Front driveshaft missing plug? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere (I'm sure it has) but I couldn't find much, possibly because I don't even know exactly what to search.

I was lubing my driveline today and had an issue I've never had before. I have generally taken the advice of lube until the slip yoke just barely moves (while the tires are on the ground).

Well, the front yoke wasn't moving. I didn't count the number of pumps but probably in the 6-10 range. If it's worth noting I recently bought a new grease gun and it doesn't work all the wonderfully so it may be less vs. a quality gun. Nothing popped. The pressure on the gun handle was pretty normal. Everything went in. And the yoke didn't move. I was a bit surprised and decided to call good it good enough and put it on a list of things to look into.

As I was cleaning up the old grease from the accompanying U-joint I noticed that I was able to stick my finger in center of the sleeve yoke. Lo and behold, at least some amount of my new grease was in there. It appeared to be all new, not any old had been pushed out first.

On my rear driveshaft the sleeve yoke has some sort of plug/cover that protects this location. I should have snapped a picture but had misplaced my phone. As far as I can discern from google diagrams if such a plug exists it's part of the sleeve yoke but I can't find it referenced anywhere.

So I suppose my questions are did I lose this part on the front somehow or does it just not exist? If there is a plug that supposed to be there what in the world is it called? I assume since I couldn't get any pressure to move the yoke that something is amiss. Any other insight?

Thanks in advance,
Evan

When I first owned an 80 I made the mistake of pumping too much grease into the slip yolks. Excess grease popped the plug out of one of the yolks.
I'm pretty sure there should be a plug in both driveshafts

The "plug" is a plate that is about 1" in diameter that is pressed into the center of the yoke and has a small hole drilled in it for relief. If you pump too much, the plate will push out and fall out. If you can see / feel splines in the center of the yoke, then you pushed out the plug LAST time and it's gone.

Is that plug/plate replaceable or does the entire yoke need to be replaced? If it's replaceable does anyone have a part number or more specific name for it?

This is actually only the third time I've done the grease service myself. The first two times I went by the same guidelines and was extremely careful, no plug popped out. It's been serviced by a local shop a few times in between (span of maybe 2 years).

Are they known to randomly pop out or should I be discussing with my shop whether it's possible they blew it?

Now that it's known to be out how much harm is there in heading off for a week long trip to Moab tomorrow before replacing it? About 1200 miles round trip and whatever wheeling miles while there. The trip has been planned and the grease run was just preventative. There weren't any symptoms that led to it. Also, if the plug doesn't randomly pop out the rig made a run in Moab over Christmas without it as well (it's not a DD and hasn't been to a shop in between). Could I get away with simply adding a few pumps a day for the trip?

Either way it sounds like it's time to pull the driveshaft soon and see how bad it is.

Thanks for the input,
Evan

Is that plug/plate replaceable or does the entire yoke need to be replaced? If it's replaceable does anyone have a part number or more specific name for it?

This is actually only the third time I've done the grease service myself. The first two times I went by the same guidelines and was extremely careful, no plug popped out. It's been serviced by a local shop a few times in between (span of maybe 2 years).

Are they known to randomly pop out or should I be discussing with my shop whether it's possible they blew it?

Now that it's known to be out how much harm is there in heading off for a week long trip to Moab tomorrow before replacing it? About 1200 miles round trip and whatever wheeling miles while there. The trip has been planned and the grease run was just preventative. There weren't any symptoms that led to it. Also, if the plug doesn't randomly pop out the rig made a run in Moab over Christmas without it as well (it's not a DD and hasn't been to a shop in between). Could I get away with simply adding a few pumps a day for the trip?

Either way it sounds like it's time to pull the driveshaft soon and see how bad it is.

Thanks for the input,
Evan
You can still run it. The plate acts as a cover to keep out dirt. With it open, the dirt will accumulate in the grease and increase wear on the splines.

When you get back, take it apart and clean it and regrease it.

Thanks so much!

Truth be told, at this point I don't really know how long it's been without. It could be a while (since my last greasing) and that spans a number of wheeling trips and some random driving.

I'll def be pulling it apart after this trip. Just relieved to hear I don't have to cancel, it's been a while in the making.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom