing tires can be because the tires are over inflated. They can also be caused by bad shock absorbers. Shocks can be destroyed by being force fit when they are the wrong size. Make sure your shock length and spring are right for your lift.

You do any or all of these, you will also need to check your wheel balance, camber and caster, but only after you have done the others. These should be the last thing to do.

Kalawang

Thanks guys.

The caster correction is the offset bushing type (or whatever you call it) which I can see, but I can't confirm it was done correctly. The shocks are those common to the OME 2.5" lift.

If the pristine spare is any indication, I would guess that the tires have never been rotated.

I should mention the the truck has nearly 230,000 mostly freeway miles. The price left me with some budget for fixes - maybe I should replace some of the steering components whether them seem worn or not. Any suggestions?

I believe I saw the correct caster angle at a few degrees backwards. Is there a tried method for measuring the angle?

Tires and alignment are in the near future.

X4 to all the above. Check suspension and steering components.

The 80 series are quite smooth riding and handling considering their pedigree.

No, they aren't supposed to be "bouncy" but rather smooth and solid feel.

Welcome :flipoff2:!

Hey guys! I just bought my first LC a couple weeks ago. I have a long list of projects and I've searched for answers where I could.

Question #1: My front end walks around a bit and has generally rough handling. It also gladly grabs on to edges in the road and takes off in whatever direction it feels.

The tires are worn close to death. The caster correction was completed with the lift and it does have a steering dampener. I haven't done anything to her yet - just drive and smile.

I have three theories on the problem - would love your input:
(a) Previous owner put OME 2.5" heavies in the front, but there is NOT a big bumper or any other extra weight in the front.
(b) Tires are worn to death and are out of balance and shape
(c) Land Cruiser bounce around and I just need to get used to it.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Dave

When I ran heavy springs and no extra weight with OME bushings the handling was pretty bad. Now with a bumper and winch, its only marginally better. My guess is still out of spec. I'd get an alignment check and see what the castor readings come back as. My guess is you are a few degrees under spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom