Front end auto lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.autohomeus.com
I am considering an Aussie Locker for the front end of my FJ60, and running an open RE. My question is - - how driveable will this combination be on slippery road conditions in 4WH? Am I going to have a squirelly driver under these conditions?

I do NOT like the way my Expedition handles on snowy mountain roads in AWD mode, and prefer to run 4WH.

Mike S

Save your cash, and put a selectable locker in when you can swing it.

But that is just me.

I'm with Poser, selectable in the rear for first locker, especially if street driven, and even more if street driven in icy/snowy conditions. I've heard bad things about auto lockers in snow.

You wont' like the way an auto locker in front will turn, or not turn with it on the road in 4wd. Even in the rear they are supposed to get squirlly. I'll find out this winter as I just installed an aussie in my rear diff.

Well, I expected that I would only need the locker when the front wheels are engaged, but became concerned about handling in bad weather in 4WH. I guess a manually oeprated locker is the answer.

Mike S

[quote author=7FootYeti link=board=1;threadid=6366;start=msg51407#msg51407 date=1066272206]
You wont' like the way an auto locker in front will turn, or not turn with it on the road in 4wd. Even in the rear they are supposed to get squirlly. I'll find out this winter as I just installed an aussie in my rear diff.
[/quote]

Just play with it a bit Mark. It should not be that bad in a longer wheel base, ie the 60 series, but anyone can wad up a vehicle when things get out of hand..

I played with my ARB's a lot when I first installed them in my 40, on the ice and snow, and it was a handfull when I was trying to operate the vehicle as if thier was no snow or ice, so just be observant, and respectful of what can go on, and you should be ok.

78 and I both run Lock-rights in our 40s and we have a fleet of snowmobiles. The first thing we do when it's time to pull the sled trailers up the mountain is remove the lockrights and go back to open diffs. This year we won't need to because we just got '59 GMC school bus with those huge cement truck fat tires and chains. It is a good tow truck and warm-up shack. Point is, if you do snow you won't like auto-lockers in either end. Get the manual locker so it can be shut off.

Aussie in the rear (if you bought one) and ARB or other selectable up front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom