Front Control Arm Bushing Orientation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just pressed in the frame side front control arm bushing using the a vertical orientation which was the way it was originally oriented. I see that the toyota FSM now recommends the holes be oriented in a horizontal orientation (another post indicates this advice was updated by toyota at some point).

Would it be a bad idea to press the bushing back out and rotate it? Or are these bushings only good for one press fitting?

I just pressed in the frame side front control arm bushing using the a vertical orientation which was the way it was originally oriented. I see that the toyota FSM now recommends the holes be oriented in a horizontal orientation (another post indicates this advice was updated by toyota at some point).

Would it be a bad idea to press the bushing back out and rotate it? Or are these bushings only good for one press fitting?
Unlikely it will survive a press out and press in again. You can try it.

So, you copied what was there, and it lasted what...28 years.
Unless there was a recall where Mr.T was swapping bushing orientation, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

So, you copied what was there, and it lasted what...28 years.
Unless there was a recall where Mr.T was swapping bushing orientation, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

There wasn't a recall, but there was an installation orientation change TSB from Toyota.

Read all about it.

Attachments

• 80 SERIES SUSPENSION ARM CHANGE TSB.pdf
    31.1 KB · Views: 136
You would be very lucky if they survived being pressed out and back in again. When I was pressing mine in, I struggled to keep them oriented because I was propping up the arm, trying to keep everything aligned and trying not to kill myself. I'm sure they're not perfectly straight, which may be worse than 90* off.

I guess what I'm saying is I would probably leave them :hillbilly:

Interesting, it took quite awhile (6-7 years) to figure that out and publish a correction.
Still wouldn't sweat it.

1605717019291.png

Did you lube the bushing when installed/ if you put something on them and had a nice square method of installation, they might come out and go back in. If you didn't lube them, I think they might be one and done.

No Lube used (just the freezer method) - I guess i will probably just leave the one misoriented bushing since they all started out in the vertical orientation from the factory.

Did the bushing part itself actually change over time? If I am reading the TSB it looks like its there is no change to the bushing part number.

No Lube used (just the freezer method) - I guess i will probably just leave the one misoriented bushing since they all started out in the vertical orientation from the factory.

Did the bushing part itself actually change over time? If I am reading the TSB it looks like its there is no change to the bushing part number.

No part number change.

More than likely engineers (based on real world longevity reports from the field) found that the bushings lasted longer/were more reliable in the second orientation. It did take a number of years to issue the TSB, so this logic makes sense. Could also have to do with interface on the axle side of things or even the control arm side of things thus the related bushing orientation change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom