Front diff starting to be noisy :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know, should of check levels for my across country venture. I'm near Swift Current Sask. heading towards to Squamish BC. Seals are leaking, I figure I might be low on oil. Heading to Calgary today so tomorrow I can stop somewhere to dump the old oil and fill up with new and be on my way to finish my venture. If someone can help me out, I'd be grateful for that. I can be reached at 705 blahnik 845 blahnik 9190 blahnik!

Sleep deprived questioning, doh! Diff is unlocked and tranny in 2H. I think it can be the wheel bearing. What a windy kind of day going to Calgary, 100 more reasons to add a turbo ASAP.

Check for hot things after driving. Jack it up & give the wheels a wiggle to check the bearings, you can change those with basic tools. Check the transfer case & hubs are actually disengaging properly, if they aren't check diff & driveshaft for play with a wheel jacked up.

Cheers
Clint

Made it to Squamish and heading back home today. Bearing still noisy, but not getting worse. I'm sure can drive some distance before it decides to bite the bullet. Thanks for the tip on checking the bearing. I've swerved a few times to see on noises differences and there wasn't.

If you need a shop to look at it call EBI in Port Coquitlam:

(877) 299-3540

Made it to Squamish and heading back home today. Bearing still noisy, but not getting worse. I'm sure can drive some distance before it decides to bite the bullet. Thanks for the tip on checking the bearing. I've swerved a few times to see on noises differences and there wasn't.

You sound like me in my younger days before I learned the hard way that a little time stopping & checking stuff can save a lot of $$$$ & wrenching time :doh: Assuming it is a worn bearing, a handful of grease & a re-set of the wheel bearing preload may be the difference between getting home & being stranded with a bunch of other busted parts to add to the bill.

Check for hot things after driving. Jack it up & give the wheels a wiggle to check the bearings, you can change those with basic tools. Check the transfer case & hubs are actually disengaging properly, if they aren't check diff & driveshaft for play with a wheel jacked up.

Cheers
Clint
Made it to Squamish in one piece. Loaded up the daughter's content and headed back home. I'm at Sicamus for the night. Bearing still noisy and getting ready to check them out. Thanks for the tips on checking things out

Made it to Squamish in one piece. Loaded up the daughter's content and headed back home. I'm at Sicamus for the night. Bearing still noisy and getting ready to check them out. Thanks for the tips on checking things out
Double posting, doh! Calgary could be the next stop for repairs. I've taken the northern route for less traffic but hilly has hell.

Loose on driver's side and more loose on passenger's side. Toyota dealer in Salmon Arm but probably have to order parts. So repacking and reload bearings could be done, figuring how to go about it. It's be awhile since I did it. No FM with me :(
Here's how I think it's done;
Remove the locking hub
Now bearing is exposed
Remove cutter pin
Remove nut, washers and bearing
Repack with grease
Reinstall and do preload
Put locking hub back
And done
Hope the cone washers are not troublesome and bearings are still intact

Good Luck!
If you're lucky someone local has parts, just start chatting up the locals.

In Brooks AB. What I did this morning was check for local shops but all were busy, busy. Good for them but not to me. I end up taking the worst bearing apart and tighten it up maybe a 1/4 of a turn or less. Used a needle tip grease gun a local chap offered to me. Last time I've taken a hub apart was about 26 yrs ago. The famous snapping came to mind quickly. Noises are still there but not getting worse, it could very well be the cruiser normal sounding characteristic. The play in the wheels reported earlier could of been the steering linkage flexing. Like I said the passenger side was more pronounced because the little play in the bearing added to the looseness in the wheel check. Doesn't feel any more than the drivers side now. Tomorrow will be oil change time due to mileage pilling up. Maybe repair stone chip from Pemberton BC :( I should reach Manitoba or Ontario if things go well.

Ironically, I envied you for being there. One summer I drove and camped from Virginia to Texas to Calgary, Banff, Victoria BC, Jasper, Trans Canada Highway back to Ontario and Niagara Falls. Canada is awesome.

I used the “light activated” wind screen repair kit that comes with a suction cup and syringe. Worked just fine on stone chip damage.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my adventure and my country ;)
The world has many hidden gems to be explored including our own countries! It's the suction cup repair treatment I'm looking at getting done.
Those windshields are starting to be a costly replacement :(

Moving along

20200611_150446.jpg

Did a stop over in Winnipeg to see Simonliew regarding bearing. Front driver side ok. We suspect rear is the culprit.
I replace them 2yrs ago, oh well. Was nice to meet up with a member of this forum. He's got a nice collection of cruisers. It was a short visit because I still had a long drive to do. In Thunderbay now.

Keep an eye out for the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory if you stay on 17.
Its at the bottom of a mine somewhere near there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom