Front Axle Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/front-axle/
That's the photo album...got one side torn down today, other side tomorrow morning.

Process will include complete rebuild, including:
Reworking/shimming the current EZ-Locker
gaskets and seals from Curt @ CruiserOutfitters.com
histeer from Luke @ 4x4Labs.com (replacing the AllPro arms)
lockout studs/cones from CDan
reinstall Longfields from toyotasuperaxles.com
new 4340 Gen2 inners from Dave @ polyperformance.com
hydroassist from Matt @ westtexasoffroad.com
RustBullet paint from itkillsrust.com

...and probably more stuff as I find more things wrong with it...lol

interestingly, I decided to eliminate the rear drain plug when I rebuilt that axle....here is a photo of how my front axle returned from Moab...YES, that plug is nearly out, but amazingly wasn't leaking.

Looks like I'm gonna weld this one shut too...that WAS a nice allen-type plug from Marlin too....oops...

04-drain.jpg

Probably be another week-two prior to completion, so be patient....

slow poke...

hey woody did ya ever post any more pics of your rig after the ramp test? maybe on some trails?

Thats so cool to see my first birf with grease in the knuckle instead of a oily gooo.

Good shots, will be helpfull for the newbs.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=15991;start=msg153162#msg153162 date=1084081758]
Hes just replacing the conewashers and studs. Knowing Woody a few are probably sheared off or buggered up. :flipoff2:

CDan is a toyota parts man-so unless they were chromo from factory, I doubt he's sellin chromo anything. :D
Cdan's the man-some places won't sell just the studs/cones, but only complete hubs
[/quote]

Is he on this board? I assume he and the dealer he works for give a TLCA discount, right?

he is- im cruiserdan.
I don't know about TLCA discount, but he does give a super-duper special ih8mudder discout. :D
Besides, he knows his shiz, much better than talkin to a computer punchin desk jockey that drives a 95 civic.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=15991;start=msg153180#msg153180 date=1084085313]
he is- im cruiserdan.
I don't know about TLCA discount, but he does give a super-duper special ih8mudder discout. :D
Besides, he knows his shiz, much better than talkin to a computer punchin desk jockey that drives a 95 civic.
[/quote]

Very true, the local dealer has nothing in stock and their price are insane. I order my parts through Cabe Toyota in CA. Even with shipping, it's cheaper than Nye Frontier Toyota (local dealer BTW).

Cruiserdan is the man when it comes to cruiser parts and advice. He's also a super nice guy with a great family-I had the honor of wheeling with him in Moab. He'll track those studs down for you no sweat. In fact, I think he keeps a complete 80 series in parts form at his dealership-just so he always has spares for his 80. :D He's gotten me some obscure parts for my 60-usually the local guys make me come around to their side of the computer to pick out what I want. I'll guess the studs will be cheap-but the cone washers are suprisingly $.

Thanks for all the great pics Woody. I havn't taken apart my axle yet so it's great to see the process in pics. All us newbies appreciate it!

Got the other side torn down and the diff pulled...had some BAD bangs from it in Moab, usually a sign that the EZ-Locker is dying...

pulled it, took a dial caliper and checked the gap...."supposed" to be 5/32" (.152). Allowable range is between .145 and .170.

Mine was .210....uuuhhhh....no wonder it made noise.

Side gear shims/washers are .110. Time to contact CDan and get some thicker ones.

.210 minus .150 = .060
.060 divided by 2 = .030
.110 plus .030 = .140 per shim

woody,,,your birfs look a bit dry :) Did you already clean them partially then re-insert them for pics?

k

[quote author=inacoma link=board=1;threadid=15991;start=msg153592#msg153592 date=1084177819]
woody,,,your birfs look a bit dry :) Did you already clean them partially then re-insert them for pics?
[/quote]

nope...the inner seals had crapped and the gear lube had washed the birfs nicely....lol I was a bit past due for this process....

mocking up the hydro assist ram this evening....this might take some thinking.

43-hydroram6.jpg

WOW!

did all that sand fall out of your diff?!?

24-drainplug1.jpg

:D :D :D

so seriously though, did you just tap the existing metal on the diff, or did you weld a new ring to make it thicker?

great picks! That ram is sweeeeeeeet ;)

You could send the left arm back to luke and get a new one that looks like a mirror of your right arm. That way the ram mounts from the side of the pumpkin to the left arm. I'm actually mounting mine behind the axle from the pumpkin to the left arm so it out of harms way. Do you have enough room to do that?

for the front removeable diff, I grabbed a spare POS rear housing, ground out the weld ring used for the stock rear cover, and then welded it onto the front housing...gave me not only the bolt pattern but more beef too. However, it was a MAJOR PITA...honestly, next time, I think it would be easier to pull the knuckles off and swap housings...lol

I'm gonna mock up the behind-axle idea tonight on the DS.....believe I've got room, but with my axle offset on the springs it may be too tight.

I am getting ready to do the front knuckle rebuild. Was looking at your older thread and the link to yours appears broken(http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/front-axle/). is there a place I can see this album?
Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom