Front axle ID help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm disassembling my front axle for a cut and turn and making sure I have all the correct parts for the rebuild. I had purchased a front axle/knuckle rebuild kit for pre-75 axles and some of the parts aren't right. My FJ40 is Feb 1970 but has Warn hubs and discs. Not sure if just the hubs and brakes were changed or the whole axle. I need to know so I can order the right parts. Anyone have a way I can ID my axle?

Thanks,
Stephan

Hi all,

Ah . . . . pics would be helpful! :idea:

Seriously, if your FJ40 is 1970, but it has front disc brakes, then it is not stock. Either later model TLC disc brakes have been installed, or an aftermarket disc brake kit (Man-A-Fre sold a Wilwood-brand front disc brake conversion for Land Cruiser drum brake front axles.)

Regards,

Alan

Here are a few pics to help ID. Also, the end of the birf is threaded and a bolt and washer hold it to the inside of the hub. The birf pulled free from the axle shaft. After I pulled the axle shaft out, I saw the two snap rings grooves, one with a snap ring and one empty. I'm assuming there's supposed to be a snap ring in the outer groove to hold the bird to the end of the axle shaft, or does the bolt and washer in the end of the birf do that job? The hubs both have "M239" stamped on the outside.

IMG_4497.JPG

DSC03929.JPG

DSC03944.JPG

DSC03984.JPG

Couple more. The axle is bare on each end now but I took quite a few pics along the way so let me know if there are specific pics that would help.

DSC03985.JPG

DSC03987.JPG

DSC03930.JPG

Hi all,

Stephan, from looking at the pics you posted it appears that your 40 has later model TLC disc brakes installed! :)

So, you need the front axle re-build parts kit for a US-market 1976 - 89 Land Cruiser.

Regards,

Alan

I'm disassembling my front axle for a cut and turn and making sure I have all the correct parts for the rebuild. I had purchased a front axle/knuckle rebuild kit for pre-75 axles and some of the parts aren't right. My FJ40 is Feb 1970 but has Warn hubs and discs. Not sure if just the hubs and brakes were changed or the whole axle. I need to know so I can order the right parts. Anyone have a way I can ID my axle?

Thanks,
Stephan

Hi all,

Yes, there is suppose to be a snap ring to hold the end of the inner axle shaft in the Birfield joint.

The bolt & washer on the hub end of the Birfield is there to anchor the CV & inner axle shaft (to keep them from shifting in & out.)

Regards,

Alan

Here are a few pics to help ID. Also, the end of the birf is threaded and a bolt and washer hold it to the inside of the hub. The birf pulled free from the axle shaft. After I pulled the axle shaft out, I saw the two snap rings grooves, one with a snap ring and one empty. I'm assuming there's supposed to be a snap ring in the outer groove to hold the bird to the end of the axle shaft, or does the bolt and washer in the end of the birf do that job? The hubs both have "M239" stamped on the outside.

Thanks, Alan. Do you know a source and part number for the axle shaft to birf snap ring that I'm missing? Also, do you have a part number for the washer at the end of the birf? The one that came out is domed.

Thanks,

Stephan

Hi all,

Contact Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters, he can hook you up with these small parts.

While you are doing the front axle, consider installing the Marlin Crawler heavy duty axle seals.

Regards,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom