Front disc brake kit question and or feedback (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have experience with the JT Outfitters front disc brake conversion kit?
I have been debating on purchasing it because it seems so simple. The kit is around 600$ shipped.

My other option is to hunt for parts to keep toyota parts on my truck but that seems to be a challenge. Living in the midwest seems to limit the parts found local.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,

Goebs

I would use Toyota stuff. you know the quality and you know what the parts are for replacements.

Stock were still working well 19 years and 80,000 miles after I did the conversion. Stock is surprisingly simple, at 19 I figured it out without any outside help. I've read bad things on mud about JT kit breaking.

Here's a thread. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/jtoutfitters-front-disc-conversion.205576/

For the same money, you can buy hubs and knuckles from someone & rebuilt calipers from NAPA or another jobber. My vote is Toyota! For $800 I can buy a running & driving 60, part it out, and get a lifetime supply of parts I need... After selling spares I'd be way ahead.

I would contact @orangefj45 Georg at Valley Hybrids. He can probably but together a Toyota parts kit for you.

Hey Goebeler! How the heck are ya? Which one of your trucks is this for?

+1 on contacting Georg at Valley Hybrids, I have his number if you want to call.

I have had one on for about eight years. They use Monte carlo calipers and 1/2 ton chevy rotors that have had the center hole enlarged. I think the only problem I had was some wrong length bolts. They don't have dust shields either but no problems otherwise. I thought it was a lot easier than removing knuckles, grinding housings, etc.

SSCR,
Been well. Long winter but seems to be over finally. I am looking for disc set up for my 75 fj40. It's a clean one I have had for years now. My boy loves driving it so it needs some better brakes.
Going to purchase some stock parts from a 60. Major thanks to 3 puppies for helping!!
Glad I posted up cause I was ready to pull the trigger on the JT kit and would have most likely been disappointed.

Goebs

I did the conversion, sourcing parts myself. I love it.
In my opinion, to put it bluntly, jt outfitters sucks.
I wouldn't walk across the street to spit on 'em if they were on fire.

'82 mini-pickup knuckles, etc. FJ60 vented rotors, '03 taco calipers, and a '94 FJZ80 master cylinder

Are you going to do rear discs also? If they're fine for now, you'll find drums work well with the discs up front. However, it's likely more economical to swap in rear discs than rebuild drums. Rear discs do work better and require less servicing and maintenance.

Parts from Poser seem to be the way to go when you do them.

'82 mini-pickup knuckles, etc. FJ60 vented rotors, '03 taco calipers, and a '94 FJZ80 master cylinder

Do you have pics of these parts installed? I have the mini truck knuckles w/steering arms, spindles, hubs, and calipers. My question is what about the birfs? I have searched but no real solid conclusions.

I have the mini truck knuckles w/steering arms, spindles, hubs, and calipers. My question is what about the birfs? I have searched but no real solid conclusions.

what is the question on the birfs? birfs are the same from late 1979 thru 1990 landcruiser and 1979 thru 1985 mini truck are the same piece

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom