front axle snap rings/clips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
Threads
Website
www.4x4panama.com
I got my 30 spline set .. but it came without snap rings clips, I know it can be used as is .. but which should be the recomendation .. ?

I usually only put the outher ones on the birf .. but not sure If I need to put the inners ( inner to birf )

I appreciate the comments and opinions ..

thanks !

David

?? no clip holding the birfield to axle shaft? i think your better off with one. i cant believe they dont include these things...

are they longfields? they always tape the c-clip inside the brochure in the package

no clips at all .. and are nitro ..

My question came from the fact I manage to broke my both front inners and both broke pieces keep in the birf .. ( that's going to be nice to remove to use 'em )

main.php

without clips that won't be a problem ..

my only concern with running no clips is that the birfield might slide into the hub too far or the inner shaft to slide into the diff...

You can always weld a bolt to the broken stub to give you something to yank on for pulling the broken stub out of the birf.

my only concern with running no clips is that the birfield might slide into the hub too far or the inner shaft to slide into the diff...

on to the hub maybe .. but ARB have the block spacer in so the inner won't got anyplace in ..

You can always weld a bolt to the broken stub to give you something to yank on for pulling the broken stub out of the birf.

that's true .. did you use to open the birf ( pull the start ) to fit the clip ?

Just got a set of Nitro 27 spline replacements for the HJ60 and they have the clips in the packaging. Note sure why the 30 spline kit would not have them? I would highly recommend running the clips there is noting to keep the axle from sliding into the housing if not.

if you don't run the spring clips in the birf you need to do a martack to the axle splines where they slide into the diff. This stops them from sliding in too far and slipping off the seal and redusing spline contact in thebirf

David, I didn't quite understand your question.

I got no clips .. so I got the axles and the birf .. how I can manage to put the clip and then slide the inner in the birf . ? or I should pull the birf star set the inner in put the clip and then asseble again the star in the birf

To get the axle into the birf wrap a small zip tie around the inner clip to get it started, then cut off the zip tie and push the axle the rest of the way together. Yes this did work for me at Rubicon last summer when I destroyed a birf. Or like Chet said run a martack on the inner axles.

To get that broken stub out of the old birfs, have you tried disassembling them? Yes the cages and balls do come out but I haven't done it with a broken stub in there.

Tony

Thanks David that makes sense to me now. The zip tie trick sounds good. All I did was put the clip on the inner and then with the birf in a vice tapped the other end of the inner into the birf watching to make sure the clip squeezed in and it popped right in.

I'm not sure you could rotate the star far enough to get the balls back in if you put the star on the inner first and tried to reassemble. I seem to remember a demonstration on a birf and the star had to be turned pretty far to get the balls to pop out. With that small of a stub left in there you might be able to do that like Kynot suggests.

Looking at the reassembly in the FSM, you can't disassemble the star and then put it together with the axle in place. The cage gets inserted at a right angle to the bell.

And it is really not a big deal to push the inner shaft into the birf, especially at the bench. Doing it on Cadillac Hill at Rubicon is where it got a bit trickier.

Tony

Thanks guys .. just looking for advice .. last time I did ( about 7 years ago or so ) was a huge PITA get the inner in with the clip in the inner ..

i did the martack and was pleased with it. did three tacks on the inner.
Also make sure to grind the tack level with the splines, so it does not protrude.

But i did it because i was expecting to change birfs often, and so i did.
In your case, with Longfields, i would do it with the clips.

x2 on mounting the star on the inner and then into the birf. No can do.

I am pretty confident that if you weld / grind / modify aftermarket shafts at all, you void the warranty. I'd stick with the clips.

I will post pics of the birf grease pack and assembled .. was one :banana: job put in with the new clips that I got from Beno .. ( thanks ! pal )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom