Front end Concern. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I have browsed around here for a few weeks now looking for some insight to my problem but with no luck, so I have signed up to get some advice hopefully.

I have a HZJ75RP Cruiser from Mid 1998.
Its a Farm Ute, although we try to look after it.

We have the following problem.
When driving around with the hubs locked in there is a fairly obvious rattle which sounds to be coming from the front left side, more than the right. With the hubs in Free there is no noise, and also with the Hubs locked, and 4WD engaged there is no rattle.

The ute did have quite wide 15" tyres on it, although we have changed back to the factory 16" splits for now.

The rattle developed before this.

Also, from the left front there is a "whoosing" sound similar to what a wheel bearing or brake pad might make. Not sure if this is related, this has occured more recently.

If anyone can shed any light on where to start looking that would be fantastic.

I'll chuck up some info of the ute later on.

cheers,

Mark.

We have the following problem.
When driving around with the hubs locked in there is a fairly obvious rattle which sounds to be coming from the front left side, more than the right. With the hubs in Free there is no noise, and also with the Hubs locked, and 4WD engaged there is no rattle.

Mark.

Maybe the spring in the FWH is broke

Thanks for the replies guys.

Birfield sounds scarry... I looked at some info on that.

To check the spring I can just take the hub off yes?

thanks
Mark.

~Yup, just a bunch of 10mm bolts to take of the FWH. The Birf or CV rattle tends to be while turning and in 4 wheel drive. I've had both and the CV/Birf I would say was more of a heavy clicking noise while turning. The CV is not really that scary but a messy one to do;)

thing is with a broken birf if you do not stop the front from turning (unlock the hubs AND unlock the driveshaft) the birf keeps disinigrating and pieces can (and have) get jambed between the nuckle housing and the axle housing end PREVENTING turning of the steering wheel. when this happens it can be a bugger to remove and a bugger just to get off the road or trail.

as i found out last weekend, even once completely issolated the steering issue can still occure so BE CAREFUL when driving home from the trailhead.

So this birf would cause just a rattle when driving along?

Its not when turning. Just when cruising alone the road with the hubs locked in.
Hubs free its all good. Hubs locked AND 4x4 and its fine.

Will take the top of the hub off and check the spring on the weekend. Fairly mechanical... this is just the first 4x4 I've owned.

Its got 210 thou on the clock, so maybe getting some of these front axle parts all replaced now might be worth while.

Appreciate all the replies guys.

thanks

think this through:
hubs locked the outer end of the birf (IF busted) would be truning but the inner isn't = noise
hubs locked and driveshaft engaged both peices are turning at roughly the same speed when going straight ahead (busted or not) = no noise or very little.
hubs locked and driveshaft turning (if busted) while turning the wheel the outer is turning at different speed than inner so noise or even severe noise.

a broken birf sounds more like grinding of metal pieces than a rattling sound of parts in a can.

i understand, 80 series (maybe 100) are bad for worn birfs since full time 4wd.

USUALLY, the rest of the 7*, 6* and 4* series end up with busted instead of worn...

just posting a warning is all...

i understand, 80 series (maybe 100) are bad for worn birfs since full time 4wd.

USUALLY, the rest of the 7*, 6* and 4* series end up with busted instead of worn...

just posting a warning is all...

Hello,

Good advice about a well known weak point. Better safe than sorry...

A couple months ago I found some information about a company selling heavy duty birfields made from a custom alloy, to replace the original ones and endure a lot more punishment.

Has anyone tried any custom alloy birfields?

JuanJ

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the replies that keep coming.

Its definitley more of the rattle in a tin can sound than any grinding metal.
Going to just get a Toyota dealer or reliable 4x4 mechanic to check it out and recommend the best course of action.

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the replies that keep coming.

Its definitley more of the rattle in a tin can sound than any grinding metal.
Going to just get a Toyota dealer or reliable 4x4 mechanic to check it out and recommend the best course of action.

Keep us informed ;)

UPDATE:
OK, so the Ute has spent a week at the Dealer getting looked at.
There were a few issues in the front that needed resolving anyway. King Pins and all the seals were done as well as the Hub Swivel kit and what not. Expensive excersise, but the guys there looked after us really well. Numerous other works done inc Transfer Flange, Both Diff seals and general service (fluids etc)... But the rattle was still there.

Its actually because the front Tail Shaft is bent slightly. When you turn it by hand, it clicks, and when running with the hubs locked in its spinning much quicker and is causing the huge rattle.

So time to wait for next pay and bolt up a new tailshaft.

On the plus, a lot of other things were sorted out, and a new set of Rims and Tyres are finding there way onto the ute in a week when they arrive.

Should be good for a bit longer now anyway.

Thanks for all the replies. CV's ended up being OK though.

cheers,
M

How bent is the shaft? There are places around that can straighten them to some extent.
I think the shaft is about $440 if you shop around.

how did you bend the shaft running ovver patrols?
make sure you get some pics of you rig up mate...

Yeah not too sur how it bent. Mighthave been like that when I got it... Its not obvious to see. I think for the sake of a few hundred I'll just get a new one.

Once the rims and new tyres get fitted I'll throw up a pic.

OK... So maybe not Bent tailshaft.

Ended up being a flogged out Uni-Joint (Like I have never seen before)

Front Tailshaft next to the gearbox. No idea why the Toyo dealership never looked at this.

Ah good to know mate something else too look out for when noise hunting
So the pics??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom